Sign in to follow this  
HokieHWT

Is this legal?

Not sure what's up here. There was an orphanage essentially at this location that closed. Did they recruit? I guess but these were otherwise homeless/family less urban kids brought it to a rural location. Not sure if someone reopened the place.

It was the Scotland School for Veteran's Orphans, I suppose the official name was slightly differrent. It was state owned. College football's greatest coach, John Whitehead was an alumnus.

They started Wrestling 1966-67 when they joined the Blue Mountain League, which required wrestling. Shortly(2 years?) after many of the BML members, including Scotland, joined the Mid-Penn Conference  in 1982-83, they dropped their program. In the late 1990's the state drastically reduced funding, ending most sports programs (there had been an era where they thought they would win the small school, football, Basketball, and track state titles with the same core of kids), and it was totally closed a couple years later.

For a few years as the school was closing there was discussion of the Milton Hershey School (also an orphanage, but with ~unlimited funds) considering taking over the property, to form a second campus (60 road miles from Hershey) MHS instead decided to expand their original campus.

It had the first HS indoor pool I ever saw. We got to use the pool when I pointed out that our cheerleader captain was a chief life guard.

The School was always PIAA, at least from the time they joined the BML, possibly the only affiliated not normal school (maybe a couple of vo-techs), even MHS could not join until the catholic schools did, in 1972-73.

BML should not be confused with BLM.

The movie Scotland, Pa, was not filmed there, supposedly took place there, was supposedly based on MacBeth, and was a total mess.

Edited by RichB

It was the Scotland School for Veteran's Orphans, I suppose the official name was slightly differrent. It was state owned. College football's greatest coach, John Whitehead was an alumnus.

They started Wrestling 1966-67 when they joined the Blue Mountain League, which required wrestling. Shortly(2 years?) after many of the BML members, including Scotland, joined the Mid-Penn Conference  in 1982-83, they dropped their program. In the late 1990's the state drastically reduced funding, ending most sports programs (there had been an era where they thought they would win the small school, football, Basketball, and track state titles with the same core of kids), and it was totally closed a couple years later.

For a few years as the school was closing there was discussion of the Milton Hershey School (also an orphanage, but with ~unlimited funds) considering taking over the property, to form a second campus (60 road miles from Hershey) MHS instead decided to expand their original campus.

It had the first HS indoor pool I ever saw. We got to use the pool when I pointed out that our cheerleader captain was a chief life guard.

The School was always PIAA, at least from the time they joined the BML, possibly the only affiliated not normal school (maybe a couple of vo-techs), even MHS could not join until the catholic schools did, in 1972-73.

BML should not be confused with BLM.

The movie Scotland, Pa, was not filmed there, supposedly took place there, was supposedly based on MacBeth, and was a total mess.

RichB....always knew you were a PA guy, but do you live down here?  I grew up half mile down the road from SSVC, and still go to their track to run miles.  You know almost everything about the place.

Actually I live North of Harrisburg, wrestled there(SSVC) once, which i remember vividly, went to maybe 2-3 football games there. Probably drove thru the campus a couple times since it closed, out of curiosity