Sign in to follow this  
pennsyrules

PIAA Starts March 8-10!

Found this little nugget about a Penn State 2 timer helping out an Ohio State recruit. Part of what makes this sport great.

Quote: Had a great conversation with Gavin Hoffman about going out to the 4M Club to work with Quentin Wright and Luke McGonigal ... Probably won't make the paper for a bit, but Gavin credited going there with helping to take his wrestling to another level

http://highschoolsports.pennlive.com/news/article/2226680852020659963/northern-returning-state-medalist-jake-koser-loses-piaa-opener-on-controversial-violation-call/

Tbar- were you there today to witness this?  I couldn't make it there until tomorrow and wondering if the place went crazy over this

No, I was not there. Work day. I have off today and I am going to try to head over for some action. 

Sasso - USA 1 -    PA States 2, (lost to Lee) 3, t ,? Full ride to Ohio State. Went up a weight at Beast to wrestle USA #1 at 52, lost 5-3 to USA # 1 David Carr. He is great fun to watch, good kid too.

Absolutely wrong call. The move was legal and would have become potentially dangerous. The top wrestler was not pulling the arm up off the opponent's back, which would constitute the illegal hammerlock. It's the same wrist on the back tilt that Nolf has gone to over the past few years. While it can turn potentially dangerous if the arm passes 90 degrees or comes off the back, it is far from an illegal move.

A very INCOMPETENT call. Koser was robbed, and Cathedral Prep should be ashamed of putting points for the team trophy ahead of integrity.

Absolutely wrong call. The move was legal and would have become potentially dangerous. The top wrestler was not pulling the arm up off the opponent's back, which would constitute the illegal hammerlock. It's the same wrist on the back tilt that Nolf has gone to over the past few years. While it can turn potentially dangerous if the arm passes 90 degrees or comes off the back, it is far from an illegal move.

A very INCOMPETENT call. Koser was robbed, and Cathedral Prep should be ashamed of putting points for the team trophy ahead of integrity.

I hate to tell you but the 90 degree point and the pulling of the arm off the back are both the exact definitions of illegality for that move. Someone sent in other pictures of the move (I didn't see them) which made it perfectly clear that the arm was off the back. The picture was not clear about the angle but the ref only had to be right about either one of the two.

Unless you were the referee or there's some pictures that prove beyond any doubt, we'll never know for sure. What bothers me is he couldn't continue in that match but then shows up to wrestle his next match. That is BS!

Which then makes the move potentially dangerous. This move is used by numerous wrestlers throughout the season, but we all know the rules change when you get to states. Fast stall calls, fleeing the mat, etc. None called the same as during the regular season.

Still a terrible call and glad to see Koser pin the kid in the 2nd period in the Consi semis.

They wrestled again in the consi semis with Koser pinning Crosby in the first period

And after the match was over, the prep kid shook hands with the other kid, the other coaches and then went to the stands where the York fans were and they shook hands with each other for a while.

Which then makes the move potentially dangerous. This move is used by numerous wrestlers throughout the season, but we all know the rules change when you get to states. Fast stall calls, fleeing the mat, etc. None called the same as during the regular season.

Still a terrible call and glad to see Koser pin the kid in the 2nd period in the Consi semis.

Illegal is illegal. Illegal isn’t potentially dangerous. Clear distinction. Once the arm comes off the back, or breaks the 90 degree mark, it becomes illegal. To call it anything other than that is poor officiating. In this case the ref made the right call. Your beef should be with the kid not continuing, not with the official who made the call in accordance with the rules.

Best wrestler in the tournament imo, Gavin Hoffman. Next best in no particular order imo were/are Hidlay, Sasso, Anderson Teasdale, and Hillegas.

Teasdale might be cutting too much. He is showing the classic signs of a tired wrestler.

Edited by TBar1977

http://highschoolsports.pennlive.com/news/article/2226680852020659963/northern-returning-state-medalist-jake-koser-loses-piaa-opener-on-controversial-violation-call/

Tbar- were you there today to witness this?  I couldn't make it there until tomorrow and wondering if the place went crazy over this

I was there - terrible call.  Then Koser pinned the kid in the first period in wrestlebacks.

Just a note...state champs came from 14 different schools in AAA, 13 different schools in AA!

That is pretty remarkable. Speaks to the parity of the state I guess. NJ had an awful lot of private schools in the finals with Bergen winning 3 titles alone.

Not sure there were more than 2 private schools with finalists- Delbarton and Don Bosco. The term you were probably looking for was non-public as the rest were Parochial Schools like Bergen Catholic. Doesn't really change your point.

PIAA lists 3 types of schhools

Public High School--, which includes (some?) Vo Techs, like York VT.

Charter Schools--(, mostly in Philadelphia but also Sugar Valley and Hyndman which formed because the big school district (Central Mountain and Bedford) tried to bus the kids a long way)

Private School--, seems to include Parochial, other religious, Country Day, and Boarding. There is some kind of a numeric code on the link, but I was not able to decipher 

My bad, to me if you pay it’s private. Like you said doesn’t change my point. Seems like the “privates” are more dominant than ever in NJ. I don’t think that’s a good thing for the long term. What are your thoughts gimp?

Best wrestler in the tournament imo, Gavin Hoffman. Next best in no particular order imo were/are Hidlay, Sasso, Anderson Teasdale, and Hillegas.

Teasdale might be cutting too much. He is showing the classic signs of a tired wrestler.

Agreed on Hoffman - he was unreal.  30 second pin, 30 second pin, TF, TF.  He was robbed of the OW - should have easily gotten it.