WillieBoy

Snyder vs Coon final?

Odds are that we will see a Snyder vs Coons final match.

What do they change for this one?

Coon has to show a lot more aggression and actually go for takedowns if he expects to score. If he ties up I think he needs more of the  weight on Snyder as he did when he won their match in the dual. He tied up Snyder better and used both his height and weight to his advantage in that match. Heavy hands, heavy body and a lot more foot movement to keep the weight on while pushing forward and using his wingspan to keep Snyder from going outside his defensive envelope. Contain Snyder and keep him in front so he can't slide by or go around trying for a takedown. Use his weight and drive Snyder across the mat when Coon is on top, tie up ankles as he pushes and look for a Cradle. Keep Snyder flat as much as possible while using both weight and leverage to break him down every time Snyder tries to get to his base or stand up. Lift and return to the mat when Snyder does stand. Coon has the strength advantage - so use it and treat Snyder like a rag doll whenever possible. Make the strength work for him.

Snyder can't go strength on strength. He has to use his speed and technique to shoot for a blast double and then step around or move outside and try leverage to upset Coon's balance and use his weight and length against him. Move around and get Coon stepping rather than circling. Use the stepping with timing to push Coon off balance on one leg and topple him like a tree. Tie a wrist and head snap as much as possible to get Coon off his game while side to side setting up a duck under or slide by while staying out from under the tree trunk body. If he does go for a blast double it has to be with an Ankle off balance and Snyder's body weight driving in and UP - not just forward. Coon can take a step back but denying an ankle/foot purchase while driving up will put him off balance and may well end with Coon going straight to his back.

Snyder might try the simple Fireman's Carry when coon moves forward into him and turn that aggression into a takedown. If he can do that it will take Coon out of his game and turn strength into motion to be used against the stronger man.

I hope it is a good match with aggressive moves on both sides. If the Referees let Coon go a whole match without one takedown attempt - and don't call stalling - they will fail in their duties.

On the mat the refs need to keep reminding both wrestlers to go for pinning moves and not be content to let them ride it out or hold on. Those are stalling moves and should be called.

Good technique will beat size and strength. Will Kyle use it and win the match without overtime?

The funniest comment was that Snyder should try a fireman's on Coon.  Might work as well as his lat drop on Nevills.  

Snyder gave an interview after Big Ten's on Track.  He made it clear he doesn't enjoy wrestling heavy and will be glad when he's through doing it.  

Coon has a simple path to victory imo.  

1st Period - Scoreless

2nd Period - Coon chooses bottom and escapes

3rd Period - Snyder chooses bottom and probably gets out within a minute

OT - No score

Each choose bottom and escape but Coon gets out sooner

No score

Coon gets out sooner again and wins a national title on riding time

Coon needs to keep the pressure on him throughout and make sure to really punish Snyder when he does shoot.  If Snyder gets in too deep and allows Coon to flatten him he'll give up a takedown and there won't be a need for OT.

Like the B-10's, Snyder gets one TD somewhere to win a boring heavyweight match. Don't think Coon has any offense to score on Snyder outside of landing on him when Snyder shoots. If Snyder can't find that one TD whoever has the RT advantage wins the ride out. FWIW, when I saw the dual match dang, Coon is huge. He'll be 290 at the whistle. Snyder weighs what he weighs. 

No specific technique advice from me, Snyder has lots of good people to do that. He is pretty smart too. But as far as match management and tactics he will will probably do this because, like in the B-10's, it is the best way to win against a very large opponent who is really good at using the leverage of being large against a smaller guy. So a normal, boring, heavyweight match, and find a TD somewhere, because you are Kyle Snyder, seems to be the smart way to go.

Maybe Snyder should study video of Lou Banach handling much larger opponents. On his way to 2 NCAA titles and a third place finish, Banach, weighing 215, pinned Bruce Baumgartner (around 255 at the time), pinned Tab Thacker (410 pounds), pinned Steve Williams (265) and won by decision over Mitch Shelton (400 pounds). Baumgartner and Thacker both were good enough to win NCAA titles, while Williams was a 4-time All-American and Shelton was an All-American too. To see see the amazing match between Lou and Bruce in the 1981 NCAA finals, look it up on You Tube.

Like the B-10's, Snyder gets one TD somewhere to win a boring heavyweight match. Don't think Coon has any offense to score on Snyder outside of landing on him when Snyder shoots. If Snyder can't find that one TD whoever has the RT advantage wins the ride out. FWIW, when I saw the dual match dang, Coon is huge. He'll be 290 at the whistle. Snyder weighs what he weighs. 

Coon beat Snyder in the dual meet with his offense.  Coon's offensive score came off his leg attack which Snyder fought off and Coon immediately transitioned to a body lock and drove through to a TD.  He was very close to back points.

Coon needs to be aggressive on his feet and ride as long as possible.  

I do think people are overlooking A Dhesi.  I think he is the one with the best shot at derailing this rematch.  I expect Dhesi to make the semis and although I favor Coon in that match an upset would not be a huge surprise to me.  Dhesi has been wrestling very well lately and I think his leg attacks may be good enough to pull the upset with AC.

Coon beat Snyder in the dual meet with his offense.  Coon's offensive score came off his leg attack which Snyder fought off and Coon immediately transitioned to a body lock and drove through to a TD.  He was very close to back points.

Coon needs to be aggressive on his feet and ride as long as possible.  

I do think people are overlooking A Dhesi.  I think he is the one with the best shot at derailing this rematch.  I expect Dhesi to make the semis and although I favor Coon in that match an upset would not be a huge surprise to me.  Dhesi has been wrestling very well lately and I think his leg attacks may be good enough to pull the upset with AC.

Counter offense only works in this match if Snyder takes full out committed shots that Coon can put full weight on him. Snyder is pretty good at game planning and isn't going to do that again. Well not until late or OT. I do agree Coon needs to stay aggressive/heavy and ride. The heavy keeps Snyder from going all in and keeps him off balance, the ride gives Coon criteria in OT. Dhesi uses greco set ups. Coon is better at hand fighting. That is going to be a hard hill for Dhesi. Dhesi bigger immediate problem is Nevills. Low shots and the ability to ride is what Nevills does and an issue with Dhesi. I  will qualify this with..... opinions only, and matches tend to be won on mats! 

Edited by sgallan

Glad I'm not the coach. Just exploring what I think would be the path to a win for each.

Yep, an arm drag by Snyder might work but only if Coon is extended and somewhat aggressive. If not it would most likely  be a successful as trying to Whizzer him to the mat.

As for a firemans carry - check how successful some of the Russians are with this "Jr. High" move. Snyder has the speed and balance to pull it off and it would sure surprise Coon.