Sign in to follow this  
silver-medal

Which Greek God has it in for Nate Tomasello?

Is it Aries?  Hades?  Or Zeus himself?  

How else to explain that if all goes to form he will see the toughest wrestler in the Iowa lineup in the semis for the third consecutive year? 

I really think Lee and Nate are the top two at this weight.  I understand the bracketing.  But either Suriano or Cruz was done a big favor.  If Suriano is hurt, Cruz will "cruise."  And if he's ok, he has an easier path to finals than either Nate or Lee.  I'd personally like to have seen Suriano with the 3rd seed and Lee with #4. 

Big team race implications involved in the way this weight was bracketed.  If I were rooting for PSU, I'd be happy.  

Edited by silver-medal

What possible seeding was there? Cruz had to be #1. After that the next three are NaTo, Lee and Suriano, so he is either wrestling Lee or Suriano, of he drops to #4 and gets Cruz. Can you justify him being seeded 4th? Would Suriano be any easier than Lee? 

125 is a bonkers weight class this year.  R32 matches will in many cases be of quarterfinal or semifinal quality.  Potential second round matchups:

Cruz vs. Schwarm

Rios/Bresser vs. Lizak

Fausz vs. Hayes

Moisey vs. Suriano

Lee vs. Welch

Russell vs. Picc

Lamont vs. Rivera

Milhof vs. Tomasello 

This seeding may be good for Nato. He's wrestled Lee twice and beat him last week. With Lee, he at least knows what he's up against. Cruz and Suriano are unknowns and could surprise or turn into bad style match-ups.

But if the Cruz from last year's NCAA tournament shows up, nobody's beating him.

What possible seeding was there? Cruz had to be #1. After that the next three are NaTo, Lee and Suriano, so he is either wrestling Lee or Suriano, of he drops to #4 and gets Cruz. Can you justify him being seeded 4th? Would Suriano be any easier than Lee?

I don’t think his point was any other path would be easier...it was history repeating itself now 3 years in a row with a top Iowa guy in the semis which could tarnish Nato’s Legacy as only being known or remembered as the guy who couldn’t get past Iowa in the semis.

NATO could have easily been the #1.  He has FAR better wins.  Cruz has wins over #11, #12, #18.  NATO has one loss, which he avenged, while having wins over #4, #5, 2x#8, 2x#15, #16, #18.  

NATO could have easily been the #1.  He has FAR better wins.  Cruz has wins over #11, #12, #18.  NATO has one loss, which he avenged, while having wins over #4, #5, 2x#8, 2x#15, #16, #18.  

Cruz is an unbeaten returning champ. Can't rationalize him being seeded below a 1 loss guy. But still, if you make NaTo the 1, then Cruz is 2 and Suriano could be 3 and you have the same semi matchups. 

Yes I think Suriano is slightly easier than Lee because of top wrestling.  Nate can't choose bottom against Lee.  He can against Suriano.  Or so I think.

Think of it in the reverse:  NATO has the perfect script to ensure his legacy--takes out a nemesis from a school that has his number on the way to the title.  Avoids all the inevitable troll baiters saying, "Yeah, but if he had been on the same side as ----- he would have never made the finals."  In finals, he seals the deal by defeating the reigning champ or the most hyped wrestler in the weight over the past two years.

Edited by Coach_J

last year the Lehigh folks were up in arms over Cruz getting stuck on Gilman's side. And he won. Now this year he has the 'easy path' with a possibly banged up Suriano as the 4. let's see how this plays out.  

tOSU fan: Nato beats the Hawkeye semi curse on way to another title. 1-3-3-1 ain't a bad career at all and his 2nd individual title helps them to 2nd team title during his 4 years.

PSU fan: Spencer Lee, that great Pennsylvanian, takes out Nato in semis. Crushed by yet another loss to Iowa in semis, Nato falls to a 6th place finish, helping doom tOSU's title hopes.

I have Lee winning it all so I agree with silver-medal. 

I still can't justify Lee seeded over Suriano given the criteria from last year. Maybe they changed it for this year. Undefeated consensus #2 guy prior to injury with 6th place at B1G should not be seeded lower than twice-defeated with 3rd place at B1G. It's a bad draw for both Nato and Lee. I too think they're the two best wrestlers at the weight, even though I'm somewhat rooting for Cruz to win again.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

This seeding may be good for Nato. He's wrestled Lee twice and beat him last week. With Lee, he at least knows what he's up against. Cruz and Suriano are unknowns and could surprise or turn into bad style match-ups.

But if the Cruz from last year's NCAA tournament shows up, nobody's beating him.

Totally agree with this.  In this weight there's the top 4, then everyone else.  Cruz is an unbeaten defending national champ, and Suriano is another unbeaten who last year beat Cruz and lost only to the eventual world silver medalist.  And you want NaTo against one of those two?  Lee is a hammer but at least NaTo has the most recent win vs. Lee. 

At lower weights, Squakeye, the Iowa God of big bird poop and knee braces tends to prevail over Bucknut, the Ohio God of poisonous vaccinations and nuts. Lee wins when Nato concusses on a roll of nickels that Gilman routinely hides in Iowa wraps.

The Pennsylvanian God of tiny a$$weights, Antro-Bituminous, god of microscopic particulates and stunted athletic people, is rumored to be commuting from Bethlehem to Jersey daily but hoping to find a local gig again in March because Jersey chemical pollutants and insecticides give him flu-like symptoms. He probably does not find success in the Christmas city this year though ..... and has not bothered to visit Happy Valley all season.

Edited by swoopdown

Will Lizak make it to Cruz and choose top this year?  

vinny.jpg?1461610691

Vinny:  I object Your Honor.  Counsellor Headshuck is positing a compound question in an obvious attempt to confuse the witness.

De Judge:  Sustained.  The witness is entitled to answer each question separately.  Please rephrase, Mr. Headshuck.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling