KTG119

Tsirtsis

In most cases, but he has battled through so much to get back here!

He had some tough stuff but nothing that made any lasting change in his ability to win a wrestling match.  He's suffered no major injury and there is no physical reason for him to be worse now than before.  He's the same guy who won a title before, he's just gone through a mostly self-imposed journey.  

I'll root for him the rest of the tournament and if he becomes an AA it will be a great example of perseverance, but his National Title was a whole lot more impressive.  

Are you absolutely sure you're thinking of the right person?

It's totally possible I'm wrong and a huge jerk here.  I was pretty sure he was eligible by NCAA standards but academically not eligible by Northwestern standards.  If that was the case it's definitely self-imposed.  If I am mixing up stories I might be way in the wrong.

It's totally possible I'm wrong and a huge jerk here.  I was pretty sure he was eligible by NCAA standards but academically not eligible by Northwestern standards.  If that was the case it's definitely self-imposed.  If I am mixing up stories I might be way in the wrong.

"Last September, my sister passed away in a tragic car accident, which definitely was brutal on our family," said Tsirtsis. "Then in late October, my best childhood best friend -- we're still best friends -- he passed away tragically with a heart attack. So those two things mentally put me in a tough state last year." (2016)

Imar’s dad died and that didn’t seem to affect his wrestling. Sometimes it’s how we react to our surroundings that makes the difference. Although the phrase “self imposed” doesnt feel quite right.

"Last September, my sister passed away in a tragic car accident, which definitely was brutal on our family," said Tsirtsis. "Then in late October, my best childhood best friend -- we're still best friends -- he passed away tragically with a heart attack. So those two things mentally put me in a tough state last year." (2016)

I understand that.  That's tough on anyone.  I don't blame a young man for having academic trouble after hardship, but I also think it's more impressive to win a National Title than to come most of the way back from academic issues.  

Like I said, it's a great story of perseverance and I'll root for him, but his national title is still far more impressive than if he AAs this weekend.  

Edited by boconnell

He had some tough stuff but nothing that made any lasting change in his ability to win a wrestling match. He's suffered no major injury and there is no physical reason for him to be worse now than before. He's the same guy who won a title before, he's just gone through a mostly self-imposed journey.

I'll root for him the rest of the tournament and if he becomes an AA it will be a great example of perseverance, but his National Title was a whole lot more impressive.

Good lord, that’s stupid. Google the circumstances-

Imar’s dad died and that didn’t seem to affect his wrestling. Sometimes it’s how we react to our surroundings that makes the difference. Although the phrase “self imposed” doesnt feel quite right.

Imar's stepfather passed away.  Moreover, look back at his performances up to the finals... seems to me he was affected. 

Jason Tsirtsis sister passed in a tragic car accident where the person who was driving flew a curb at high speeds on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago.  Then a month later his best friend since first grade passed away unexpectedly with a heart attack.  That happened in the late summer and early fall of his junior season at NW.  Then at the end of junior season he got a D+ and missed by one percentage point, needed a C-, to be eligible to wrestle his senior year.  That had nothing to do with NCAA eligibililty requirements.  Nothing of this was self imposed IMO.  After that wrestling did not seem to be on his priority list.  He seemed to get out of shape and we all know it is hard to come back to wrestling after you get out of shape.  He isn't nearly the same wrestler he once was, but that was great seeing him beat NW yesterday.  That had to feel great for him.  Good luck to him!!! 

Self imposed I can't believe what some people say when they have no idea

The only thing self imposed is your stupidity on this subject.  

Tell him it was his step father

I'd tell him, except he already knows.  I read TV's post different than you, just a small correction rather than belittling or downplaying what Imar went through. (i.e., "It was his younger sister that died, not his older sister").  In TV's estimation, it clearly affected Imar's performance - these guys aren't robots, they are human.  Going back in time, I was able to attend the memorial service for Dave Schultz at the Palestra in 1996.  Not sure I've ever seen more national/Olympic/world champions in one place, after the formal service was over, people milled about on the floor.  Guys like Baumgartner, Beloglazov, Mark Schultz, guys I'll never see in person again...  People were going up to them, presumably saying the right things, but I couldn't bring myself to it, they looked pretty overwhelmed by it all.  Still a brutal memory for all of us around at the time.