NJDan

Lowest Seed with a Chance at Winning

190 Tom Martucci [8] - College of New Jersey Division 3 champ

(4-3) Tony Mantella [uS] - Temple Ryan Kelly [11] - Oregon John Forshee [1] - Iowa State 1st: 2nd: 3rd: 4th: 5th: 6th: Geno Savegnago [5] - Eastern Illinois (8-2) Craig Blackman [uS] - Franklin & Marshall (6-3) 7th: Henry Milligan [uS] - Princeton (10-8) 8th: Pat McKay [uS] - Michigan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This year my top 3

Nick Lee, Rasheed, Marstellar 

RIP Eastern Illinois wrestling

Kennedy Monday

Almost no chance, but I think he has the physical gifts to beat anyone. 

With the top two guys (at least pre-season wise) injured, it is at least interesting

Yes, I know he has Lavallee in the first round and will likely be bonused right away.

I get why people might be high on Monday for his future, but I don't get all the love he is getting as a sleeper this year. Has the one win over Berger but has plenty of weird losses. 

Lavallee also tech falled him in December so it's a really rough draw for Monday, who likely has a nice future 

1972 Gary Barton Clarion unseeded and won NCAAs at 134lbs.

NJDan's post was not clearly written. I think he meant Branch was first unseeded wrestler with a losing record to win a title.

I think NJdan was quoting from an article somewhere and whoever wrote that was wrong with the info. 

He's the one I would look out for.

Hasn't Chance wrestled Imar very close in freestyle with limited training? I think stylistically he is a bad match up for Imar because he is comfortable in the under hooks. Could be an interesting match up...

Hasn't Chance wrestled Imar very close in freestyle with limited training? I think stylistically he is a bad match up for Imar because he is comfortable in the under hooks. Could be an interesting match up...

is it a freestyle tournament this week?

I get why people might be high on Monday for his future, but I don't get all the love he is getting as a sleeper this year. Has the one win over Berger but has plenty of weird losses.

Lavallee also tech falled him in December so it's a really rough draw for Monday, who likely has a nice future

We see true freshman make the biggest leaps each year and he has a huge amount of potential

Nobody is confident he will AA, but he is worth keeping an eye on.

Yeah, they had a pretty close FS match a year or two ago. IMAR got a bit lucky to win, imo. I think the final score was 10-7 or something.

Agreed. Kennedy ain't Kenny. I see 1-2, maybe 0-2 for him.

While I think there are not very likely, here are the ones I think at each weight are the lowest with a chance at winning:

125: (13) Zeke Moisey

133: (8) Montorie Bridges

141: (7) Brock Zacherl

149: (1) Zain Retherford

157: (7) Micah Jordan

165: (10) Evan Wick

174: (6) Bo Jordan

184: (6) Zach Zavatsky

197: (US) Jacob Smith

285: (2) Adam Coon

Thank you for recognizing how dangerous Jake A Smith is of West Virginia is.  The biggest upset of round 1 could be him knocking Darmstadt off. 

While I think there are not very likely, here are the ones I think at each weight are the lowest with a chance at winning:

125: (13) Zeke Moisey

133: (8) Montorie Bridges

141: (7) Brock Zacherl

149: (1) Zain Retherford

157: (7) Micah Jordan

165: (10) Evan Wick

174: (6) Bo Jordan

184: (6) Zach Zavatsky

197: (US) Jacob Smith

285: (2) Adam Coon

Coon and Zain..... I don't care who you are, this is funny.

J Jaggers was a #6 seed the first year he won NCAA's.  Not too shabby.  That same year Jordan Leen was an 8 seed.

Was that the year Jaggers faked the knee injury in the finals? Never trust someone without a proper first name.

is it a freestyle tournament this week?

Don't act like freestyle results have no relevance at all. It's obviously not the same... That's why I specifically mentioned it was freestyle and that chance lost the match. I'm pretty sure Chance was basically just training in his own at the time so the fact that he could stick with a two time NCAA champ in any style is definitely relevant. I'm still predicting IMar to win it all... I simply said it could make for an interesting match up. That said... I wouldn't be shocked if an upset occurred.

Don't act like freestyle results have no relevance at all. It's obviously not the same... That's why I specifically mentioned it was freestyle and that chance lost the match. I'm pretty sure Chance was basically just training in his own at the time so the fact that he could stick with a two time NCAA champ in any style is definitely relevant. I'm still predicting IMar to win it all... I simply said it could make for an interesting match up. That said... I wouldn't be shocked if an upset occurred.

point is, for example, would that minute+ of riding time Martinez put on Joseph (or the entire period few years ago on Green) have been worth anything in freestyle?

point is, for example, would that minute+ of riding time Martinez put on Joseph (or the entire period few years ago on Green) have been worth anything in freestyle?

Yeah I agree with that part. I do think Imar is better at folkstyle and Marstellar better at freestyle. My point was just looking at NCAA results Marstellar looks like a big underdog, but it could be a lot closer than some think with an upset possible.

Yeah I agree with that part. I do think Imar is better at folkstyle and Marstellar better at freestyle. My point was just looking at NCAA results Marstellar looks like a big underdog, but it could be a lot closer than some think with an upset possible.

Be interesting if it happens. Im more interested in the Marsteller v Rogers, have to assume Marsteller wasn't beating him in the room/wrestle offs but a lot's changed since then.

Be interesting if it happens. Im more interested in the Marsteller v Rogers, have to assume Marsteller wasn't beating him in the room/wrestle offs but a lot's changed since then.

I'd probably make Marstellar the favorite, but you can never tell what you will get with Rogers.

Anyone, or does the NCAA have, the seed that each placing (AA) wrestler was - for each weight class?

IE.  in 2017, at 125, places 1- 8, what was their seed?

Thanks

Edited by josephe