Sign in to follow this  
airmail

Hats off to Heil

The OSU website says he studies zoology.  My guess is he wants to be the best zoologist in the country, but only by the slimmest margins.

Beats the crap out of being a middle of the road (being generous here) critic.

Heil was a class act every time on the mat - win or lose.  

My guess is you don't get past 9:00 am without showing your colors.  You sure as hell didn't make it past 10:36 pm. 

Edited by TFBJR

Great career. This last season shouldn't put a damper on what he previously accomplished. Best of luck to the young man in his future endeavors.

Clear case of a warrior that finally ran out of steam. Dominant for so long but his body finally gave out on him. Dude has won everything and has a ton of notches in his belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beats the crap out of being a middle of the road (being generous here) critic.

Heil was a class act every time on the mat - win or lose.  

My guess is you don't get past 9:00 am without showing your colors.  You sure as hell didn't make it past 10:36 pm. 

I'm not sure what your beef is.  I am a huge Heil fan and even in poking fun said he was the best in the country.  The worst thing I said about him is he was only the best by a slim margin.  When you're the best in the country by a slim margin it's not an insult it's a national championship. 

It was a tough ending for Heil but he's a 2X champ who probably doesn't need you to stick up for him when a middle of the road critic makes a dumb joke.

Edited by boconnell

Clear case of a warrior that finally ran out of steam. Dominant for so long but his body finally gave out on him. Dude has won everything and has a ton of notches in his belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think his demise this season was an "injury" ? Sure didn't seem like one during those scrambles with Yanni D. How many matches has Heil won by less than 2 points in his career 65 - 70%? He was great at holding position, very good at winning a scramble also, his offense from Neutral was limited compared to some others , he wasn't "great" on top....he had a STRONG desire to succeed at the college level and obviously he did that. Yanni D sort of beat him at his own game IMO. Sooner or later if you don't distance yourself from the pack, you're going to lose. I think the motivation/frustration of others losing close bouts with him in the past motivated them to dig deeper and turn the results around. I don't se it as anything Heil did or didn't do this year. He's got 2 NCAA titles, when it's all said and done he achieved many goals,  and was a great competitor. 

I really think there was at least some degree of HEW. His "edge" just wasn't there like the years prior. The reason he kept winning was that will to win, very similar to Dake. They just would not give up the 50/50 or even 40/60 positions. This year, it looked like he didn't fight near as hard in those.

Now, this may have been, at least in part, a result of the neutral scramble rule change. If so, he took it too far. It seemed he gave up positions he never would have, waaaay before they ever got to "danger" criteria.

Still, he had a career most can only dream about.

I enjoyed following him through high school and college, culminating in beating his high school rival in an NCAA final. Seemed to lose some incentive for whatever reason.Success in his future is predictable.

Wrestling at Okie Sate, being your last year of competition, defending your NCAA title.....seems odd he would "lose incentive" . His game planned never changed in the years I've watched him.  Too many close matches without changing something, probably more arsenal in your offense in his case from neutral, and not relying on your ability to pull out a score off your opponents offensive effort. Good kid....excellent college career.