http://intermatwrest.../jobs/view/1147

#2 superbowlhomeboy

superbowlhomeboy

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:05 AM

Yes.

They'll have to compete at National Preps though. 

#3 GuillermoBilletas

GuillermoBilletas

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:09 AM

appreciate their honesty

#4 HokieHWT

HokieHWT

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:10 AM

Yes.

They'll have to compete at National Preps though. 

Appreciate it. Didn't know you could openly recruit with National Preps.

#5 HokieHWT

HokieHWT

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:10 AM

appreciate their honesty

Same.

#6 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:09 AM

Not sure what's up here. There was an orphanage essentially at this location that closed. Did they recruit? I guess but these were otherwise homeless/family less urban kids brought it to a rural location. Not sure if someone reopened the place.

#7 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,544 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:51 PM

That school started after the Civil War. They have had sports teams for as long as I can remember. 

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#8 RichB

RichB

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:02 PM

It was the Scotland School for Veteran's Orphans, I suppose the official name was slightly differrent. It was state owned. College football's greatest coach, John Whitehead was an alumnus.

They started Wrestling 1966-67 when they joined the Blue Mountain League, which required wrestling. Shortly(2 years?) after many of the BML members, including Scotland, joined the Mid-Penn Conference  in 1982-83, they dropped their program. In the late 1990's the state drastically reduced funding, ending most sports programs (there had been an era where they thought they would win the small school, football, Basketball, and track state titles with the same core of kids), and it was totally closed a couple years later.

For a few years as the school was closing there was discussion of the Milton Hershey School (also an orphanage, but with ~unlimited funds) considering taking over the property, to form a second campus (60 road miles from Hershey) MHS instead decided to expand their original campus.

It had the first HS indoor pool I ever saw. We got to use the pool when I pointed out that our cheerleader captain was a chief life guard.

The School was always PIAA, at least from the time they joined the BML, possibly the only affiliated not normal school (maybe a couple of vo-techs), even MHS could not join until the catholic schools did, in 1972-73.

BML should not be confused with BLM.

The movie Scotland, Pa, was not filmed there, supposedly took place there, was supposedly based on MacBeth, and was a total mess.

Edited by RichB, 08 March 2018 - 03:10 PM.

#9 stonerd7

stonerd7

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:47 PM

It was the Scotland School for Veteran's Orphans, I suppose the official name was slightly differrent. It was state owned. College football's greatest coach, John Whitehead was an alumnus.

They started Wrestling 1966-67 when they joined the Blue Mountain League, which required wrestling. Shortly(2 years?) after many of the BML members, including Scotland, joined the Mid-Penn Conference  in 1982-83, they dropped their program. In the late 1990's the state drastically reduced funding, ending most sports programs (there had been an era where they thought they would win the small school, football, Basketball, and track state titles with the same core of kids), and it was totally closed a couple years later.

For a few years as the school was closing there was discussion of the Milton Hershey School (also an orphanage, but with ~unlimited funds) considering taking over the property, to form a second campus (60 road miles from Hershey) MHS instead decided to expand their original campus.

It had the first HS indoor pool I ever saw. We got to use the pool when I pointed out that our cheerleader captain was a chief life guard.

The School was always PIAA, at least from the time they joined the BML, possibly the only affiliated not normal school (maybe a couple of vo-techs), even MHS could not join until the catholic schools did, in 1972-73.

BML should not be confused with BLM.

The movie Scotland, Pa, was not filmed there, supposedly took place there, was supposedly based on MacBeth, and was a total mess.

RichB....always knew you were a PA guy, but do you live down here?  I grew up half mile down the road from SSVC, and still go to their track to run miles.  You know almost everything about the place.

#10 RichB

RichB

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:20 PM

Actually I live North of Harrisburg, wrestled there(SSVC) once, which i remember vividly, went to maybe 2-3 football games there. Probably drove thru the campus a couple times since it closed, out of curiosity 

#11 Jasonmitchell32

Jasonmitchell32

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 01:24 PM

I thought the Scotland school closed a few years ago?

#12 stonerd7

stonerd7

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:48 AM

https://www.publicop...-life/97452586/

Couple business are now open there.  Global Vision Christian School is the biggest thing on campus.  Lot of kids from Korea everywhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users