• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:40 AM

I’m surprised that for example Flo is picking him to win it all at 125. From what I gather he’s been seriously compromised and didn’t train very much toward the end of the season and competed even less. Given the intense competition at 125 and the grueling reality of NCAAs I for one don’t see him making it very far. What’s the counter argument ?

#2 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,984 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:45 AM

The counter argument is the Lamborghini. J/k. 

Edited by TBar1977, 12 March 2018 - 06:46 AM.

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#3 ScarletKnight

ScarletKnight

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:51 AM

It's a hard weight class, but he has 1 career loss and Majored the 1 seed and returning champion last year.  With a bad knee he still majored in the quarterfinals. 

He will have to beat only Lee or Tomasello.  And both of them decided not to wrestle him during the season

• TBar1977 likes this

#4 redblades

redblades

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:54 AM

He's the sentimental favorite.  I'm picking him, too.

#5 spladle

spladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:04 AM

I think he gets upset in the first 2 rounds. The injury will be too much.

#6 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:08 AM

I wonder if Spencer would have won at Super 32s in 8th grade, would it change many people's feelings? Silly hypothetical I know, but I think it would. I'm not lost on the fact that Spencer lost to Bresser and suriano has no similar loss.
"To use the word domination for me, we do preach that to our guys. We talk about building leads and scoring points, but when I'm talking to an audience it's almost hypacritcal in my mind. We got work to do before we get to the domination." -Tom Brands

#7 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,984 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:13 AM

I wonder if Spencer would have won at Super 32s in 8th grade, would it change many people's feelings? Silly hypothetical I know, but I think it would. I'm not lost on the fact that Spencer lost to Bresser and suriano has no similar loss.

I will give you my stab at a good argument for Nick Suriano. Nick is better than Spencer on his feet, and probably better on bottom as well. They are equal riders, and Spencer is better at actually turning from top. How do you weight this? If you think Nick can take Spencer down, but Spencer can't take Suriano down, then you pick Suriano. 

#8 lu_alum

lu_alum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:20 AM

It's a hard weight class, but he has 1 career loss and Majored the 1 seed and returning champion last year. With a bad knee he still majored in the quarterfinals.

He will have to beat only Lee or Tomasello. And both of them decided not to wrestle him during the season

Did not MAJ the #1 seed. He has 3 career losses. And he has 4 MED FFTs in six assigned B1G pairings.

I’ll take a healthy Cruz over a busted Sorryano any day.

EDIT:  Just realized this was my 5,000th post. Managed to call ScarletKnight out for his fake news, and give a legitimate reason for Cruz to win - although I believe Cruz would beat him without the injury.  Not a bad post at that.

Edited by lu_alum, 12 March 2018 - 12:10 PM.

• Ogalthorpe Haywood likes this

#9 NJWC

NJWC

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:24 AM

Did not MAJ the #1 seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He only beat Cruz 7-0. A healthy NS beats Cruz every time.

#10 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:37 AM

I will give you my stab at a good argument for Nick Suriano. Nick is better than Spencer on his feet, and probably better on bottom as well. They are equal riders, and Spencer is better at actually turning from top. How do you weight this? If you think Nick can take Spencer down, but Spencer can't take Suriano down, then you pick Suriano.

2 assumptions are made here.1. That they are equally as tough on top and 2. suriano is better on his feet. I don't know how you get to that conclusion. This year when they wrestled Bresser, neither one got a takedown. Against NATO Lee didn't get a takedown, but Suriano has never wrestled him. Really he has only wrestled 1 other guy on Natos level and that's gilman, but Suriano didn't take him down either.
"To use the word domination for me, we do preach that to our guys. We talk about building leads and scoring points, but when I'm talking to an audience it's almost hypacritcal in my mind. We got work to do before we get to the domination." -Tom Brands

#11 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,984 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:57 AM

2 assumptions are made here.1. That they are equally as tough on top and 2. suriano is better on his feet. I don't know how you get to that conclusion. This year when they wrestled Bresser, neither one got a takedown. Against NATO Lee didn't get a takedown, but Suriano has never wrestled him. Really he has only wrestled 1 other guy on Natos level and that's gilman, but Suriano didn't take him down either.

I gave a reason why some random fan might take Suriano. 

#12 NJDan

NJDan

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:58 AM

Re Lee: Isn't it surprising that a world freestyle champ has had several matches where he did not get a single takedown?

#13 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:01 AM

I gave a reason why some random fan might take Suriano.

And I was just trying to start some debate sir. Honestly, suriano has shown very few weaknesses, I can see people picking him at this point.

#14 AnklePicker

AnklePicker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,647 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:04 AM

The counter argument is his match vs piotrowski at big tens. Looked good to me. Two more weeks to heal up and train can only help.

#15 Ching

Ching

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:05 AM

I’m surprised that for example Flo is picking him to win it all at 125. From what I gather he’s been seriously compromised and didn’t train very much toward the end of the season and competed even less. Given the intense competition at 125 and the grueling reality of NCAAs I for one don’t see him making it very far. What’s the counter argument ?

Suriano has beaten everyone in front of him this year, except he hasn't had much competition. He's beaten Rivera (7-6, 4-1) and Bresser (2-1), all close matches. Tomasello ducked him, then he ducked the tougher part of the Big Ten. I think everyone is looking at last year's resume to predict this year.

Follow @_Homme

#16 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 979 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:15 AM

Word is out of Happy Valley is he has mono and no real injury.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#17 stp

stp

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

Two important words you left out -

when healthy

• lu_alum likes this

#18 Old_Marine_Wrestler

Old_Marine_Wrestler

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:31 AM

Last season, Lizak beat Cruz at the Scuffle worse than Suriano did in the dual.

Cruz (apparently) had an epiphany after that Lizak match and he then beat the guy that beat the guy...

Suriano deserves the 1 and can definitely win it, but so can 3 other guys.

• NYWRESTLER94 likes this

I like NIke but wait a minute, the sport supports so put some money in it

#19 ScarletKnight

ScarletKnight

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:20 AM

Did not MAJ the #1 seed. He has 3 career losses. And he has 4 MED FFTs in six assigned B1G pairings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No?  I thought it was 1 escape, 2 takedown, 4 backpoints and 1 riding time point?

#20 ScarletKnight

ScarletKnight

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:25 AM

I think he gets upset in the first 2 rounds. The injury will be too much.

I guess if he's hopping around on 1 leg like he did against Picinnini he could lose but .....

If you think Moisey could be the one to stop him, Moisey better worry about his first match or he won't even get his shot.  Has he done anything impressive since his trip to the NCAA Finals?

Fausz would seem to be more of a challenge.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users