KTG119

Tsirtsis

Gable has always spoke about how his sisters murder affected him (positively and negatively) in various ways too

X, you've stated that you're friends with Gable, correct?  Where did you two get to know each other?  Guessing your age by your posts, I thought he had graduated and moved on before you arrived - just curious.  (I haven't seen any posts by DAA here in quite a while, he obviously has great observations about the early years)

X, you've stated that you're friends with Gable, correct? Where did you two get to know each other? Guessing your age by your posts, I thought he had graduated and moved on before you arrived - just curious. (I haven't seen any posts by DAA here in quite a while, he obviously has great observations about the early years)

I got to know gable very well when I attended many many Iowa wrestling camps. I loved the father son ones especially. Great memories. We always had BBQ at his house. I love his house. It’s a museum. Pool. Hot tub. Steam room. And it has a wrestling room. Yes. I am 10 years younger (or he is 10 older) :-). We bonded because of course ISU alma mater but more because I was from Sheldon Iowa (go orabs) and of course TNT are Sheldon natives (although I think they were born in council bluffs or Omaha)

I'll be pulling for Trsistis, wasn't familiar with the story behind his move to ASU. Not every tragedy is dealt with the same by an individual, just as success at this once a year tourney that many use to define "success" isn't always about "talent" or capability. It comes down to priorities in life, and what matters most ...to some elite recruits they've got to win an NCAA title! To others education, supporting a family, starting a family are more important. I know many competitors who beat NCAA champs during the season, and many AA'S,  to just not prioritize wrestling enough to eat sleep and breathe it and become an NCAA champ or All American. No one could surmise they didn't have the capability or talent, it takes a certain type of person to put all his eggs in the  basket of "wrestling success" at the early ages of 18 to 23. While I love this weekends excitement as a former competitor and now "fan". It's tough to watch some dreams evaporate for these young men. Sorry off on a tangent...I guess the Trsistis story got me thinking. 

I got to know gable very well when I attended many many Iowa wrestling camps. I loved the father son ones especially. Great memories. We always had BBQ at his house. I love his house. It’s a museum. Pool. Hot tub. Steam room. And it has a wrestling room. Yes. I am 10 years younger (or he is 10 older) :-). We bonded because of course ISU alma mater but more because I was from Sheldon Iowa (go orabs) and of course TNT are Sheldon natives (although I think they were born in council bluffs or Omaha)

Great stuff.  He's not perfect, like any of us - I thought he went way over the line in the 1984 Randy Lewis-LeeRoy Smith debacle, but we all have things like that (and lots of people disagree with me on that one).  All the bios I read, about the only interests/priority he has besides wrestling is his wife and daughters (now grandkids, I suppose).  And never any major scandals, hookers, money, the usual stuff about him.  It's nice to know he really is one of the 'good guys'.  (Seems to be the giant money sports where coaches sleep with cheerleaders or take money under the table from agents.)

I'll be pulling for Trsistis, wasn't familiar with the story behind his move to ASU. Not every tragedy is dealt with the same by an individual, just as success at this once a year tourney that many use to define "success" isn't always about "talent" or capability. It comes down to priorities in life, and what matters most ...to some elite recruits they've got to win an NCAA title! To others education, supporting a family, starting a family are more important. I know many competitors who beat NCAA champs during the season, and many AA'S,  to just not prioritize wrestling enough to eat sleep and breathe it and become an NCAA champ or All American. No one could surmise they didn't have the capability or talent, it takes a certain type of person to put all his eggs in the  basket of "wrestling success" at the early ages of 18 to 23. While I love this weekends excitement as a former competitor and now "fan". It's tough to watch some dreams evaporate for these young men. Sorry off on a tangent...I guess the Trsistis story got me thinking. 

With all this stuff about his wrestling - and it would be great to see him go out on top - more importantly, did he get himself back on track academically?  That may be hard to know due to privacy regs and all that, but that is a priority, too.  Hope to hear in May or thereabouts that he walks across the stage and gets his degree.  Anyone with any info?