Ching

Rank the Rankers

I like this idea, but you should not word what you are doing as a measure of which service is best.  Imagine this scenario:  Myles Martin beats Bo Nickal in the finals.  If a ranking service had Myles Martin ranked #1, it would get the most points.  However, we all know this would be a ridiculous ranking to give him at the moment.  

Instead, simply stick to saying you are looking at which ranking service is most predictive.  This does not necessarily it is a better ranking service.  

Maybe throw in SHP's dual impact rankings?  He has some mystery formula to determine those.  Also, a ranking based solely on win/loss percentage that ignores strength of schedule could be an interesting control to throw in there. 

Buzzzzzzzzzz Killllllllllllllll

I like this idea, but you should not word what you are doing as a measure of which service is best.  Imagine this scenario:  Myles Martin beats Bo Nickal in the finals.  If a ranking service had Myles Martin ranked #1, it would get the most points.  However, we all know this would be a ridiculous ranking to give him at the moment.  

Instead, simply stick to saying you are looking at which ranking service is most predictive.  This does not necessarily it is a better ranking service.  

Maybe throw in SHP's dual impact rankings?  He has some mystery formula to determine those.  Also, a ranking based solely on win/loss percentage that ignores strength of schedule could be an interesting control to throw in there. 

I don't necessarily agree with the assessment. If there was a ranking that picked Martin, I would argue their methodology is flawed and, they may capture an upset here or there, on the whole they will get punished.

As for the best or not, to use a reduction to absurdity, if any ranking service picked the top eight at each weight class correctly, they would absolutely be the best. Who could argue with that, regardless of how they got there? They would be the first ranking anyone would look at going forward. Any wrestler with a high ranking on that service would extol their virtues as the one "true" ranking service.

Obviously, no ranking service will have every (or any) weight class correct, but some will do a better job than others. I would argue that those services do a better job of defining a methodology and sticking with it instead of changing from week to week. They also do a better job of getting all the data for their rankings. The non-quantitative ranking have some element of human input. Those that spend more time researching histories, talking to coaches and wrestlers, and watching matches are inevitably going to be better at this.

I will add SHP's dual impact ranking.  I think these quantitative only rankings will probably not do as well as the hybrids out there. I would still like to see more. If I had the time and data, I would like to see if I could build a machine learning algorithm for match prediction that could also build rankings based on round-robin simulations. I have a feeling it would not work very well (compared to the hybrid rankings), but it would be fun to try.

On 3/7/2018 at 2:05 PM, Zebra said:

And that's fine but I just wanted to make my point about the ranchers all sucking in general while Wrestlestat is not a ranking. 

There's a bunch of guys on horseback coming after you! 

53 minutes ago, Cooch1 said:

There's a bunch of guys on horseback coming after you! 

Good catch on that 9-month old typo. That's what the internet is all about. Having fun and ribbing people anonymously via a digital medium. 

There has been a long running controversy over this movie and not the one related to casting John Wayne as the leader of the Mongol Horde. Something like 50% of the production crew and performers dies in the next 20 years from a variety of cancers. They filmed in and around A-Bomb test sites in southern Nevada. Now you have to keep in mind that generation smoked like chimneys so there are potentially other factors but the rates are much higher than most productions of that era.  

Just a bit of movie trivia for this Tuesday afternoon. 

2 minutes ago, Zebra said:

There has been a long running controversy over this movie and not the one related to casting John Wayne as the leader of the Mongol Horde. Something like 50% of the production crew and performers dies in the next 20 years from a variety of cancers. They filmed in and around A-Bomb test sites in southern Nevada. Now you have to keep in mind that generation smoked like chimneys so there are potentially other factors but the rates are much higher than most productions of that era.  

^^^ This is why I come to themat.com! You can truly learn something here!

On 12/18/2018 at 7:51 PM, Zebra said:

John Wayne smoked 6-7 packs a day. After one of his lungs was removed for cancer HE KEPT SMOKING anyway.  Plus, he was completely bald headed. I have to admit his rugs in the movies were pretty good, I never knew he was a chromedome until recently.