Sign in to follow this  
Guest Long_Arms

Brands coaching

We have set up a sport where the only thing of any consequence is March (and many of you support it staying that way), and you're criticizing BRands job before that actually happens?

Then you need to expand your horizons, cause there are a lot of Duels that happen across the country that are important, and closely followed by the respective fans. The NCAA's may be the Climax, yet the BG10's and other's are good as well.

And if we are counting things that happen in the regular season, (which most of us do)Brands won the Big 10 DUal title while beating both Minnesota and Penn State. They had a crappy National Duals. It's not the only thing that happened, and (sadly, IMO) it doesn't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things.

It must get exhausting defending Iowa each and every day.

On the topic of Zalesky, I know it is the " what if " game, but if Mangrum and Hanke had achieved their seeds, Oregon State would have been right at the Iowa level. Having said that, I know those who know Zalesky well, and he would never come back to coach at the University of Iowa. Not saying the last poster said limmy would, just that Jimmy would not.

Forget about his coaching for just a bit, and look where he lives. He has stated his fondness of the PNW on many occasions. He loves it out here!!

Also 2nd year in a row: Pac 12 coach of the year.

http://www.osubeavers.com/sports/m-wres ... 13aaa.html

How Many team points did Iowa lose this year because of brands? All this bashing of the brands is just silly. The same posters come on here time after time to bash Iowa. It's called jealousy and their lives are just sad as well. Brands does just fine for himself. Losers like people on here obviously don't.

We have set up a sport where the only thing of any consequence is March (and many of you support it staying that way), and you're criticizing BRands job before that actually happens?

Then you need to expand your horizons, cause there are a lot of Duels that happen across the country that are important, and closely followed by the respective fans. The NCAA's may be the Climax, yet the BG10's and other's are good as well.

And if we are counting things that happen in the regular season, (which most of us do)Brands won the Big 10 DUal title while beating both Minnesota and Penn State. They had a crappy National Duals. It's not the only thing that happened, and (sadly, IMO) it doesn't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things.

It must get exhausting defending Iowa each and every day.

Yeah, it's me creating these threads. It must get exhausting finding new and creative ways to criticize the BRands.

I will say this, they have both calmed down a bit IMO. I didn't see them running towards the center on any of the three days.

I also like the way Tom interviews. Honest and funny at times.

Hey dback: I am not jealous. I have had a great life with my career, wife, kids and grandkids. I am not a loser, either. Interesting that when simple facts, and opinions based on those facts are stated, many Hawk fans become name-callers. I do not hate Iowa but they are clearly in decline. Still one of the top 4-5 programs but not even close to the elite for now, and the future does not look bright, in my OPINION.

Well, March is done with and it appears that Iowa has continued to lose ground to Penn State, Oklahoma State and Minnesota. A 4th place finish at about 30, 46 and 50 points behind PSU, OSU and Minnesota. Brands is a very good coach but seems not to able to keep up for now. Some of his younger recruits will need to improve, especially with the departure of their 125, 157 and 184 pounders the next year. I think one of their (star) recruits, Berge, was beaten in the Minnesota state finals by a sophomore. Time will tell what happens to the Hawkeyes. I think Cael will keep PSU #1 or #2 for a long time.

Making a "semi" prediction of a young mans future success based on one high school match- :lol:

On the topic of Zalesky, I know it is the " what if " game, but if Mangrum and Hanke had achieved their seeds, Oregon State would have been right at the Iowa level. Having said that, I know those who know Zalesky well, and he would never come back to coach at the University of Iowa. Not saying the last poster said limmy would, just that Jimmy would not.
Zalesky will probably have that opportunity right after they find Bigfoot and the Lochness Monster rooming together under a Denny's somewhere in Canada.

As for Oregon State's "issues" with Mangrum and Hanke not wrestling to seed, "what if" McD is 100% for his Senior year, "what if" Telford isn't bounced from the tournament because of injury (while still on the winners bracket side BTW), "what if" Ballweg doesn't get injured at Big Tens, what if Evans isn't injured during the tourney? Damn near half of Iowa's team was injured prior to or during the NCAA's, and they still somehow "managed" to get 4th with their worthless Coach....................

We're keeping the Brands boys and will be damn happy to do so. Demise and all.

Hey hawkfever: yet more smart aleck comments about bigfoot and lochness. Nice. I acknowledged I was playing the what if game. You called your coach Brands worthless, not me. I stated I think he is one of the top 4 or 5. The Hawks still are not, and have not been a factor in the NCAA's the last 2 years. The future looks very bleak by past Iowa standards. All strickly my opinions but I have CERTAINLY BEEN RIGHT THE LAST 3 YEARS!!!!!!!!! Time will tell!!!!!!!! No name calling from me. Look at how many points the last 2 recruiting classes have scored for Iowa. The incoming class is not highly rated, and I doubt will score very many NCAA points. We shall see.

Hey hawkfever: yet more smart aleck comments about bigfoot and lochness. Nice. I acknowledged I was playing the what if game. You called your coach Brands worthless, not me. I stated I think he is one of the top 4 or 5. The Hawks still are not, and have not been a factor in the NCAA's the last 2 years. The future looks very bleak by past Iowa standards. All strickly my opinions but I have CERTAINLY BEEN RIGHT THE LAST 3 YEARS!!!!!!!!! Time will tell!!!!!!!! No name calling from me. Look at how many points the last 2 recruiting classes have scored for Iowa. The incoming class is not highly rated, and I doubt will score very many NCAA points. We shall see.
You silly Hawk haters and your "what if" scenario's are certainly entertaining. Iowa isn't going anywhere, they'll be in the hunt long after you're dead and gone, much to your chagrin I'm sure.

I'm happy for you that you're so amused about your "bold predictions" of THE LAST 3 YEARS! How'd you do the 35 or so previous years? Not so hot I'm guessing.

I think we need to get back on track here. This thread was about how this season was Brand's best coaching job. Now I thought it was a silly statement and most likely damage control, considering it was started right after national duals, but I was willing to keep my final opinion open until after BigTens and Nationals. Well here we are and my opinion certainly seems validated. It is interesting that people like long_arms, sumo and cornercoach are either no where to be found or avoiding the subject.

hawkfever, as an Iowa fan, do you think this season was Brands best coaching job?

You silly Hawk haters and your "what if" scenario's are certainly entertaining. Iowa isn't going anywhere, they'll be in the hunt long after you're dead and gone, much to your chagrin I'm sure. . . . How'd you do the 35 or so previous years? Not so hot I'm guessing.
Your reference to the past 35 years of Iowa wrestling dominance and your prediction of their future being "in the hunt" are precisely what this thread is about. Gable nation doesn't want to be merely "in the hunt". They want to win like they did during the Gable years, some of the Zalesky years, and win like they did in Brands' first three seasons as Iowa head coach. This "in the hunt" business isn't going to cut it for Iowa fans who see placing second as failure (ie: McDonough at B1G this season).

You silly Hawk haters and your "what if" scenario's are certainly entertaining. Iowa isn't going anywhere, they'll be in the hunt long after you're dead and gone, much to your chagrin I'm sure.

I'm not too sure of that, hawkfever. What evidence do you have that suggests that the dead feel chagrin, or any other emotion for that matter?

Again, nice, hawkfever. I am not silly and do not hate the Hawks. I never said Iowa was going anywhere. I said Brands was among the top 4-5 coaches. Losing the Nationals 3 years in a row by ever increasing margins is not the standard at Iowa. My track record for a few decades has been excellent. Some Hawk fans cannot tolerate to not only losing but losing big. The name calling is what turned me and MANY FORMER hawk fans into those of us who are sickened and amused at the immature reactions. Go ahead and disagree with facts but do you really need to call names?

I think we need to get back on track here. This thread was about how this season was Brand's best coaching job. Now I thought it was a silly statement and most likely damage control, considering it was started right after national duals, but I was willing to keep my final opinion open until after BigTens and Nationals. Well here we are and my opinion certainly seems validated. It is interesting that people like long_arms, sumo and cornercoach are either no where to be found or avoiding the subject.

hawkfever, as an Iowa fan, do you think this season was Brands best coaching job?

I don't think all that much about it to be honest. Most of it from fans is conjecture and B.S. anyway, it's a matter of one's opinion and perspective.

I have zero doubt if Brands had 10 All-Americans many Hawk Haters would question why he didn't have 10 Champions. That's the way it is. I'm glad he's our Coach, and hope he remains there for as long as he's happy doing it.

Anyone with a clue knows Matt McD was hurt the entire year, Ballweg was up and down and got hurt at Big Tens, Evans at NCAA's and we all know what happened with Telford. That's a lot of potential points out the door due to injury to 4 guys. I doubt anyone else in the country had the same amount of "issues". They (Iowa) weren't going to win anyway, but they might have made it interesting.

I've been watching this stuff for years and years. I'm not naive enough to think Iowa is going to win National's every year, and I'm not going to "panic" when they don't. I didn't like the product and where it was headed at the end of the Zalesky era, I don't have remotely the same concerns with what Brands is doing.

Again, nice, hawkfever. I am not silly and do not hate the Hawks. I never said Iowa was going anywhere. I said Brands was among the top 4-5 coaches. Losing the Nationals 3 years in a row by ever increasing margins is not the standard at Iowa. My track record for a few decades has been excellent. Some Hawk fans cannot tolerate to not only losing but losing big. The name calling is what turned me and MANY FORMER hawk fans into those of us who are sickened and amused at the immature reactions. Go ahead and disagree with facts but do you really need to call names?
Let me guess Donnie. You thought I called you Bigfoot? LOL! You're a peach Sir. If I felt the need to call you something derogatory, I assure you there wouldn't be any question as to whether I had or not. Have a good day.

I'm not too sure of that, hawkfever. What evidence do you have that suggests that the dead feel chagrin, or any other emotion for that matter?

Al Gore said as much right after he invented The Internet and Global Warming. If you can't trust Al, who can you trust?

You silly Hawk haters and your "what if" scenario's are certainly entertaining. Iowa isn't going anywhere, they'll be in the hunt long after you're dead and gone, much to your chagrin I'm sure. . . . How'd you do the 35 or so previous years? Not so hot I'm guessing.
Your reference to the past 35 years of Iowa wrestling dominance and your prediction of their future being "in the hunt" are precisely what this thread is about. Gable nation doesn't want to be merely "in the hunt". They want to win like they did during the Gable years, some of the Zalesky years, and win like they did in Brands' first three seasons as Iowa head coach. This "in the hunt" business isn't going to cut it for Iowa fans who see placing second as failure (ie: McDonough at B1G this season).
Yeah, and UCLA wants to win 9 Basketball Titles in a row too. How's that working out for them?

I haven't heard of a single UCLA fan that committed suicide because they haven't run off a string of National Titles. I don't think you'll hear about any Iowa Wrestling fans in that regard either.

Yes, Iowa Wrestling fans want the Hawks to win everything they enter, not sure that makes us unique. Sometimes you get beat by a better team and you just tip your hat and say "well done". It isn't really that difficult.

I don't think all that much about it to be honest. Most of it from fans is conjecture and B.S. anyway, it's a matter of one's opinion and perspective.

I have zero doubt if Brands had 10 All-Americans many Hawk Haters would question why he didn't have 10 Champions. That's the way it is. I'm glad he's our Coach, and hope he remains there for as long as he's happy doing it.

Anyone with a clue knows Matt McD was hurt the entire year, Ballweg was up and down and got hurt at Big Tens, Evans at NCAA's and we all know what happened with Telford. That's a lot of potential points out the door due to injury to 4 guys. I doubt anyone else in the country had the same amount of "issues". They (Iowa) weren't going to win anyway, but they might have made it interesting.

I've been watching this stuff for years and years. I'm not naive enough to think Iowa is going to win National's every year, and I'm not going to "panic" when they don't. I didn't like the product and where it was headed at the end of the Zalesky era, I don't have remotely the same concerns with what Brands is doing.

I'm not piling on McD, really just don't understand the logic of defending him with this sentence.

How did he beat Garrett the first time they wrestled at Nat. Duals? How did he beat Nico in the dual?

If he was hurt all year how did he ever win a match??

Hawk fans need to move on from this injury thing, it seems the athlete has. Maybe he just didn't perform well at the National Tournament, it happens.

Not an Iowa fan, a fan of good wrestling.

But anyone that thinks SOMETHING was not wrong with McD all year, simply was not watching. :!:

If he was at 90-100% for 3 years then a woman came into his life, take 10-20% off that and suddenly he's vulnerable. Of course, that's just a non-injury example.

I'm not piling on McD, really just don't understand the logic of defending him with this sentence.

How did he beat Garrett the first time they wrestled at Nat. Duals? How did he beat Nico in the dual?

If he was hurt all year how did he ever win a match??

Hawk fans need to move on from this injury thing, it seems the athlete has. Maybe he just didn't perform well at the National Tournament, it happens.

I tend to have the same questions: If McD was hurt all year, he still had some pretty good wins over the same wrestlers that he lost to towards the very end of the year. Of course, it could be that his injury just got worse, or less manageable the more he irritated it - or that he was so limited in practice that he couldn't stay sharp all year, which really hurt him as guys like Garrett improved throughout the year.

I'm not saying McD wasn't hurt - something was definitely "wrong" with him because he wasnt the same wrestler we've all enjoyed watching over the previous three years - I'm just saying that if it was injury, he wrestled really well against the other best guys in the weight class all year long, so why couldnt he keep it going for the last two weeks of his career? And, all the Iowa fans that said his injury would be "revealed" after the season havent spoken up, and neither have any of the coaches. (I also commend him and the Brands for not throwing injury out there as any possible type of excuse.)

But, regardless of what was "wrong" with McD - congratulations to him on a great career and he has nothing to be ashamed about.