Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

D2s and D3s Friday and Saturday

St. Cloud State seems to be the odds on favorite of winning the D2s (yet again) with all 10 weights qualified this year. No other team qualified more than seven. However, Notre Dame College (Ohio) has seven qualifiers, four of whom are the top seed in their brackets. St. Cloud has three guys seeded in the top five. Can their 10 guys make up enough points to earn their third team title in four years and seventh team trophy in the last eight years (two Championship team trophies and four Runner-ups in the last seven tournaments)?

52 teams out of 58 qualified wrestlers to the 16 man bracket tournament.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2018-03-06/10-storylines-watch-cedar-rapids-2018-dii-wrestling-championships

In D3, it's the Wartburg show! Surprise! Surprise! Surprise! Nine qualifiers, of which five are top seeds in their brackets. Stevens Institute of Technology, inthe NYC suburb of Hoboken, NJ, has two studs at 133 and 141 earning top spots in their brackets. Ohio's Baldwin Wallace qualified nine of their ten weights, yet only two of their nine guys snuck in the top 10 for seeding. Does Augsburg or any other team have enough firepower and/or great seeds to challenge the Knights from earning their 14th team title, third in a row and seven in the last eight years?

66 of the 104 teams qualified student-wrestlers for the tournament with 18 man brackets.

http://www.d3wrestle.com/ - the home for everything related to D3 wrestling.

Both tournaments are on Track!

Shorty Hitchcock of Bloomsburg State (now University) won NCAA division II one year and then went on to win Division I.  In fact, he might have even garnered OW in both tourneys.  Those were the days ...

Edited by dmm53

Shorty Hitchcock of Bloomsburg State (now University) won NCAA division II one year and then went on to win Division I.  In fact, he might have even garnered OW in both tourneys.  Those were the days ...

from same time frame...Clarion with 3 D1 champs one season

https://www.si.com/vault/1973/03/19/576518/when-the-eagles-crowed

And many great NAIA wrestlers (excuse me if I miss some):  Bobby Douglas, John Peterson, Chris Wilson, Jeff Thue, John Melling, Miron Kharchilava, Daniel Igali, etc.  All divisions have some great match-ups and individuals.  This is probably the most anticipated post-season I've seen in years in all divisions--great for the game.

Very cool for Jason Welch and co. qualifying 2 guys at SF State in his first year as head coach - Brandon Vu at 125 and Nathan Cervantes at 133.

Otterbein qualified 1 in Kasper at 197 (He is Jacob's brother) this is their first NCAA qualifier. 

Wheeling Jesuit has 5 guys competing, also under a First year head coach. 

Those are just the D2/3 programs I follow. I was a huge fan of Welch when he was in HS and College, Otterbein is about 15min away from us, and Wheeling Jesuit tends to pull kids from Columbus. 

Edited by iGranby

Notre Dame doesn't have any #1 seeds. Brackets are not seeded. Haven't been for 20 years

Thanks for that information. That is the same as NJCAAs.

Allow me to amend my statement: four Notre Dame wrestlers are listed at the tops of their brackets, or what would traditionally be recognized as the number one seed.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/ncaa-division-ii-wrestling-championships-breakdown-20180308

https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2018-03-08/division-ii-wrestling-championships-results-live-updates-and - this page is being updated regularly with live twitter posts.

Wheeling Jesuit in Wheeling WV was started a fou years ago by Sean Doyle (ex Cornell wrestler) and became national ranked very quickly with OH and Pa borders only a few miles away. Sean turned the program over to Danny Irwin this year as he became WJU Director of Undergraduate Admissions. The Cardinals are set to build upon its first four years of accomplishments, which include a 2017 National Duals runner-up finish, two All-Americans with Dustin Warner taking a program-best fourth-place finish at 133 this season, 10 NCAA national qualifiers and a 38-23 dual match record with a program-best 12-6 mark last year.

"The foundation of the program couldn't be in a better place thanks to all the work Coach Doyle and his staff put in. I believe this puts us in position to track down NCAA Team Trophies, while producing multiple Scholar All-Americans every year," added Irwin.

At Wabash, Irwin helped the Little Giants wrestlers to four NCAA Division III Top 10 finishes, three NCAA Team Trophies, seven Top 30 Academic Team performances and a Best of Brand finalist finish. He also served as the Wabash program's director of recruiting with a high percentage being state qualifier level wrestlers.

I really do enjoy watching the D2/D3 tournament. This is my third year to watch the tournaments. My brother teaches at the TCNJ, so I follow them in D3. It fun to see all the exists past just D1. Wish I lived in a place where I could support a local program.

Congrats to Eli Hale, after years of languishing in a backup role in Stillwater he transferred out this year to UCO and made the finals at 125

That kid is one of the most genuine grateful young men I have met.  I had the honor of doing in house play by play for the MIAAs and I have to say Newman's Noel Torres is cut from the same cloth!