RetiredPoster

Any Wisconsin coaching news around Cleveland?

Neither Ben nor Donnie fit into the Alvarez mold. Perry or Guerrero ...no chance. Spates and Hahn are interesting choices...I'm starting to think current D2 or D3 are more in the salary range.

Agree mostly, but Jack Spates?  While I respect him as a coach that would be a terrible call.  You need someone younger than that, granted doesn't need to be under 40.  

Not really. It's always been a "what if", but never a serious what if. Because GSP had never considered it. He's talking about it now. He's on record saying it's a fight he would strongly consider as a "build my legacy" fight.

McGreggor/Mayweather was never going to happen, then all of the sudden there was this tiny little spark that it could. There's that spark now with Askren/GSP over the last couple weeks...

I get all that, 3 years ago I would have paid $50 to watch it, next year when they are talking about making this happen, I wouldn't pay $5 but that is just me!! 

Says that Davis was making $107,000 a year at Wisconsin. That's less than the TE coach on the football team for Godsake. Chump change compared to a big MMA payday, for sure.  The only coaches from Wisconsin making less than Davis were the golf coaches (mens and women) and rowing coaches (mens and womens). 

http://www.wiscnews.com/sports/college/football/article_9a7c97f3-d1e3-5baa-9e18-f530c85c7edc.html

Edited by TobusRex

Does Askren have any current sponsorships that he would need to give up if he took the coaching job? I know some coaches make a lot of money through performance incentives, sponsorships through the athletics program, investment portfolios from donors and all sorts of crazy stuff, like the Bama alumni paying off Nick Saban's house... but I get the feeling it probably isn't so lucrative in wrestling.

I get all that, 3 years ago I would have paid $50 to watch it, next year when they are talking about making this happen, I wouldn't pay $5 but that is just me!!

Totally undsrstandle. Truth is I wouldn't buy it either. But reality is, he'd still make millions. And the fight is looking possible.

Says that Davis was making $107,000 a year at Wisconsin. That's less than the TE coach on the football team for Godsake. Chump change compared to a big MMA payday, for sure.  The only coaches from Wisconsin making less than Davis were the golf coaches (mens and women) and rowing coaches (mens and womens). 

http://www.wiscnews.com/sports/college/football/article_9a7c97f3-d1e3-5baa-9e18-f530c85c7edc.html

So Mourlam at VT was making less than 50K, even had a paper route, although that could be because the guy never slept.

So Mourlam at VT was making less than 50K, even had a paper route, although that could be because the guy never slept.

Damn.

I think the salary OU pays to Lou Rosselli is a damned disgrace. Makes me ashamed to be a Sooner fan, actually. If it wasn't for a $20,000 yearly "stay" bonus he'd be pulling down only $25k.  Meanwhile wildly incompetent defensive coordinator Mike Stoops (who, let's be honest here...cost OU the National Title this year in football) is pulling down a cool $870,000.

http://newsok.com/article/5553613

Edited by TobusRex

Nobody has mentioned it..how about Pat Smith? The guy was a fabulous technician on the mat. If he's conquered his personal demons I bet he'd make a spectacular head coach. 

Not a chance.   Bryan Snyder or Damion Hahn.  Sean Bormet would be a great hire, but he is next in line and UM.

Michael Lightner makes $97,500 as an assistant. $25,000 isn't Rosseli's salary.

Damn.

I think the salary OU pays to Lou Rosselli is a damned disgrace. Makes me ashamed to be a Sooner fan, actually. If it wasn't for a $20,000 yearly "stay" bonus he'd be pulling down only $25k. Meanwhile wildly incompetent defensive coordinator Mike Stoops (who, let's be honest here...cost OU the National Title this year in football) is pulling down a cool $870,000.

I think Troy Steiner would be the best hire, but it is too soon for him to leave Fresno?  Just wondering.

Bono, another great hire, but is he going to leave SDSU?

I don't see Pritzlaff getting the job.  Is he polished enough for such a high position?

Hahn is a great hire, too.

Snyder has both the wrestling and the academic requirements for the job.

All would be terrific.

Hahn

Steiner (both)

Bono

Snyder 

Pritzlaff

Just what I've heard

Damn.

I think the salary OU pays to Lou Rosselli is a damned disgrace. Makes me ashamed to be a Sooner fan, actually. If it wasn't for a $20,000 yearly "stay" bonus he'd be pulling down only $25k.  Meanwhile wildly incompetent defensive coordinator Mike Stoops (who, let's be honest here...cost OU the National Title this year in football) is pulling down a cool $870,000.

Another case of not believing everything you read...

No way Rosselli only makes that

Edited by tbert

I'd take both Hahn or Snyder more than the rest of the field. If Alvarez is doing his homework, and listening to SMART alumni of the program, they already know that both those guys have deep ties to that Eastern PA (Lehigh Valley)/New Jersey territory. Those places are goldmines for talent. Along with that, both guys have proven that they can effectively recruit from coast to coast and both guys have proven that they can develop guys into title contenders. Snyder with his PhD and Hahn working at an Ivy and Wiscy being an academic powerhouse leads to more opportunity to recruit those east coast prep school kids, too.

If Wisconsin wants to be a contender in the near future, one of them (or both) are your best bets for the job more than any of the other names out there right now.

Damn.

Rosselli makes $170,000 according to this: http://oklahomawatchdata.org/university-salaries/search?q=rosselli

What about Andrew Howe? Would he leave Evanston to coach at one of his Alma Maters? Zach Tanelli is another alum and would he leave Columbia to coach in Madison?

Howe has no more chance than Donnie, they both took the same bus out of madison