CoachWrestling

Finals moved from ESPN to ESPN2

I saw badar tweet this and people were in an uproar? What gives?? If you get espn there is a reeeeaaaaal good chance you get the deuce. Is it any kind of big deal at all, or have we (people in general) just become so happy to think we have something to bitch about?

It's a step backwards. If wrestling was going in the right direction it would be on ESPN, not ESPN2

Every match/session is on ESPN, doesn't that seem like a step forward? Last time in Cleveland none of it broadcast, in fact think it wasn't till maybe 2nd year in St Louis they first got finals broadcast. Although i do remember last time in Cleveland & first few in STL was paying ~80-$90 for all session lower level, used to take the whole family. This year $600+ upper & $1,200 lower but lower not even allocated to team fans. As a fan, seems like a step backward, but great for scalpers. :(

It's a step backwards. If wrestling was going in the right direction it would be on ESPN, not ESPN2

There's more access to every match of the tournament than there has been before, but because the finals are on ESPN 2, which is just accessible as ESPN, it's a step backwards??

I guess I just don't get today's mentality.

I saw badar tweet this and people were in an uproar? What gives?? If you get espn there is a reeeeaaaaal good chance you get the deuce. Is it any kind of big deal at all, or have we (people in general) just become so happy to think we have something to bitch about?

The guys from Flo like to complain about the smallest of (potential) mishaps from other services but never internalize their own.  I'm looking forward to watching it on ESPN, their video quality blows Flo out of the water. 

The guys from Flo like to complain about the smallest of (potential) mishaps from other services but never internalize their own. I'm looking forward to watching it on ESPN, their video quality blows Flo out of the water.

Don't disagree. My point was it seems a lot of people bitching about (to me at least) nothing to bitch about.

I don't think there is any tv provider or online package that provides ESPN but not ESPN2? So essentially it's the same thing because everybody has just as much access. If you go from ESPN to BTN or Flo or something that would be a down grade in access, but this is nothing to complain about. Only thing better than ESPN 2 would be NBC, FOX, or another broadcast station.

If it is moved to National coverage of ABC, CBS, NBC, or FOX then we win. I look forward to the day that the NCAA finals finally get on live public tv channel. I do remember the NCAA finals on public channels back in 70s and 80s. It was great.

If you have ESPN, you have ESPN2. As a consumer and sports fan, there is no difference to me. The semis are carried live on primetime on ESPN and you also have access to every single match via the ESPN app (free with ESPN). Plus, you know you are getting a reliable “buffer free”signal. We are doing okay.

ESPN & ESPN2 are now pretty much like FS1 & FS2 (FoxSports) except they didn't add a 1 to the original. They show pretty much equivalent sports on the N & N2 like with FS1 & FS2. But SportsCenter is only on the N just like The Heard & Sportzone, etc. are only on the 1.

Nevermind, just checked and i was wrong on that, SportsCenter is on the 2, so pretty much equivalent for all practical purpose.

Edited by ionel

I will be interested in knowing how the two will compare in the ratings when all is said and done.

ESPN recently had the highest reated boxing telecast in 2018

https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2018/03/espn-scores-highest-rated-boxing-fight-on-cable-television-in-2018-with-saturday-nights-top-rank-on-espn/

Here are the ratings from last years NCAA Tournament that includes some recent comparisons

https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/03/espns-presentation-ncaa-division-wrestling-championships-reaches-8-million-viewers/

Here is write up about what tv ratings and numbers look like

https://jalopnik.com/how-tv-ratings-work-1795820157

ESPN pays nothing for wrestling broadcast rights and sees us only as counter programming vs NCAA Basketball.  Whatever they put on the air will struggle in ratings because every general sports fan in the world is watching basketball.  They don't even air NBA during this time because they don't want the NBA taking the ratings hit and NBA doesn't counter basketball.  

So a company that pays nothing for your product and only puts you on the air as a sacrifice to one of the biggest sporting events of the year decided to put you on a different but identical cable network.  

The sign things aren't good isn't which identical ESPN network we're on, it's the fact that ESPN pays nothing no matter what network they put us on.  That's what an alarmist should be alarmed about if they insist on being alarmed.

But as a wrestling fan I don't care even a tiny bit that I have to put the TV on channel 1606 instead of 1602 on Saturday Night.  

Edited by boconnell

By the only important standard, ratings.

If your measure is Colin Cowherd, then...okay.

But the real, true, factual point, how does it effect anyone who wants to watch the finals? In what way is this a negative impact? Do you really think there's going to be less people watching because it's on 2?

Edited by Lurker

i get the stance that if you have ESPN you have ESPN2 as well.

while there is a small point to be made that ESPN > ESPN2 prestige-wise, that's not what concerns me the most.

a high-profile head coach told me that the finals might be delayed or not aired on time if a women's BBall game runs late.

i think everyone can agree that we don't want that.

i get the stance that if you have ESPN you have ESPN2 as well.

while there is a small point to be made that ESPN > ESPN2 prestige-wise, that's not what concerns me the most.

a high-profile head coach told me that the finals might be delayed or not aired on time if a women's BBall game runs late.

i think everyone can agree that we don't want that.

Send Coon and Snyder to the game!