NJDan

Lowest Seed with a Chance at Winning

Yes on Branch: "He was a no-name redshirt freshman at the 1994 NCAA Championships in Chapel Hill, N.C. Entering with a mark of 8-9, he left with a national title and a slice of history. Branch became the first unseeded NCAA wrestler to capture a national championship, as well as the first to win after coming in the meet with a losing record."

I believe there were fewer seeds in his day, but with a losing record, I would guess he would not be seeded any year.

While I think there are not very likely, here are the ones I think at each weight are the lowest with a chance at winning:

125: (13) Zeke Moisey

133: (8) Montorie Bridges

141: (7) Brock Zacherl

149: (1) Zain Retherford

157: (7) Micah Jordan

165: (10) Evan Wick

174: (6) Bo Jordan

184: (6) Zach Zavatsky

197: (US) Jacob Smith

285: (2) Adam Coon

Edited by Majinbrak

Branch beat another unseeded guy in finals, Laszlo Molnar from Cal-St Fullerton. Not sure what the record may be, but 1994 may be THE year of the unseeded guys doing damage. check it out:

http://www.wrestlingstats.com/ncaa/pdf/brackets/NCAA%201994.pdf

now to be fair as far as comparisons go, they only seeded 12 then.

That was the crazy year that the NCAA was punishing the big 12. The NCAA did not recognize the Big 12 tournament as a qualifier and all of the big 12

wrestlers had to get at large bids. On top of that I think Brewer had been injured and had not wrestled many matches. That is the way I remember it. Could be wrong.

Branch beat another unseeded guy in finals, Laszlo Molnar from Cal-St Fullerton. Not sure what the record may be, but 1994 may be THE year of the unseeded guys doing damage. check it out:

http://www.wrestlingstats.com/ncaa/pdf/brackets/NCAA%201994.pdf

now to be fair as far as comparisons go, they only seeded 12 then.

And they still did carry ins, no full consolations.  

That was the crazy year that the NCAA was punishing the big 12. The NCAA did not recognize the Big 12 tournament as a qualifier and all of the big 12

wrestlers had to get at large bids. On top of that I think Brewer had been injured and had not wrestled many matches. That is the way I remember it. Could be wrong.

didn't know or maybe forgot the at large angle, but his seed did seem strangely low. He'd been an AA the previous 2 years, lost one match that year which he avenged in Big 12 finals. correct that he did not have a ton of matches, but think he was 17-1 coming in.  

didn't know or maybe forgot the at large angle, but his seed did seem strangely low. He'd been an AA the previous 2 years, lost one match that year which he avenged in Big 12 finals. correct that he did not have a ton of matches, but think he was 17-1 coming in.  

He was definitely screwed with regards to the seed.  Anyone who watched Brewer that year knew he was legit and WAY better than the 13 seed. 

Yes on Branch: "He was a no-name redshirt freshman at the 1994 NCAA Championships in Chapel Hill, N.C. Entering with a mark of 8-9, he left with a national title and a slice of history. Branch became the first unseeded NCAA wrestler to capture a national championship, as well as the first to win after coming in the meet with a losing record."

I believe there were fewer seeds in his day, but with a losing record, I would guess he would not be seeded any year.

Branch was definitely not the 1st unseeded NCAA wrestler to win the title.  Andy Daniels did it back n 1978, and Pat Neu of MN did it also.  There were others back in the 70s that won while being unseeded.

Kennedy Monday

Almost no chance, but I think he has the physical gifts to beat anyone. 

With the top two guys (at least pre-season wise) injured, it is at least interesting

Yes, I know he has Lavallee in the first round and will likely be bonused right away.

Max Dean is super tough and, just like Gabe, doesn't always seem to have the best technique on paper as compared to the top guys in the weight. When it comes down to it though, Dean found a way to win. He would beat some of the top guys by 1 point, but he almost always pulled it off (only 2 losses at NCAAs). 

I see similar characteristics in Max. While Max hasn't had the freshman season Gabe did, he is super strong, has cardio and has shown wrestling acumen. He was not a highly touted recruit and he has been ≈top 10 almost all season. One more level jump and a guy like Bo/MM getting upset or injured could make it a reality.

Every year some of the top level guys get upset for one reason or another. In fact, some years entire brackets fall apart.

Branch was definitely not the 1st unseeded NCAA wrestler to win the title.  Andy Daniels did it back n 1978, and Pat Neu of MN did it also.  There were others back in the 70s that won while being unseeded.

1972 Gary Barton Clarion unseeded and won NCAAs at 134lbs.

NJDan's post was not clearly written. I think he meant Branch was first unseeded wrestler with a losing record to win a title.

190 Tom Martucci [8] - College of New Jersey Division 3 champ

(4-3) Tony Mantella [uS] - Temple Ryan Kelly [11] - Oregon John Forshee [1] - Iowa State 1st: 2nd: 3rd: 4th: 5th: 6th: Geno Savegnago [5] - Eastern Illinois (8-2) Craig Blackman [uS] - Franklin & Marshall (6-3) 7th: Henry Milligan [uS] - Princeton (10-8) 8th: Pat McKay [uS] - Michigan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This year my top 3

Nick Lee, Rasheed, Marstellar 

Edited by cangemi

190 Tom Martucci [8] - College of New Jersey Division 3 champ

(4-3) Tony Mantella [uS] - Temple Ryan Kelly [11] - Oregon John Forshee [1] - Iowa State 1st: 2nd: 3rd: 4th: 5th: 6th: Geno Savegnago [5] - Eastern Illinois (8-2) Craig Blackman [uS] - Franklin & Marshall (6-3) 7th: Henry Milligan [uS] - Princeton (10-8) 8th: Pat McKay [uS] - Michigan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This year my top 3

Nick Lee, Rasheed, Marstellar

2psu guys and a PA kid. Lol