Sign in to follow this  
DF

I get to be an assistant ref at the NCAA finals!

Got called up from reffing at the high school and junior college level. 

I won't be one of the main refs but will be one of the refs they bring out during the semis and finals who strolls around the edge of the mat because the semis and finals need "more reffing" than the less important rounds before them.

I won't have any authority over the main ref (or any actual authority at all) but my presence will give the illusion that we're being "more serious" with the reffing in the semis and finals. 

Whatever call the main ref makes will be final, even if we pretend to have a "conference" to discuss it.

But if the real ref has to have a conversation with one of the coaches during a match I have the important duty of making sure the wrestlers stay at the center of the mat because that's crucial in the big scheme of things since the entire outcome of a match can be altered if one wrestler strays too far from center mat while the real ref is talking to the coaches. 

Also, I'm there to make sure none of the wrestlers leaves the mat at the end of their matches without taking off their ankle bands.

... be certain to loosen your neck muscles pre match- if you have a pretend "conference", you must shake your head vigorously and violently up and down indicating "yes" i fully agree with the call and if i had to make that call one hundred more times i would make it the same way and no matter if it's a MAC coach or a PAC coach or a B10 coach in the corner staring at me i would make that call the same exact way and with said head motion you must appear to bow down to the main ref and praise him as the best ref God ever made... just an FYI ....

... be certain to loosen your neck muscles pre match- if you have a pretend "conference", you must shake your head vigorously and violently up and down indicating "yes" i fully agree with the call and if i had to make that call one hundred more times i would make it the same way and no matter if it's a MAC coach or a PAC coach or a B10 coach in the corner staring at me i would make that call the same exact way and with said head motion you must appear to bow down to the main ref and praise him as the best ref God ever made... just an FYI ....

This will be great, because now everyone will know which ref is DF, because he DeFinitely won't be doing that....pretty sure he'll be the one with the vigorous left to right indicating "NO", I totally disagree with the call and will not allow this match to go on until you wave it off.

Got called up from reffing at the high school and junior college level. 

I won't be one of the main refs but will be one of the refs they bring out during the semis and finals who strolls around the edge of the mat because the semis and finals need "more reffing" than the less important rounds before them.

I won't have any authority over the main ref (or any actual authority at all) but my presence will give the illusion that we're being "more serious" with the reffing in the semis and finals. 

Whatever call the main ref makes will be final, even if we pretend to have a "conference" to discuss it.

But if the real ref has to have a conversation with one of the coaches during a match I have the important duty of making sure the wrestlers stay at the center of the mat because that's crucial in the big scheme of things since the entire outcome of a match can be altered if one wrestler strays too far from center mat while the real ref is talking to the coaches. 

Also, I'm there to make sure none of the wrestlers leaves the mat at the end of their matches without taking off their ankle bands.

Do assist refs who work the edge of the mat warm-up and stretch, like the main refs?   

Edited by stp