Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Chance Marsteller an All-American

I was telling my lady last year how crazy it is that Seth Gross has done what he had (at that point) - I explained that someone who is so undisciplined as to break the law in the fashion he did typically don't end up making it in wrestling, especially in D1. This is due partially because coaches "wont touch" those guys again, as well as the guys themselves not being able to bounce back. Seth is an incredible story, and Im really enjoying being a fan of his. 

Now, to see Chance Marsteller do this gives me chills. I've literally never even been in the same room as the guy (other than ncaa's this year) and I'm proud of him. For him to not only have the season he did, but to have nearly a 4.0 is so great.

I hope he wins a title. Dont care who he beats in doing it. I also hope he gets into coaching both while, and after he competes internationally. He could have such a tremendous impact on young student-athletes.  

What about all the student athletes who AA'd and made Academic All-Conference and stayed out of jail?  These fine young men should be applauded as well.  They overcame their own struggles that may not have been as publicized as Chance's.  What Chance did is impressive.  What others have done is also impressive. 

What about all the student athletes who AA'd and made Academic All-Conference and stayed out of jail?  These fine young men should be applauded as well.  They overcame their own struggles that may not have been as publicized as Chance's.  What Chance did is impressive.  What others have done is also impressive. 

It's not about who, deserves what, more.  Chance is simply a bigger story because of his mistakes.  Quite a few people were more than happy to see his early "failures" and loved running him through the mud for his drunken stupidity.

The sentence he received was no joke.  A vast majority of people with his issues would  rather serve jail time and honestly had a better chance with that than complying with the probation.  What he achieved is no better than what the others did.  It is simply more noteworthy because everyone knew his dirty laundry.

4-2, beating Richie Lewis in the blood round. Richie Lewis ends his senior year without All-American honors, but had one hell of a career at RU. Chance faces Chandler Rogers in the next round.

Would have thought the Champ would have done better.  Not really!  

Bo Jordan made Academic All-Big Ten and he has two kids.

What was his major?  Seriously?  tell me Physics, Mathematics, or Chemistry I am impressed.  Computer Science or Engineering--you bet?  Just curious what.  

Certainly - and I can almost guarantee those student athletes are being bragged about all over their school's social media, and websites, etc. My point, as well as many others' I'm sure is that he came back after all of that and turned it around. Something most people in that situation are simply not capable of doing. Plus, oversimplifying his whole story to "He went to jail" is like telling someone that Yianni just digned his knee a bit during a match at nationals, but was okay and still won it. Bit more to the story than that.  

Society loves to build people up to tremendous heights and then see them fall and tear them down. They then love seeing that person rebound. It's makes for an entertaining story.