Sign in to follow this  
Gantry

At Large Bids Announced

149.  Wrestlestat has Hunter Ladnier (Harvard) at 43, Michael Sprague (American) at 41.  Against common opponents, Ladnier is 19-14, Sprague is 16-18.  Ladnier is 2-0 lifetime against Sprague and just beat him 7-3 at EIWAs for 5th place.  NCAA takes Sprague?!?

Barlow McGhee, huh?

As a Mizzou fan, I'm still awfully surprised by that one.

Me too.  Looks like the options were limited as Norstrem made it with an 11-14 record.  Tough deal for Akins from Buffalo as he wrestled better than Barlow all year, but lost to him at MACs. 

Me too.  Looks like the options were limited as Norstrem made it with an 11-14 record.  Tough deal for Akins from Buffalo as he wrestled better than Barlow all year, but lost to him at MACs. 

Akins got hosed 7 of his 10 losses are against guys in the field and he earned a bid for the MAC.The system is flawed since losses dont matter and niether does earning a bid for your conference

Congrats to the ACC for being the only conference to qualify over two thirds of its starters, including every one of its 133s, heavyweights, and Finesilvers.

It will be interesting to see how this converts to NCAA scoring and AA honors.

Wow, a HWT from UVA qualified with a 9-17 record. Would be funny if he placed, huh? He EARNED his spot, too! Worst "at large" record I see was Norstrem from VTech: 11-14.

I wouldn’t say he earned his spot. He didn’t actually win a match. He just got lucky when Solomon got a concussion. Could have been 0-20 and would have qualified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t say he earned his spot. He didn’t actually win a match. He just got lucky when Solomon got a concussion. Could have been 0-20 and would have qualified.

It might be time to review the "auto bids". I never liked it anyway, seems goofy that a kid goes 20-0 and the CONFERENCE earns a bid to NCAAs. 

Isn't it situations like that, or at least concerns about them, that caused them to take away the Big 12s qualifier status and force them to add the WWC schools? 

It might be time to review the "auto bids". I never liked it anyway, seems goofy that a kid goes 20-0 and the CONFERENCE earns a bid to NCAAs. 

Its an edge case.  Having the conference earn bids instead of the wrestler means that everyone has a shot once the postseason starts. I'm in favor of removing an allocation if a guy medically forfeits out of a tournament without actually wrestling, but in this case Solomon actually got injured during the tournament. Not much you can do there. 

Its an edge case. Having the conference earn bids instead of the wrestler means that everyone has a shot once the postseason starts. I'm in favor of removing an allocation if a guy medically forfeits out of a tournament without actually wrestling, but in this case Solomon actually got injured during the tournament. Not much you can do there.

Solomon did win his first match and does deserve to go.

Maybe they could put something in there that says you must have at least one win over an auto qualifier during the year to be considered?

Edit: considered to steal a bid that is. For the UVA guy in this case.

Edited by OrangeEffect

Solomon did win his first match and does deserve to go.

Maybe they could put something in there that says you must have at least one win over an auto qualifier during the year to be considered?

Edit: considered to steal a bid that is. For the UVA guy in this case.

I wouldn't like that because then a lot of people would have nothing but pride to wrestle for at conference tournaments.  I like that anybody can redeem a poor regular season by catching fire at their conference tournament. I think you just accept that every once in a while you'll have a situation like this.  There were enough at-larges available to pick up all the guys who earned allocations and got upset, so whoever got left out because of the UVA guy stealing a spot wasn't somebody who had earned a bid anyway.  

I wouldn't like that because then a lot of people would have nothing but pride to wrestle for at conference tournaments. I like that anybody can redeem a poor regular season by catching fire at their conference tournament. I think you just accept that every once in a while you'll have a situation like this. There were enough at-larges available to pick up all the guys who earned allocations and got upset, so whoever got left out because of the UVA guy stealing a spot wasn't somebody who had earned a bid anyway.

Okay well maybe a win over an auto qualifier OR someone who earned a bid for the conference. That way you could still beat someone at the conference tournament who had previously earned a spot and qualify.

Okay well maybe a win over an auto qualifier OR someone who earned a bid for the conference. That way you could still beat someone at the conference tournament who had previously earned a spot and qualify.

I get where you're going but that could still lead to situations where a guy could get screwed over.  Say you're in a 7 bid bracket and you end up in the 7th place match, but the guy who earned that 7th spot was upset in the last match and instead you're facing the guy who beat him.  You win to take 7th but you never beat someone who earned a bid.  Do you not get to go to NCAAs? 

The same thing could exist in for 3rd or 5th place match, anything with an odd number of bids.  Even 1st place for a smaller conference if the #1 guy gets upset in the semifinals.  7th is just the example. 

Edited by ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

I wouldn't like that because then a lot of people would have nothing but pride to wrestle for at conference tournaments.  I like that anybody can redeem a poor regular season by catching fire at their conference tournament. I think you just accept that every once in a while you'll have a situation like this.  There were enough at-larges available to pick up all the guys who earned allocations and got upset, so whoever got left out because of the UVA guy stealing a spot wasn't somebody who had earned a bid anyway.

Well but in the b10 they basically had an extra mini tournament to qualify for the 9 - 10 etc spot where all who failed to place in top 8 participated. So you could go 0-2 & be out which means you finished at 13 or 14th place (which doesn't matter) but still be able to get 9th and thus might qualify if 9 or 10 AQs or be the guy who replaces someone who breaks a leg etc. At least 1 case of an 0-2 who then won the 9 spot. Is that what we want, some who go 0-2 in conf qualifier get into NCAAs over the guys who were able to win at least one of their first two matches after first weighin?

Well but in the b10 they basically had an extra mini tournament to qualify for the 9 - 10 etc spot where all who failed to place in top 8 participated. So you could go 0-2 & be out which means you finished at 13 or 14th place (which doesn't matter) but still be able to get 9th and thus might qualify if 9 or 10 AQs or be the guy who replaces someone who breaks a leg etc. At least 1 case of an 0-2 who then won the 9 spot. Is that what we want, some who go 0-2 in conf qualifier get into NCAAs over the guys who were able to win at least one of their first two matches after first weighin?

In your example they aren't going 0-2 though.  To get 9th they'd have to win 2 or 3 matches in the mini-tournament and finish 2-2 or 3-2. I'm not thrilled about it but if the conference is deep enough to have 9 bids then it is what it is. I think if a guy MFF without wrestling a full match then their spot should return to the at-large pool.  But if a guy legitimately gets hurt during the tournament then you just have to deal with it. 

Also consider the conference. Campbell won the ACC tournament in 2017 but took 9th in the B10 this year. This shows the disparity in difficulty levels of different tournaments.