Sign in to follow this  
lowrider

Division 2 National Brackets

Yes on Martinez.

PRIOR TO UNK

Spent three years at Wyoming .. career mark of 64-27 with 10 falls ... two-time NCAA qualifier ... as a sophomore in 2011-12, ranked second on the Cowboys in wins with 35 ... seven majors and and three tech falls ... helped UW beat Oklahoma for the first time in school history thanks to a major decision ... went 1-2 at the NCAA Championships ... won the West Regional for a second straight year .... as a redshirt freshman, went 29-15 ... team-best 10 majors along with a fall and tech fall ... started at 165 lbs. but moved up to 174 lbs. by the end of the season ... went 1-2 at the NCAA's ... as a redshirt in 2009-10, went 17-3 in open tournaments ... competed at 165 and 174 lbs. ... five majors and one tech fall ... first or second in every tourney he entered ... prior to starting college, he placed at Junior Nationals in both freestyle (fourth) and Greco (seventh).

HIGH SCHOOL

Was the 160 lbs. California state champion as a senior and place-winner (sixth) as a junior ... also a two-time Freestyle and Greco Roman state champion, as well as a place-winner at the Reno Tournament of Champions ... helped team win four straight CIF titles and four straight Southern Section Masters championships

I believe that Lindenwood (MO), a long-time NAIA power, is currently transitioning to D2. Does anyone know when they are eligible to compete at D2 Nationals ?

Next year I believe. They are going to NCWA Nationals and easily dominated the regional they were there by winning by nearly double over the next team.

Some who come on this site are close minded. The D2 format is also used for other events and has been around for quite a while. Only a shallow person would miss the move toward regional conferences in D1. EIWA, B1G are nearly there. The repercussions have been horrible. Check out B12. It appears MAC is headed toward being another region with the addition this year. There are other projected moves underway. I'm guessing when the regions coalesce we will see regional placements. Regardless the snarky comments from former insiders.Time will tell.

No clue how it ended up in Birmingham (....I mean, I know....but I'm still in shock...), but glad it's here. Hope there is local media attention. Would be good to see it pick up around here.

:)

Hope to see some of you fools on Saturday at least.

No clue how it ended up in Birmingham (....I mean, I know....but I'm still in shock...), but glad it's here. Hope there is local media attention. Would be good to see it pick up around here.

:)

Hope to see some of you fools on Saturday at least.

There needs to be a push for the conference that hosted the event to get members from their schools to add the sport. It was a phenomenal DII's this year and I think the push would come at a great time!

There was a lot of good wrestling at the tournament. The competition in DII's is getting a lot better.

A couple of thoughts about the reviews this weekend at the D2 nationals....

1. There were a lot of reviews through out the tournament. I would say about 1 in every 5 or 6 matches in the preliminary rounds, and in the finals there were at least 4 (a big one at 174 with Burgey and Sorenson that lasted about 3 minutes).

2. I think there needs to be a time limit that the ref has to make a decision. Too many matches this weekend had wrestlers standing around for 2+ minutes waiting on the ref to make a decision. A 45 second time limit would be good.

3. There should be a point penalty if a team tries to challenge when they are out of challenges.

4. Overall I think it was good. It helped make the correct call in a lot of matches which is always the goal of the official. A few things need tweaking but I think after the conference tournies and by D1's they'll get even better and be done more efficiently.