RetiredPoster

Any Wisconsin coaching news around Cleveland?

I think the selection will be a surprise. I’m picking Damion Hahn.

That would be a surprise - haven't even heard whispers of Hahn being the guy. But hey, why not? The Wisconsin wrestling forum is overheating with banter (pro and con) about Ben Askren and Donny Pritzlaf - only a couple of posters on those threads even seem remotely considering someone outside those two candidates. That said, a handful of posters will not determine who Barry Alvarez picks to replace Davis.

While I have nothing against either Askren or Pritzlaf, I suspect both represent "a bridge too far" as choices for a staid institution like the UW, for differing reasons; both might be excellent choices for the program, but I can't see Alvarez going either of those directions.

I hope Ben gets the job but I'd be surprised at this point.

Hahn would be very interesting. Would Darmstadt follow him?

No way Darmstadt would leave Cornell

I like Ben but he needs to understand the difference between conspiracy theories and real life. His public statements about Sandy Hook should remove him form consideration.

Love his podcast, have always been a big fan, but he isn’t responsible enough to be a head coach at a D1 University

UW prides themselves in the fact that they hold very high standards.  Pushing to be one of the best academically in the nation/world.  They very rarely take a chance on a coach that may make them look bad.  That will eliminate some of the choices.

UW prides themselves in the fact that they hold very high standards. Pushing to be one of the best academically in the nation/world. They very rarely take a chance on a coach that may make them look bad. That will eliminate some of the choices.

agree. That eliminates Ben

I can't speak for Askren, but I'd imagine at the end of the day owning his own business and having the freedom to do/say whatever he wants would seem more appealing to him than a college head coaching job.

I think the main draw for Askren would be the challenge of putting his home state of Wisconsin on the map again. But I don't think that would be a big enough draw to top the things I mentioned above, if he even is offered the job in the first place.

By things Ben has been saying, I think he would like the job, and I would love to have him, however, by knowing the Badgers a bit, I am going to guess they will surprise us all and hire someone that we all go????????????

If Askren is out, does an alternate get his spot in the coaching search bracket or does Wisconsin have to re-seed the entire thing?

Very good question but he is all in, so no alternate or re-seed needed.

I am curious and would like to hear from those who know more, but what about guys who are current head coaches, like Jeremy Spates at SIUE, or former coaches like Eric Guerrero or Greg Randall? What are the thoughts on those guys?

What about Daddy Spates? Jack might be interested in coaching again. 

Neither Ben nor Donnie fit into the Alvarez mold. Perry or Guerrero ...no chance. Spates and Hahn are interesting choices...I'm starting to think current D2 or D3 are more in the salary range.

I know Askren said he would like the job previously, but right now at this moment the GSP carrot is really hanging out there.  And that's a huge carrot.  He'd make more money by signing that one fight than he would in a career coaching at UW.  My opinion, as long as that carrot is hanging out there, he doesn't take any head coaching job.

Edited by Lurker

I know Askren said he would like the job previously, but right now at this moment the GSP carrot is really hanging out there.  And that's a huge carrot.  He'd make more money by signing that one fight than he would in a career coaching at UW.  My opinion, as long as that carrot is hanging out there, he doesn't take any head coaching job.

That carrot is 3 plus years old, it is time to move on from that

That carrot is 3 plus years old, it is time to move on from that

Not really. It's always been a "what if", but never a serious what if. Because GSP had never considered it. He's talking about it now. He's on record saying it's a fight he would strongly consider as a "build my legacy" fight.

McGreggor/Mayweather was never going to happen, then all of the sudden there was this tiny little spark that it could. There's that spark now with Askren/GSP over the last couple weeks...