NJwrestlingguy

Is Oklahoma still D1?

Yes, you look at that ISU Coaching staff, and you automatically expect big results.  On paper you would expect them to be a major thorn in Iowa's side in a few years, but Coaching is both an art and a science.  I'd like to see signs of this staff gelling.  I believe they will.  My bigger concern is the Sooners.  Just about the time Teyon left, it's been a steady spiral down. Around 2005...ish.  They seem to be trying to find the right answer, but most fans today don't realize the big 4 in Collegiate Wrestling was OSU, OU, ISU, Iowa for many, many years.  I believe that schools will always be good at what they want to be good at.

Edited by Peso

I wouldn't sleep on Oklahoma, or Lou Rosselli.  Next year they'll probably have the youngest lineup in the country.  In two years (2019/2020) I'd expect them to be pretty competitive. Lineup could look like:

125) Hoskins, RS FR - class of 2018 #86  

133) Moody, SR - qualifier as a sophomore this year, round of 12 and maybe AA potential 

141) Madrigal, RS FR- class of 2018 #24--strong on the mat... I think his game translates well to college 

149) Demas, RS SO - had a sort odd year in redshirt, but the potential is there

157) Justin Thomas, RS JR - had an ok year as a redshirt freshman this season

165) Mantanona, RS SO - I think he's going to be good, AA caliber.  

174) Curry, RS FR - class of 2018 #92

184) Waddell, JR - maybe he'll develop, but he took it on the chin this year.  can either Boyd or Woodley get down here? 

197) Woodley, RS SO, or Boyd, RS SO - both of these guys are good.  How did Boyd fly under the radar?  Again, if either can get down to 184 things are looking good.  Both look like AA's.  think Heflin deserves some credit in helping these guys develop... they just need to find a way to work them both into the lineup.  

285) Jones, RS FR - class of 2018 #52, should develop nicely with some added size, I like his prospects.  

That's a competitive lineup in 2 years, and it's still ridiculously young with 7 underclassmen and only 1 senior.  

They're building something down there... it's just going to take a little time.  Rosselli didn't have the advantage of a Brands / Tom Ryan double class or transfers to kick things off.  

Not looking to be a serious contender unless they recruit outside of NJ.  I have never seen anything like their roster.  Just Deluca is from elsewhere and he is a senior.

Two guys; Kevin Mulligan is from Blauvelt, New York.

Agreed that Rutgers cannot do it with in-state talent alone. I would think that Donny P has some westward reach, while as an assistant at Wiscy and UMich. Goodale has to make better use of him in that capacity. I have to imagine that Donny played a significant role in attracting guys like Andrew Howe (Indiana), Tyler Graff (Colorado), Travis Rutt (Minnesota), Ben Jordan (Ohio), et al. Did he have any sway over Kyle Ruschell choosing Madison? point being, the guy can recruit and develop. Give him the chance to venture out and watch Rutgers break into the top 10 within four years.

Lou Rosselli is an excellent coach and has grabbed some solid prospects out of Ohio.  He did not inherit much.  Lets see how the Sooners look next season when some of their frosh are in the lineup.

Yeah, Lou did attract some talent. I could see giving him a couple more years based on that. The cupboard was pretty bare when he took over. But if OU could get a bigname coach I'd jump nonetheless. 

Honestly, can't understand it. How does Cody leave a program like Oklahoma in this state? He did great things at American.

I don't know. I was one of the people who expected great things and was let down. Maybe he had more support at American or something. 

Honestly, can't understand it. How does Cody leave a program like Oklahoma in this state? He did great things at American.

If memory serves he mostly built American on transfers. 

He immediately went that route at OU with Howe and Rutt.  Then he RS'd everyone to load up for one big contending year.  So that meant they were terrible by their standards in the RS year, and then in the year they loaded up for they fell flat on their face with injuries and underachievement.  The capstone of that failed year was Perry dominating Howe in the finals.  And so much scholarship money had been put into the transfers and into upperclass RS years, that the team was barren in the year after the load up year.  

So the team's lost RS year was followed with a very visible failure and then an empty roster with no young guys to reload.  That 3 year stretch was enough to wreck an already declining program and take them off the radar for recruits (even in state).  Basically Cody bet on one big season and lost the bet and the program.

Edited by boconnell

Think it's gonna all come down to recruiting as if that's not obvious.....tough to recruit with Smith and now Dresser in the mix. They have proven coaches just need the horses. I think next year will be a real good indication of what the up swing could be now that Lou will be in season three.

Forget Mark Schultz, go after Andrew Howe, Cody Brewer, Kendrick Maple and keep Helfin at the upper weights. OU will be MUCH improved and the names are all recent.

OU had both Howe and Maple on staff for a short period and it didn't help.  I will say that keeping Lightner was a chicken **** move. 

Edited by LemonPie

If memory serves he mostly built American on transfers. 

He immediately went that route at OU with Howe and Rutt.  Then he RS'd everyone to load up for one big contending year.  So that meant they were terrible by their standards in the RS year, and then in the year they loaded up for they fell flat on their face with injuries and underachievement.  The capstone of that failed year was Perry dominating Howe in the finals.  And so much scholarship money had been put into the transfers and into upperclass RS years, that the team was barren in the year after the load up year.  

So the team's lost RS year was followed with a very visible failure and then an empty roster with no young guys to reload.  That 3 year stretch was enough to wreck an already declining program and take them off the radar for recruits (even in state).  Basically Cody bet on one big season and lost the bet and the program.

Seemed like he would recruit alot of JUCO kids at AU and  did the same at OU(Mejia, Barnes, and another Cuban guy who I can't seem to remember)

I grew up in OK and wrestled there, but I haven't lived there in about 27 years. I don't think they get serious consideration from the local studs at all. OSU gets all the top Oklahoma talent they want and leaves OU the scrubs. Kinda like OU does to OSU in football :D That's why OU recruits so heavily in Missour/Kansas, and also goes for southern boys (who ALMOST never work out) from Texas, Georgia, Florida, etc.

Oklahoma produces one or two studs each year but for whatever reason I am not sure they have the number of great wrestlers that they had 25+ years ago.