josephe

Rutgers recruiting - RU gets Benner and Quinner going to tOSU

Kind of sums up the pipeline at RU. No knock, they've made great strides last few years but tough to see they can't even land Jersey's best and forget getting studs from PA or others out state.

I've said it before, Rutgers will always have trouble landing good PA kids.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

In fairness to Rutgers, they've had significant injury issues.  No Ashnault....Gravina has been hurt....Suriano now appears to be dinged up....and Scott Goodale is the head coach.  Ok..cheap shot at Goodale but I see him as a good transition guy who has done his job--not the guy to lead Rutgers into title contention.

Rutgers generated a lot of excitement this year. Then they only beat MD, MSU and IU at Big 10s. What gives?

Suriano forfeited out to 6th. Gravina underperformed. Ashnault isn’t in the lineup.

If those 3 things didn’t occur, they would be in contention for 5th or so.

Doesn’t mean much, but that all played a role.

Already a State Champ last year, Benner took out the #4 ranked kid in the country to make the finals for the second straight year. Great signing by Rutgers

Benner's stand up is not great however he is a hammer on top, interesting to see how he will translate to the next level

I think Rutgers can get the PA guys as well as top NJ guys but they really need to get other the injury bug and put together an NCAA tournament with multiple AA's and a champ. You gotta have someone Sat night give the post win interview saying how good Rutgers is and how you can win titles there and not just the Suriano 'we don't need fancy X Y Z' stuff. That may or not be true but if I'm a top high school kid right now I wanna be a NCAA champ and if I can get some fancy hot tubs or whatever to go with it why not go to PSU, tOSU, etc.

I think Rutgers can get the PA guys as well as top NJ guys but they really need to get other the injury bug and put together an NCAA tournament with multiple AA's and a champ. You gotta have someone Sat night give the post win interview saying how good Rutgers is and how you can win titles there and not just the Suriano 'we don't need fancy X Y Z' stuff. That may or not be true but if I'm a top high school kid right now I wanna be a NCAA champ and if I can get some fancy hot tubs or whatever to go with it why not go to PSU, tOSU, etc.

You know that Rutgers has already broken ground on their new state of the art training center? It might be the top NCAA facility in America with training facilites, Nutrition, Medical treatment.

http://rutgersbigtenbuild.com/multisport-training-complex/index.html

I think Rutgers still has a lot of room for growth. As other posters have stated here, program building at the college (Division I) level is not overnight and their success this season will have a lot to do with whom they land for next season and some of the season after that. If nothing else, it is undeniable that the Scarlet Knights program is headed in the right direction.

With that, they have only to guys on their roster NOT from New Jersey. It's time to land some of those PA, Ohio, Illinois and Iowa kids who desperately want out of those areas, and can study and have internship/job and social opportunities, all within one hour from New York City... what a selling point. Good luck to Goodale & Co.

Was watching the final between the two simultaneously with the B10 finals and was just thinking Kinner would have been a really nice pick up Rutgers.  Brenner might fit the Rutgers mold a little better though he definitely looks like he wrestles with a chip on his shoulder.

Agree with the general sentiment that Rutgers needs to do a better job recruiting in state talent.  Janzer looks like he could develop into a good, hopefully great, college wrestler.  He has some nice re-attacks and his offense is similar to Pritzlaf with that nice snatch single.

They also have the 138 from Blair coming in Malcolm Robinson and hopefully Glasgow finds his way on campus next year.  I think what makes it difficult for Rutgers (And a lot of northeast schools) is there are so many out of state options in relatively close proximity and its tough for Rutgers to stick out.  Cornell, Princeton, Penn are ivy league schools, Lehigh and V-Tech have great engineering, PSU and OSU are traditional big campus schools with great football teams and history.  Then add in some of the southern schools like NC and NC state and there are lot of options not too far from home to choose from.

Packing the RAC in each match is great step in the right direction though.  I've been going to a lot of the home duals the past 4 years and high school and club teams come in large groups to watch and make a day of it.

A great future needs to be built now.  Great strides for RU thus far - yes.  But not enough in my opinion, soley based on the talent in this state that is going elsewhere. 

This is not say a NC state trying to rebirth their program whereas being in NC and not a haven for wrestling.  BTW, they brought in a coach, turned it around quickly and became a top ranked team.

If RU is only bringing in Janzer and Brenner it's not enough.  Not a slight to them personally, point is light on recruiting, no big name signings and never any mention of what's in the pipeline.  We gave away about 3 matches every dual before the match started.  Can't afford that and expect to compete be a team in the middle or top of the B10.

This is the key - RU needs 5 or so studs who have high probability of getting AA.