NJwrestlingguy

Is Oklahoma still D1?

Honestly that's better than expected.  Demas had a solid win over Brock.  The OU 157 fought hard.  And they didn't wrestle Woodley at 197.  It was a last minute switch after OSU brought out Weigel for the first time in a dual this year.  That should have been the match of the dual so that was a disappointment.  And it was funny watching Montnono at 174 go lock up and attempt to throw Jacobe Smith and get dumped on his head twice in the first minute.  I don't know how anyone looks at Smith and thinks "I should try to throw that guy."

But on the whole OU wasn't terrible.  It's probably the best and the youngest they've been in a while.  The bigger problem is that so far the longer guys spend in the program the worse they seem to get.  

53 minutes ago, boconnell said:

And it was funny watching Montnono at 174 go lock up and attempt to throw Jacobe Smith and get dumped on his head twice in the first minute.  I don't know how anyone looks at Smith and thinks "I should try to throw that guy."

Sometimes it just might be worth a try.

1*ZI5HM9uBpAoPdxoNT4mohg.jpeg

Honestly OU did better than expected. 

If we remove the team names, a top 5, ranked at every weight team is always going to beat an unranked team with 1 ranked guy. 

OSU was favored in every match by a large margin. OU still pulled off a win, and it was the most important win they could’ve had (their most likely AA candidate best a two time AA)

i liked the fight at 174. I think he will have a few random wins as he goes for broke every time and doesn’t seem to mind giving up points. Seems like a tough guy to break. 

OU also has some solid recruits coming in. 

They will have more qualifiers this year than last and maybe even have an AA. Not good by OU standards, but given where they were, it’s a big jump. 

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Honestly OU did better than expected. 

If we remove the team names, a top 5, ranked at every weight team is always going to beat an unranked team with 1 ranked guy. 

OSU was favored in every match by a large margin. OU still pulled off a win, and it was the most important win they could’ve had (their most likely AA candidate best a two time AA)

i liked the fight at 174. I think he will have a few random wins as he goes for broke every time and doesn’t seem to mind giving up points. Seems like a tough guy to break. 

OU also has some solid recruits coming in. 

They will have more qualifiers this year than last and maybe even have an AA. Not good by OU standards, but given where they were, it’s a big jump. 

I agree it was better than expected.

I strongly disagree the 174 showed fight.  He came out swinging for a minute and when it didn't work he gave up and showed nothing but the top of his head for the next 6 minutes.  Multiple times he refused to even face his opponent when he was being let up.  He totally quit in that match the moment his plan A didn't work.

11 minutes ago, boconnell said:

I agree it was better than expected.

I strongly disagree the 174 showed fight.  He came out swinging for a minute and when it didn't work he gave up and showed nothing but the top of his head for the next 6 minutes.  Multiple times he refused to even face his opponent when he was being let up.  He totally quit in that match the moment his plan A didn't work.

Fine. I was looking for a silver lining. 

On 3/9/2018 at 4:25 AM, gowrestle said:

Bring Spates back.

Spates is a Rosselli advocate and believes Rosselli will continue to bring in good young talent who will develop into future All Americans within the next few seasons.  So far his optimism has not caught on here in Norman especially after Sunday’s shellacking at GIA.  And to top ot off, OU has not scheduled a home dual with OSU last season or this season.  Seems ridiculous since that’s the only dual that brings in enough fans to actually qualify as a crowd

On 8/28/2018 at 9:20 AM, cbg said:

Oklahoma produces one or two studs each year but for whatever reason I am not sure they have the number of great wrestlers that they had 25+ years ago.

When I look at OSU & OU rosters and see more kids from Kansas than frim Okla. the only conclusion I can come to is that High Scholl wrestling in Okla. is way down

57 minutes ago, firefighter said:

When I look at OSU & OU rosters and see more kids from Kansas than frim Okla. the only conclusion I can come to is that High Scholl wrestling in Okla. is way down

I can't speak to OU but at OSU we've got two Kansas kids and around 20 from Oklahoma. Furthermore 6 of out 10 starters at the moment are from OK. 

3 hours ago, firefighter said:

That's an issue of OU having about 5 years where they couldn't recruit Oklahoma.  Fix, Brock, Gfeller, Lewallen, Blaylock, Rogers, Smith, Smith, and White could probably make a top 5 team by themselves just of Oklahoma natives on the OSU roster.  Your conclusion may be the only one you could reach but it's horribly wrong.  

On 12/4/2018 at 9:12 PM, Housebuye said:

Well they are going to Reno, so we will find out 

Grandview's backup 133 knocked off Terao today.

Edited by Swayz

Oklahoma wrestling is down from the past.  OSU is still getting the same # of top dogs, but the difference is the quantity is no longer there.  I grew up in Oklahoma, wrestling in high school in late 80's and for Cornell in the early 90's,, OSU had lots of Oklahoma guys, OU had several, but then Notre Dame had 3 or so starters, MN had Nix, Clemson had a couple, Nebraska, Army had a couple.  My school, Cornell had 4 NCAA qualifiers from OK one year.  Now, you rarely see any Oklahoma wrestlers at NCAA's from any school other than OSU.  

OSU generally has gotten the top Oklahoma natives, and OU got the second tier.  Now, the second tier isn't nearly as good.  

On 12/20/2018 at 7:44 PM, dsims1010 said:

Oklahoma wrestling is down from the past.  OSU is still getting the same # of top dogs, but the difference is the quantity is no longer there.  I grew up in Oklahoma, wrestling in high school in late 80's and for Cornell in the early 90's,, OSU had lots of Oklahoma guys, OU had several, but then Notre Dame had 3 or so starters, MN had Nix, Clemson had a couple, Nebraska, Army had a couple.  My school, Cornell had 4 NCAA qualifiers from OK one year.  Now, you rarely see any Oklahoma wrestlers at NCAA's from any school other than OSU.  

OSU generally has gotten the top Oklahoma natives, and OU got the second tier.  Now, the second tier isn't nearly as good.  

OU being down has nothing to do Oklahoma HS wrestling.  The last time OU finished top 5 was 2010.  They did it with AAs Zach Bailey (MO.), Kyle Terry (OK), Tyler Caldwell (KS), and Eric Lapotsky (PA).  Spates for sure got some talent from Oklahoma like Teyon Ware and Michael Lightner, but he lived and died on his ability to recruit nationally.  Guys like Hazewinkel, Storniolo, Robbie Waller, Josh Lambrecht, and Jared Frayer.  

Oklahoma HS wrestling was not better in 1995-2005 then it is now.  The difference is OU signed talent and coached it up.  They haven't done that in the last 10 years.  Hopefully they are on the way to turning it around.  

Haze wasn't really a national recruit as he had wrestled on the same youth team as Teyon and they were going to attend the same school wherever it was going to be, That youth team also had Johny Hendricks, and 2x DivII champ Kyle Evans also Charles Jones that wrestled a couple of years at OU.