Ching

Rank the Rankers

10 hours ago, TobusRex said:

John Wayne smoked 6-7 packs a day. After one of his lungs was removed for cancer HE KEPT SMOKING anyway.  Plus, he was completely bald headed. I have to admit his rugs in the movies were pretty good, I never knew he was a chromedome until recently.

All true and Agnes Moorhead was a heavy smoker too but, the number of cast and crew which contracted some form of cancer over the next 20 years encroached 50%. 

21 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

which means it's a stupid metric

Why do you choose quality wins and head-to-head as ranking criteria over things like, high school mascot, fingernail length or general look of intelligence? I’m going to assume that you think those former qualities do a better job of determining which wrestler is better.

If I had a ranking service that used the later qualities and it put Perry in the top eight, how do you think my ranking would stack up against yours for the rest of the 330 wrestlers? Using my metric?

There are enough observations to score the general quality even with the outliers like Perry.

32 minutes ago, Zebra said:

All true and Agnes Moorhead was a heavy smoker too but, the number of cast and crew which contracted some form of cancer over the next 20 years encroached 50%. 

I was wondering why we took so long to get to the topic of John Wayne. I had never heard this bit about cancer deaths on his movie set. Interesting--if true. No idea if it's true.  Also never knew that John Wayne was a chain smoker. But did he live a long life -- and a good one. If he died at 75 instead of 85 due to smoking, is there anything really wrong with that?

Why do you choose quality wins and head-to-head as ranking criteria over things like, high school mascot, fingernail length or general look of intelligence? I’m going to assume that you think those former qualities do a better job of determining which wrestler is better. If I had a ranking service that used the later qualities and it put Perry in the top eight, how do you think my ranking would stack up against yours for the rest of the 330 wrestlers? Using my metric?

There are enough observations to score the general quality even with the outliers like Perry.

Ching could be the smartest man on the forums. This is exactly what my response would have been to Willie, but no way could I have put it so eloquently.

My advice to Willie...don’t debate Ching. He’ll make you seem like Wrestlerneverdiesacatfan with some of your oddball takes. Love ya Willie but Ching is a master

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol. fair enough fellas.

here are my thoughts on college rankings

1) they don't much matter b/c everyone's in the same pool at the end of the year

2) they deviate so little from each other that, again, who cares?

3) there are always Se'Derian Perrys and Mark Branches

but it IS a fun exercise and i'm glad to read it. 

1 hour ago, pish6969 said:

Ching could be the smartest man on the forums. This is exactly what my response would have been to Willie, but no way could I have put it so eloquently.

My advice to Willie...don’t debate Ching. He’ll make you seem like Wrestlerneverdiesacatfan with some of your oddball takes. Love ya Willie but Ching is a master

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LMAO, you must not read my posts very often. I am the best looking on this board (see my picture above) and I would whip Willie straight up in a wrestling match, but that bastard is dirty in a debate.

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

I was wondering why we took so long to get to the topic of John Wayne. I had never heard this bit about cancer deaths on his movie set. Interesting--if true. No idea if it's true.  Also never knew that John Wayne was a chain smoker. But did he live a long life -- and a good one. If he died at 75 instead of 85 due to smoking, is there anything really wrong with that?

My Mom was a huge John fan and I've always been a moviephile so I know lot of totally useless movie trivia. I sleep very little and watch 4-5 movies each week.

Hell I'm old and know a lot of useless things now. And before anybody becomes a smart aleck, one day you'll be old too.                   

Now for The Conquorer cancer debate, they were told to not film in that location as it was near the edge of the Nevada Nuclear Test Grounds and contamination was suspected. The production had something like 200 cast and crew and somewhere around 90-100 died of or contracted cancer in some form over the next 20 years. While there were several other factors, like some being heavy smokers, this rate was considered much higher than normal for a similar sample size in the movie industry in that same time period. There is no definitive proof but the debate still exists. 

John Wayne himself promoted and fought for the location citing the US Government's pubic statements there was no public health hazard from any fallout.  

13 hours ago, Zebra said:

Yeah, "The Conqueror" had a lethal movie set. Everybody in the industry was ignorant of the dangers of radiation exposure. Wayne would've died of cancer anyway, but like you said the rate for the entire set was pretty high.