NJwrestlingguy

Is Oklahoma still D1?

Why do wrestlers prefer Oklahoma State over Oklahoma. Is it more than John Smith being the coach? By some standards, Oklahoma University is considered better academically.

The same reason Iowa is preferred over ISU, tOSU over Ohio, and PSU over Penn.

OSU is better in wrestling.  That tends to be high on the list for wrestlers.

ISU / Iowa is a good comparison, as they're relatively level academically a la Oklahoma State and University of Oklahoma. Ohio State and Ohio U, not so much, and comparing a large state school like PSU to an Ivy doesn't make since.  PSU vs. Pitt would be a slightly better comp.  

ISU / Iowa is a good comparison, as they're relatively level academically a la Oklahoma State and University of Oklahoma. Ohio State and Ohio U, not so much, and comparing a large state school like PSU to an Ivy doesn't make since.  PSU vs. Pitt would be a slightly better comp.  

But they all apply in terms of why the huge majority of wrestlers pick them.  The question was why do wrestlers pick OSU over OU.  The answer is the same as in those cases.  Because they are better at wrestling and that is what most wrestlers base their choice on.  

Wrestling has changed sooooo much through the decades.  Some of those superstars from the 70's and 80's would be obsolete, like the Rooster Cogburn character in "True Grit."  In my opinion, free and folk are as good as they've ever been.  The style that our folk has morphed into is practically unrecognizable from 30 years ago, as I'm sure those dominant Iowa teams were to the Poke teams from 30 years before.  

Why do wrestlers prefer Oklahoma State over Oklahoma. Is it more than John Smith being the coach? By ALL standards, THE University of Oklahoma is considered better academically.

Fixed it for you. Here's a quick rule of thumb: if you want to be a doctor or a dentist you go to OU. If you want to muck around with animal genitalia, you go to OSU.  Hmmm...I actually did go to OSU for two years. Scratch that last part. But if you are visiting OSU do NOT go into the Animal Husbandry building or you WILL be scarred for life. Peso will vouch for me on this...

OSU is preferred by hotshot wrestlers because 1) OSU has a superior coaching staff, 2) OSU has superior tradition, and 3) OSU actually appreciates their wrestling program, unlike OU.  OU has deteriorated to the point where all they care about is football, at which they excel, and bball, at which they are painfully mediocre. OU is great at gymnastics, but you wouldn't know it from the sparse crowds at gymnastics meets. I mean, sad as it is, I understand why hardly anyone shows up to watch the wrestling team anymore: they suck. But OU's fans barely even show any love to their superb gymnastics teams.

Edited by TobusRex

Wrestling has changed sooooo much through the decades.  Some of those superstars from the 70's and 80's would be obsolete, like the Rooster Cogburn character in "True Grit."  In my opinion, free and folk are as good as they've ever been.  The style that our folk has morphed into is practically unrecognizable from 30 years ago, as I'm sure those dominant Iowa teams were to the Poke teams from 30 years before.  

Ok, I get the Iowa teams over the Poke teams comment....but wrestling hasn't changed that much since the late 70s.

....so many nowadays have copied the John Smith low-ankle shot...and he was a mid-80s guy.

While technique has adopted more of a defensive style, wrestlers are still the same gritty kids they've always been.

Difference is, that refs were encouraged to DQ people for stalling. And they did...see NCAA D-1 championships 1978 and 1979 @ 142 and 177 lbs, respectively.

So now you see a lot of 1-1 and going into OT...ridiculous.

Singles, doubles, a little upper body, inside trips, fireman's carries, sweep singles, low ankle shots ( Bill Nugent, Steve Babyak were a couple of toughies who shot them besides John Smith- it just wasn't mainstream yet), high crotches, Russian arm ties....all of those were in force back in the day.

We rode with near wrist rides, legs in, near arm chop, cradles, claws ( Jude Skove, for one), deep waists with halfs.

We threw bear hugs, headlocks, metzgers, foot sweeps, front headlocks, gator roll/cement mixers, lace legs .

We escaped or reversed with stand-ups, inside and outside rolls, short and long sit-outs, switches, hip heists and mouse-traps.

There were animals back then you haven't heard of that would feed some of the stars of today mat.

Do you really think that Jordan Burroughs or Kyle Dake would get the best of Wade Schalles, Lee Kemp, Dave Schultz, Jarrett Hubbard, Mark Churella or Kenny Monday?

I would think it could/would be a horse apiece, freestyle or folk, as with most of these other comparisons.

Tony Ramos over John Azevedo/Barry Davis/Dan Cuestas/Zeke Jones?

David Taylor/Gabe Dean/Bo Nickal dominant over a Kevin Jackson,Chris Campbell, Mike Sheets or Wayne Wells? Depends who shows up that day.

Logan Stieber/Dean Heil/ laying waste over John Smith/Randy Lewis/Darryl Burley/Mike Frick?   I think not.

Imart/Retherford/ over Metzger, Hicks, Gable? Again, depends who shows up that day,but kind of like the older guys here.

NolfDieringer over Bruce Kinseth/Chuck Yagla/Tim Krieger/Jim Heffernan/Nate Carr consistently?  Think about it. 

J'Den Cox over Ben Peterson/Eric Wais/Ed Banach/Mark Schultz/Jim Scherr?

Kyle Snyder beating Lou Banach/Russ Hellickson/Bill Scherr/Larry Bielenberg every time? Doubtful. Certainly he would be in the fights of his life.

I could go on and on...but this is all conjecture. Obsolete?  Not sure that term applies here.

Edited by BadgerMon

Ok, I get the Iowa teams over the Poke teams comment....but wrestling hasn't changed that much since the late 70s.

....so many nowadays have copied the John Smith low-ankle shot...and he was a mid-80s guy.

While technique has adopted more of a defensive style, wrestlers are still the same gritty kids they've always been.

Difference is, that refs were encouraged to DQ people for stalling. And they did...see NCAA D-1 championships 1978 and 1979 @ 142 and 177 lbs, respectively.

So now you see a lot of 1-1 and going into OT...ridiculous.

Singles, doubles, a little upper body, inside trips, fireman's carries, sweep singles, low ankle shots ( Bill Nugent, Steve Babyak were a couple of toughies who shot them besides John Smith- it just wasn't mainstream yet), high crotches, Russian arm ties....all of those were in force back in the day.

We rode with near wrist rides, legs in, near arm chop, cradles, claws ( Jude Skove, for one), deep waists with halfs.

We threw bear hugs, headlocks, metzgers, foot sweeps, front headlocks, gator roll/cement mixers, lace legs .

We escaped or reversed with stand-ups, inside and outside rolls, short and long sit-outs, switches, hip heists and mouse-traps.

There were animals back then you haven't heard of that would feed some of the stars of today mat.

Do you really think that Jordan Burroughs or Kyle Dake would get the best of Wade Schalles, Lee Kemp, Dave Schultz, Jarrett Hubbard, Mark Churella or Kenny Monday?

I would think it could/would be a horse apiece, freestyle or folk, as with most of these other comparisons.

Tony Ramos over John Azevedo/Barry Davis/Dan Cuestas/Zeke Jones?

David Taylor/Gabe Dean/Bo Nickal dominant over a Kevin Jackson,Chris Campbell, Mike Sheets or Wayne Wells? Depends who shows up that day.

Logan Stieber/Dean Heil/ laying waste over John Smith/Randy Lewis/Darryl Burley/Mike Frick?   I think not.

Imart/Retherford/ over Metzger, Hicks, Gable? Again, depends who shows up that day,but kind of like the older guys here.

NolfDieringer over Bruce Kinseth/Chuck Yagla/Tim Krieger/Jim Heffernan/Nate Carr consistently?  Think about it. 

J'Den Cox over Ben Peterson/Eric Wais/Ed Banach/Mark Schultz/Jim Scherr?

Kyle Snyder beating Lou Banach/Russ Hellickson/Bill Scherr/Larry Bielenberg every time? Doubtful. Certainly he would be in the fights of his life.

I could go on and on...but this is all conjecture. Obsolete?  Not sure that term applies here.

This...

However, I would suggest that Snyder is superior than those listed, on a consistent basis.  ALL of the others are general tossups IMHO.

ah yes, the only difference between Ohio and Ohio State and Penn or Penn State, historical results at wrestling. no other reason to go to one school instead of the other!

Do you honestly think top wrestlers are picking on non-wrestling factors?

Yes. Absolutely.

Do you think McKenna chose Stanford for wrestling?

Yianni thought Cornell was the best school to help him win Olympic gold?

Tsirtis thought Northwestern was the best room for the top recruit?

Yes. Absolutely.

2 of your 3 examples transferred out of premiere schools to go to lesser academic institutions.  These guys are largely picking based on wrestling, and that's 100% of why guys choose OSU over OU.

2 of your 3 examples transferred out of premiere schools to go to lesser academic institutions. These guys are largely picking based on wrestling, and that's 100% of why guys choose OSU over OU.

to be fair Tsirtsis probably never would have transferred had Northwestern not ruled him ineligible

Yes. Absolutely.

I think that academic reputation only plays a part, and not a real big one for most wrestlers. Most wrestlers are fans of certain programs and probably want to wrestle for their favorite teams. I'd have certainly chosen OU or OSU over any other school in the country, even Harvard. In fact I turned down a couple scholarship offers from small schools to walk on at OSU. How stupid is that? 

I think that academic reputation only plays a part, and not a real big one for most wrestlers. Most wrestlers are fans of certain programs and probably want to wrestle for their favorite teams. I'd have certainly chosen OU or OSU over any other school in the country, even Harvard. In fact I turned down a couple scholarship offers from small schools to walk on at OSU. How stupid is that?

Don’t know the small schools so can’t say. But if it was Harvard, I’d say that was pretty stupid.

I sure hope many great wrestlers factor several things into their decision, including being set up for life after wrestling. If they don’t do that, they are missing reasonable adults in their lives to help guide them.

Don’t know the small schools so can’t say. But if it was Harvard, I’d say that was pretty stupid.

I sure hope many great wrestlers factor several things into their decision, including being set up for life after wrestling. If they don’t do that, they are missing reasonable adults in their lives to help guide them.

I'd agree completely. But HS kids aren't generally all that smart, either. They like to live in the moment. I had a friend who was a superb football player. He was recruited by several schools, including Brown University (back when Brown gave full rides)...he went to West Texas State to play football.  Long story short he ended up doing pretty well for himself anyway, getting a degree in petroleum engineering eventually and making decent money. But he turned down an Ivy to play football for a craphole Texas school.

1 hour ago, LemonPie said:

I'd say, "Thanks, Cody," but that excuse has run out.  What an awful team.  Mantanona and Woodley look worse this year.  Jeffries in complete HEW mode.   H

If anything Jeffries is worse now than he was as a Fr.

I'd give Lou another year or two to see what he can do.  OU can't get any worse, so not much to lose.

15 hours ago, LordNelson said:

Was a Cody defender from the start. Looking more and more like the Sun wasn’t all that dim on their side of Bedlam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cody is the primary reason OU is so terrible now. His recruiting sucked balls.

I was a huge Cody pumper in here, too.