josephe

Rutgers recruiting - RU gets Benner and Quinner going to tOSU

Kind of sums up the pipeline at RU.  No knock, they've made great strides last few years but tough to see they can't even land Jersey's best and forget getting studs from PA or others out state.

If those Jersey kids keep this up the powers that control the State might have Guido, the $2 hit man visit their coaches to persuade them to change their minds.

The problem with Rutgers is out-of-state kids don't want to go there and neither do in-state kids if they have other options.

This is not just true of wrestling, but of basketball and football-- New Jersey has very good kids in both, great kids when it comes to hoops. 

But no one in NJ feels allegiance to Rutgers. They might start by changing the name to the University of New Jersey. That would help a bit.  What's a Rutgers?

Agree NJDan.

RU, due to poor leadership at both President and AD level have screwed up this 'want to be a big time sports school big time' the brainchild of Mulcahy the former AD and have gone about it all wrong.

I agree, change the name, not only for sports but to give NJ something to be proud of.  Saying "Rutgers" just always comes across as puzzling to those who don't know it.  Good school, but doesn't carry any name recognition.

Not sure what recos I'd have for building a B10 sports program as the list is too long.  Though 1 - is to get a President who has experience and interest in running a power conference school - 2 same for the AD, even though the current one is enthusiastic and hard worker  3- need to make the men's basketball program top tier and much easier to do than football.  Only need 2-3 stellar recruits.  Football forget about it.  Nearly impossible to get out of the cellar in the B10, ask IU, MN, IL.  Can't believe Ash took the job, wonder what advice Meyer gave him.

The problem with Rutgers is out-of-state kids don't want to go there and neither do in-state kids if they have other options.

This is not just true of wrestling, but of basketball and football-- New Jersey has very good kids in both, great kids when it comes to hoops.

But no one in NJ feels allegiance to Rutgers. They might start by changing the name to the University of New Jersey. That would help a bit. What's a Rutgers?

I understand the name change concept but that’s not the issue. History is important and the name RUTGERS is part of history. People know Stanford, Notre Dame, Duke, TCU, Butler, Cornell...

Win and people will know the name. With the new facilities, a supportive AD, and the growing fan base, Rutgers will be fine.

I understand the name change concept but that’s not the issue. History is important and the name RUTGERS is part of history. People know Stanford, Notre Dame, Duke, TCU, Butler, Cornell...

Ivies have built in recognition so Cornell isn’t a fair comparison. TCU has Texas in the name. The rest are all private schools, besides I bet a lot of people have no clue where Butler is located.. Are there any other state universities that don’t have a city or state in the name. I agree with those that say Rutgers needs a name change.

Edited by 1032004

Ivies have built in recognition so Cornell isn’t a fair comparison. TCU has Texas in the name. The rest are all private schools, besides I bet a lot of people have no clue where Butler is located.. Are there any other state universities that don’t have a city or state in the name. I agree with those that say Rutgers needs a name change.

It will never happen. The alumni won’t allow it. I get the name change thing but if Rutgers starts winning, this hypothetical conversation won’t happen. Anyway, I’ve traveled the world for business and I have yet to meet someone that doesn’t know Rutgers is located in New Jersey.

RU predates the State of New Jersey, every other state, and the USA itself.  There will be no name changes 

To have a decent football team and an improved basketball team is attainable but at what cost?  "The U" type thugs?  I'll pass, but to each their own view. 

Primarily, RU is here to educate.    

Why not Rutgers of New Jersey? Similar to Miami of Ohio? Even though Miami was before the Florida school they associate with the State so folks won't be confused.

Then again they could name it "Rutgers, we're not in Cleveland" and up their stock right away.

It will never happen. The alumni won’t allow it. I get the name change thing but if Rutgers starts winning, this hypothetical conversation won’t happen. Anyway, I’ve traveled the world for business and I have yet to meet someone that doesn’t know Rutgers is located in New Jersey.

Well that’s the whole argument, that Rutgers doesn’t really have enough recognition to enable them to get the top recruits that will help them win more.

But of course wrestling has nothing to do with their overall recognition anyway. Even when their football team was good for a year and a half or whatever they didnt get much recognition. I think the most press the athletic department has gotten was either when Rush Limbaugh made racist comments about the women’s b-ball team or the men’s b-ball coach throwing basketballs and slurs at players.

Why not Rutgers of New Jersey? Similar to Miami of Ohio? Even though Miami was before the Florida school they associate with the State so folks won't be confused.

Miami University is not officially called "Miami of Ohio". Only people from outside the state refer to it as such.

Well that’s the whole argument, that Rutgers doesn’t really have enough recognition to enable them to get the top recruits that will help them win more.

But of course wrestling has nothing to do with their overall recognition anyway. Even when their football team was good for a year and a half or whatever they didnt get much recognition. I think the most press the athletic department has gotten was either when Rush Limbaugh made racist comments about the women’s b-ball team or the men’s b-ball coach throwing basketballs and slurs at players.

Not Rush, Don Imus.