Sign in to follow this  
NJwrestlingguy

Best Hwt/285lb Final ever?

2009-Mark Ellis (Mizzou) vs Konrad Dudziak (Duke) was pretty entertaining.  A lot of good scrambles in that match with heavies that moved more like midweights

Also Kerry McCoy vs Stephen Neal was another good one

Coon is a great wrestler but Gwiz was a two time NCAA champ when he was going against Snyder. That has to be ranked above this final. And it certainly lived up to the hype!

Also have to consider Neal vs Lesnar and Mocco vs Konrad

Edited by Eagle26

Gwiz/Snyder.

Potential greatest HWT of all time vs defending world champ who bumped up a weight from previous year. Went to overtime with plenty of offense by both. That's gotta take it. Then you add in that it was at the garden...

Gwiz/Snyder.

Potential greatest HWT of all time vs defending world champ who bumped up a weight from previous year. That's gotta take it. Then you add in that it was at the garden...

If Snyder beat Gwiz, who may have been the greatest heavy of all time if not for that loss, and Coon beats Snyder. Could that make Coon the greatest heavyweight of all time?

Lou Banach versus Bruce Baumgartner in 1981 gets my vote... two legendary heavyweights en route to Olympic gold medals. Bruce had pinned Lou in Midlands finals in December and Lou was out for revenge, taking an 8-3 lead and then pinning BB with a near-side cradle. Action and movement was terrific. Ken Kraft was color commentator and said they moved like lightweights.

Lou Banach versus Bruce Baumgartner in 1981 gets my vote... two legendary heavyweights en route to Olympic gold medals. Bruce had pinned Lou in Midlands finals in December and Lou was out for revenge, taking an 8-3 lead and then pinning BB with a near-side cradle. Action and movement was terrific. Ken Kraft was color commentator and said they moved like lightweights.

good choice !

You beat me to it!

If Snyder beat Gwiz, who may have been the greatest heavy of all time if not for that loss, and Coon beats Snyder. Could that make Coon the greatest heavyweight of all time?

Even if he wins. One finals appearance. Against the list of other heavyweights? No, not even close.

Is owings among the list of greatest college wrestlers of all time??

Beat me to it - I saw this thread and thought, why isn't B vs B at the top?  1981 was my first time attending NCAA's, watching guys that huge move like that was amazing.  I thought, wow, at D1 even the heavies are this athletic?  Then three years later I watched an 800+ lb sumo match between Tab Thacker and Gary Albright.  Ah well, they can't all be gems.

2009-Mark Ellis (Mizzou) vs Konrad Dudziak (Duke) was pretty entertaining. A lot of good scrambles in that match with heavies that moved more like midweights

Also Kerry McCoy vs Stephen Neal was another good one

Where could I watch the Mark Ellis vs Konrad match, I can't find it anywhere Edited by WrestlingLife

1980 Howard Harris of Oregon State Pinned Bruce Baumgartner of Indiana State in 4:35.   He was undefeated that year and pinned his way through the bracket.  I was there and it was awesome.  The crowd went nuts.  He also won the Gorrarian Award and the Most Outstanding Wrestler of the tournament. 

Sheer awesome!  

mspart

If Adam Coon pulls a Gadson, then it will be the best HWT match ever.

Very unlikely for sure. Snyder has only been turned twice=once in college and once internationally. Gadsen in 2015 NCAA final and by Varner in the OTT finals. That is pretty dang amazing. He lost both those matches. Turn him and you can win! Easier said than done!