Sign in to follow this  
xander

Were any of us actually there in attendance?

What was interesting to my recollection and I think this has been written about before but for the first few minutes the crowd was in denial not fully cognizant of what was happening. Gable's stunned expression mid way through the bout was a reflection of the crowd's reaction. Reality kicked in and the rest is history.

Edited by Gambatte

DF was the ref, no?

come on Man, you've got the photo ... no?

I wish I had a current photo of DF, but all I have is this old one, from the 80s, outside the State Tournament arena, I'm pretty sure this was the exact moment his mind came up with the concept of the Self Pin

38967838210_3b1cf949dd_o_d.jpg

(he was working on the Jad 'stache)

What was interesting to my recollection and I think this has been written about before but for the first few minutes the crowd was in denial not fully cognizant of what was happening. Gable's stunned expression mid way through the bout was a reflection of the crowd's reaction. Reality kicked in and the rest is history.

I kind of felt that way when Lincoln Mac was getting tossed around a bit by marionetti (sp?). And when Kelber had terry Brands in the cradle for what seemed like forever Edited by xander

My Dad and I were at the MATCH in the OLDE  Hec Edmundson Pavilion !!  Dad and I got there early and had 4th row seats.

It was crazy !!! I was a JR in High school at the time. We lived East of Seattle in a little town of Maple Valley. Tahoma High School, and WSU .... 

PS... For those of you that I have followed over the years .. I am signing off ...

Stage One Alzheimer's is kicking my ass !!  

​Time to put my shoes away, and go fishing ....

Edited by Wire

My Dad and I were at the MATCH in the OLDE Hec Edmundson Pavilion !! Dad and I got there early and had 4th row seats.

It was crazy !!! I was a JR in High school at the time. We lived East of Seattle in a little town of Maple Valley. Tahoma High School, and WSU ....

PS... For those of you that I have followed over the years .. I am signing off ...

. Thanks for the post. Loved hearing your story of being there with your dad.

My Dad and I were at the MATCH in the OLDE Hec Edmundson Pavilion !! Dad and I got there early and had 4th row seats.

. And I hope your health holds —- happy fishing

Time to put my shoes away, and go fishing ....

Sounds like an amazing experience. I've been to Hec Ed and it's a great venue. You were right up front, too. Take care and stay strong.

My Dad and I were at the MATCH in the OLDE  Hec Edmundson Pavilion !!  Dad and I got there early and had 4th row seats.

Pretty cool!  I'll bet you're on one of the shots from The Wide World of Sports televised coverage.  Thank you for sharing.

Wire, man, you are one of the really, really good guys over the years, one of my all time favorites.  Good Luck, Pal.

I was there for Owings/Gable, 'The Thrilla in Manila', something I'll never forget.  It wasn't quite as thrilling as when I landed with Gen Washington on the beaches at Normandy, or greeting Neil Armstrong when he jumped off that little ladder, but it's still clear as day to me.  Let me tell you a little more-

(Get your hands off me - I'm fine, I tell you - I don't need a nap!)

(sorry, Grandpa gets a little crazy when he gets near the keyboard)

It is estimated that over 2 million people remember watching live while Wilt Chamberlain scored his record 100 points. Most claim to have been at the game while the rest recall watching it on TV.

Actual attendance at the game - 4,124 in Hershey Arena in Hershey, PA

Also, the game was not televised nor is there any known video of the game.