CoachWrestling

Final Picks: National Champs.. tOSU or PSU?

I think this rides on Nick Lee as much as anyone. He has a tough road to the podium. But PSU has a way to rise to the occasion. I think 5th Place would be a hell of a tournament for him with his draw,but he's capable and could be the difference. He could score less than five team points just as well. This is not to say the pressure is on him to perform to a certain level for PSU to win. But I think when you break it down, that's the real 'X' factor for the Lions.

(I say all this with this gut feeling that Nolf is fine enough to win and and do what Nolf does).

I’m picking tOSU

I’m top form PSU wins I think, but;

Nolf is injured. He needs to score 25ish points for PSU and while he is still the favorite to win, I’m not nearly as confident in him doing so and bonusing

Nick Lee underperformed at Big10s so he has a terrible seed. He may not even AA, although I do think he is top 8 overall. Draws matter

Cenzo is amazing, but in an impossible weight class. He could lose to Massa, Marinelli, iMar and maybe McFadden. He could win it all, but there are 3-4 guys who can beat him on the right day. He has to wrestle the perfect tournament to win, and he has been making mistakes recently. PSU needs those points.

Rasheed has been wrestling poorly. He actually has a pretty good draw, but I don’t think he will place above 5th. This is the pick I’m least confident in though. He could make it farther.

Nevills is wrestling well, but faces a guy who beat him in the second round. His ceiling is his seed. He can’t beat Coon or Snyder. He wrestles to seed at best and PSU has to wrestle above seed to win unless tOSU falls apart.

I think PSU ends up with 5 top 3 guys but 3 champs (149, 157, 184) which just isn’t enough to beat tOSU.

TOSU will match PSU champions, but beat them everywhere else. TOSU looks like they will have 9 AAs. While one or two may not, their margin for error is much larger. They also have too 3 locks in Moore, Snyder, NATO and Martin, plus possibly McKenna, Pletcher, Bo and Micah. 165 is probably not an AA and me-shawn I think places 5th

Don't just look at the wrestlers, look at the coaches.  Carl has shown the ability to consistently have his guys primed for the post-season better than Ryan.  6 titles to 1 over the last 7 years.  I'd like to see tOSU win, but I'll pick PSU.

I’m picking tOSU

I’m top form PSU wins I think, but;

Nolf is injured. He needs to score 25ish points for PSU and while he is still the favorite to win, I’m not nearly as confident in him doing so and bonusing

Nick Lee underperformed at Big10s so he has a terrible seed. He may not even AA, although I do think he is top 8 overall. Draws matter

Cenzo is amazing, but in an impossible weight class. He could lose to Massa, Marinelli, iMar and maybe McFadden. He could win it all, but there are 3-4 guys who can beat him on the right day. He has to wrestle the perfect tournament to win, and he has been making mistakes recently. PSU needs those points.

Rasheed has been wrestling poorly. He actually has a pretty good draw, but I don’t think he will place above 5th. This is the pick I’m least confident in though. He could make it farther.

Nevills is wrestling well, but faces a guy who beat him in the second round. His ceiling is his seed. He can’t beat Coon or Snyder. He wrestles to seed at best and PSU has to wrestle above seed to win unless tOSU falls apart.

I think PSU ends up with 5 top 3 guys but 3 champs (149, 157, 184) which just isn’t enough to beat tOSU.

TOSU will match PSU champions, but beat them everywhere else. TOSU looks like they will have 9 AAs. While one or two may not, their margin for error is much larger. They also have too 3 locks in Moore, Snyder, NATO and Martin, plus possibly McKenna, Pletcher, Bo and Micah. 165 is probably not an AA and me-shawn I think places 5th

I think Nick Lee is a better wrestler than Te Shan Campbell, but looking at their draws with Te Shan getting the only guy in the top 8 he has a prayer of beating I think ity possible Campbell could score as many pts at Lee and that blows everything up in Ohio State's favor. 

I think McKenna got a great path too with landing on Kevin Jack and avoiding hometown Dean Heil. Heil, ironically, after gettimng knocked out by Yianni, could end Lee's run on the backside. 

I think Micah even got a nice draw landing on Levallee instead of a healthy Nolf or Kem Dawg. Nick Nevills should win rd 2, but his quarter with Dhesi looks tough. 

Penn State is going to have win almost every single match they are favored in and pick up a truck load of bonus. 

could be as simple as who gets the most points from their free agent pick ups. Kinda like McKenna and Martin to score more than Keener and Kuhn.

McKenna and Campbell.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PSU

Individual champs:

125: Lee but I can see Cruz all day.

133: Gross

141: Meredith too consistent

149: Retherford

157: Nolf. If Kemdog was healthy

165: Imar

174: Valencia

184: Nickal

197: Moore but gut says no

285: Snyder

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Edited by paboom

Isn’t this the same thread every year? PSU wins and afterwords everyone that doesn’t pick them scratches their heads thinking what am I crazy picking against PSU when it matters.

Then the next month everyone will start telling us what new team will take out PSU next year.

Rinse and repeat

Until PSU proves they don’t win the Big one why would anyone pick against them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by pish6969

As much as it pains me to say, I’m taking PSU. Hard to pick against them given their recent track record.

That said, this years tOSU team is truly a special one and I’m looking forward to seeing how many ncaa’s this team would win if not for an equally special PSU team.

Great time to be a collegiate wrestling fan.

Isn’t this the same thread every year? PSU wins and afterwords everyone that doesn’t pick them scratches their heads thinking what am I crazy picking against PSU when it matters.

Then the next month everyone will start telling us what new team will take out PSU next year.

Rinse and repeat

I have nothing to add to this......

Rinse and repeat

?

Everyone said PSU would set the scoring record right after NCAAs. Don’t pretend like PSU is the victIm