Sign in to follow this  
Guest Long_Arms

Brands coaching

Are you at liberty to say what McD's injury was? I still haven't heard anything but guesses, even though the season is long over.

Did Hawkfever answer your question?

Nope, crickets.

My only question is why says that all would be answered after the NCAAs if no one had any intention of following through. Just say "I am not at liberty to say".

Are you at liberty to say what McD's injury was? I still haven't heard anything but guesses, even though the season is long over.

Nope, crickets.

My only question is why says that all would be answered after the NCAAs if no one had any intention of following through. Just say "I am not at liberty to say".

Crickets? Really? I guess no response to what happened to McD despite everyone having to be clueless not to know what happened makes us look a little silly. I always thought it was just a weight cutting / confidence issue, but hey, I don't really know what goes on with the Iowa program, I just know they have a solid team with a storied history. I do remember hearing exactly what you heard too, but so far, haven't heard anything except that "something must have been wrong" for him to lose. I guess that wraps it up. This one is in the books. McD didn't perform as expected because there was something not right. That's a wrap fellas.

I think we need to get back on track here. This thread was about how this season was Brand's best coaching job. Now I thought it was a silly statement and most likely damage control, considering it was started right after national duals, but I was willing to keep my final opinion open until after BigTens and Nationals. Well here we are and my opinion certainly seems validated. It is interesting that people like long_arms, sumo and cornercoach are either no where to be found or avoiding the subject.

hawkfever, as an Iowa fan, do you think this season was Brands best coaching job?

I don't think all that much about it to be honest. Most of it from fans is conjecture and B.S. anyway, it's a matter of one's opinion and perspective.

I have zero doubt if Brands had 10 All-Americans many Hawk Haters would question why he didn't have 10 Champions. That's the way it is. I'm glad he's our Coach, and hope he remains there for as long as he's happy doing it.

Anyone with a clue knows Matt McD was hurt the entire year, Ballweg was up and down and got hurt at Big Tens, Evans at NCAA's and we all know what happened with Telford. That's a lot of potential points out the door due to injury to 4 guys. I doubt anyone else in the country had the same amount of "issues". They (Iowa) weren't going to win anyway, but they might have made it interesting.

I've been watching this stuff for years and years. I'm not naive enough to think Iowa is going to win National's every year, and I'm not going to "panic" when they don't. I didn't like the product and where it was headed at the end of the Zalesky era, I don't have remotely the same concerns with what Brands is doing.

I'm not piling on McD, really just don't understand the logic of defending him with this sentence.

How did he beat Garrett the first time they wrestled at Nat. Duals? How did he beat Nico in the dual?

If he was hurt all year how did he ever win a match??

Hawk fans need to move on from this injury thing, it seems the athlete has. Maybe he just didn't perform well at the National Tournament, it happens.

If all you folks "wondering" about McD aren't able to ascertain something so obvious on your own, there is no explanation I can give you that you'll be able to digest and rationalize anyway, so it really is a waste of my time. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

If anything, this thread enhances my belief that common sense isn't all that common.

How about we just go with this then to appease the herd................... he wasn't hurt, looked really good all year, just so happens that all these other juggernauts just improved to the point where poor ol' McD just couldn't hang with the likes of Trent Sprenkle any more. Happens to the best of them.

Good Day Gents

Hawk fans need to move on from this injury thing, it seems the athlete has. Maybe he just didn't perform well at the National Tournament, it happens.If all you folks "wondering" about McD aren't able to ascertain something so obvious on your own, there is no explanation I can give you that you'll be able to digest and rationalize anyway, so it really is a waste of my time. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

If anything, this thread enhances my belief that common sense isn't all that common.

How about we just go with this then to appease the herd................... he wasn't hurt, looked really good all year, just so happens that all these other juggernauts just improved to the point where poor ol' McD just couldn't hang with the likes of Trent Sprenkle any more. Happens to the best of them.

Good Day Gents

Something was clearly wrong with McDonough, but that's kind of a cheap shot at Sprenkle, or at least comes off as one. Sprenkle is no slouch, put himself in a position to AA, and took McD as he found him. I'm sure you didn't mean to slight Sprinkle, but "the likes of" gives a negative connotation.

Hey, hawk fever, I did not say you called me bigfoot. Read your own post. You did insult Zalesky and called Brands worthless. You called me a silly hawk hater. Maybe you cannot read. Again, I do believe Brands is one of the top 4 or 5 coaches, isn't that ACTUALLY THE TOPIC, BRAND's COACHING?

No he didn't .....

It wasn't till just recently the Pec tear, was mentioned. "anybody with a clue" ... LOL.

Hawkfever, you need to dial the rhetoric down just a bit. There are a lot of us who follow Iowa from a far .. and we had no idea, or facts with regard to McD, and what was going on. For what ever reason it was treated like a national secret. Without a confirmation from any reliable source, we were left with speculation, guesses, and rumor.

Hawk ... there are a lot of us who follow Iowa wrestling and actually like the "product" and how they perform on the mat. It's the Iowa fans that often turn us off. PSU, OKState, Oregon State, Cornell, etc .. etc .. etc .. all have rabid, enthusiastic fans, yet year in and year out, it's the Iowa fans, that turn people off, with regards to the Iowa program. Your problems ore of your own making. And what is most telling, is the drastic drop off, of the fan base when they are not "Top Dogs" in the NCAA race. I think that is referred to as "Fair weather Fans".

I swear ..... You guys seem like you are always angry ... Chill. Calling people names, does not help your cause or argument one little bit. (just an FYI)

Most recently I read where the injury happened during the "Freestyle" season, prior to the NCAA season. Not sure it that was the case or not, yet if so .... Could he not have taken an Injury type year off? Was he out of time?

Hawk fans need to move on from this injury thing, it seems the athlete has. Maybe he just didn't perform well at the National Tournament, it happens.
If all you folks "wondering" about McD aren't able to ascertain something so obvious on your own, there is no explanation I can give you that you'll be able to digest and rationalize anyway, so it really is a waste of my time. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Good Day Gents

Something was clearly wrong with McDonough, but that's kind of a cheap shot at Sprenkle, or at least comes off as one. Sprenkle is no slouch, put himself in a position to AA, and took McD as he found him. I'm sure you didn't mean to slight Sprinkle, but "the likes of" gives a negative connotation.No, I did not intend to denigrate young Mr. Sprenkle in any way, but people can take it however they like, and they do.

It also gives an obvious connotation, which escapes many on this board and others. Sprenkle and Matt McDonough aren't in the same stratsophere from a wrestling perspective, which should bring about the obvious mindset as how McD losing could come about. Could someone like Sprenkle "upset" McD? Sure, happens all the time. But the underlying theme to me is that Sprenkle was the last straw in a year of undeniable problems with Matt McDonough, as it pertains to his body of work as a Senior. If people are too dense to see that (and they clearly are), not sure anything I say could help.

FWIW, Matt McDonough had shoulder surgery last week. I wasn't present at the surgery. I'm not a Doctor. I'm not related. So for those with the obnoxious questions pertaining to specifics of it, I don't have the answer, so don't bother.

The only comment I would have relative to that is from my normal sarcastic viewpoint - "really, that's stunning news".

No he didn't .....

It wasn't till just recently the Pec tear, was mentioned. "anybody with a clue" ... LOL.

Hawkfever, you need to dial the rhetoric down just a bit. There are a lot of us who follow Iowa from a far .. and we had no idea, or facts with regard to McD, and what was going on. For what ever reason it was treated like a national secret. Without a confirmation from any reliable source, we were left with speculation, guesses, and rumor.

Hawk ... there are a lot of us who follow Iowa wrestling and actually like the "product" and how they perform on the mat. It's the Iowa fans that often turn us off. PSU, OKState, Oregon State, Cornell, etc .. etc .. etc .. all have rabid, enthusiastic fans, yet year in and year out, it's the Iowa fans, that turn people off, with regards to the Iowa program. Your problems ore of your own making. And what is most telling, is the drastic drop off, of the fan base when they are not "Top Dogs" in the NCAA race. I think that is referred to as "Fair weather Fans".

I swear ..... You guys seem like you are always angry ... Chill. Calling people names, does not help your cause or argument one little bit. (just an FYI)

Most recently I read where the injury happened during the "Freestyle" season, prior to the NCAA season. Not sure it that was the case or not, yet if so .... Could he not have taken an Injury type year off? Was he out of time?

Random idiots in cyberspace hate Iowa Wrestling Fans? Oh, the horror! LOL!

Next thing ya know, you'll be telling me that random cyberspace idiots hate Duke Basketball.

I can't wait for all the "evidence" you compiled in your exhaustive investigation of the depletion of the Iowa Wrestling Fanbase! That should be a doozy.

You Sir, are the definition of a hypocrite. Hate Iowa? What? Me? I just typed something that says I don't, just ignore my previous 1000 posts to the contrary. Nah.... can't be me! LOL!