Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

2018 NCAA Bracket Busters

This is a bit of a leap, but undersized 197 Chris Weiler (#9 in WrestleStat rankings) is unseeded. He has been in close bouts this year with nearly everyone on is path:

#10 Scottie Boykin - close loss at Scuffle

#7 Frank Mattiace - hasn't met this season. teammate Jaksobsen had a MAJ v Mattiace

#2 Ben Darnstadt - nearly beat in EIWA SF

#3 Jared Haught - lost 2 close bouts

Great point. If Weiler puts it together, he has a shot at a relatively high AA. His match va Darmstadt was very impressive.

I had only seen him wrestle a few times (that can I recall) prior to that match, but he looked very good there and shut down parts of Darmstadt’s game.

149 - Kolodzik (#11) - He's seeded crazy low in a weight that isn't deep at all... I think he makes the semis knocking off Leeth, but he'll have to reverse his loss against Oliver first.  

157 - Micah Jordan (#7) - This bracket is an absolute mess... there's a path for Micah to make the finals but it probably requires Kemmerer to beat Nolf.  I don't see Micah beating Nolf, even on one leg. 

184 - Bryce Carr (#12) - I could see him making the semis.  Abounader has a history of under-performance at NCAA's, and his last match with Renda was a 2-1 loss.  

285 - Boykin (#14) - Wonder where he'd be seeded without the loss at ACC's.  He's got a realistic shot at making the semis, although I think Nevills probably handles him this time around.  

Sorensen has a tough 1st rd match; Prince can pile the points on, especially in a first time meeting. It's a match-up of wide-open vs controlled-hand-fighting-take-no-chances styles.

Honestly, has prince ever piled the points on someone like Sorenson though? I'm thinking Sorenson completely shuts him down.

I think Anthony Valencia has a shot vs McFadden. Doesn’t seem like a favorable style matchup for McFadden

Valencia will lose in the quarters but can wrestle back relatively far depending on upsets.

Not saying you are wrong but McFadden did major him in the dual.  I think it was by 12 points.

Not saying you are wrong but McFadden did major him in the dual.  I think it was by 12 points.

I know

Not picking it, just saying it is possible. AV shows flashes of brilliance. He also has a better shot against McFadden than any other title contender at 165, besides Marinelli, who he pinned last year. 

Not genius

Haha yeah I screwed that one up! I did have Ronnie Perry as a surprise AA though... I never would have guessed he made the finals though! Should picked him instead of Massa for surprise finalist... that would have surpassed genius into downright psychic lol 

I love Zain, but kind of want to see Perry go full UMBC on him tonight.

I wouldn't call an upset that big (would probably be biggest of all time?), but I do think it will be closer than most think. Perry has shown the ability to get out from bottom... obviously Zain's at another level on top, but if Perry can get out, he can keep it close with Zain on his feet

I wouldn't call an upset that big (would probably be biggest of all time?), but I do think it will be closer than most think. Perry has shown the ability to get out from bottom... obviously Zain's at another level on top, but if Perry can get out, he can keep it close with Zain on his feet

Yup, a Perry win would be the one of the biggest tournament upsets of all time (like UMBC over UVA yesterday) but that's a very good observation on how he could keep the match close.

That would be pretty cool for Rutherford to beat the all-time PSU pin record in his final match... the record may be short-lived though - Nolf is like 8 pins away from the record and I think Bo is up there too.