Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Improvement Awards

Most improvement from League Championship to NCAA's - Iowa Hawkeyes by a mile

Most improvement last year to this year (individual) - Ok, coming off redshirt, but still ... Hayden Hidlay

Add in Awards you'd like to hand out in this thread. 

Edited by TBar1977

Least improvement over his career:  Barlow McGhee

Soph:  24-9  @ 125

Jr:  19-13  @ 125

Sr:  10-13  @ 125

Not sure what went wrong along the way, but he did not improve in one single area over the last 3 years.  I want to feel bad for him, but the way he wrestled all you could feel is frustrated.

The only real positive thing I could say is that it didn't hurt Mizzou too much since he rarely gave up bonus pts.

How about the kid from Lock Haven in the finals? 15th seed? That young man has to be in the mix somewhere in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. But Hidlay’s body of work this season including the beatdown of a very game Pantaelo is ridiculous given where he was a year ago.

Least improvement over his career: Barlow McGhee

Soph: 24-9 @ 125

Jr: 19-13 @ 125

Sr: 10-13 @ 125

Not sure what went wrong along the way, but he did not improve in one single area over the last 3 years. I want to feel bad for him, but the way he wrestled all you could feel is frustrated.

The only real positive thing I could say is that it didn't hurt Mizzou too much since he rarely gave up bonus pts.

Weight cutting?

Least improvement over his career:  Barlow McGhee

Soph:  24-9  @ 125

Jr:  19-13  @ 125

Sr:  10-13  @ 125

Not sure what went wrong along the way, but he did not improve in one single area over the last 3 years.  I want to feel bad for him, but the way he wrestled all you could feel is frustrated.

Improved competition?

I think Pletcher deserves an onorable mention if he places third. Almost nobody expected him to do well. He has constant doubters.

I like the Hidlay pick.

I think Spencer Lee is in the conversation. He was amazing coming in but took some losses and most of his hype disappeared when he lost to Bresser.

Macchiavello should be on the list too. Never AAd and is now in a winnable finals match. If Renda had won that quarter match (so close), NC State would be rolling

For sheer improvement, Macchiavello is good but Hidlay wins. Lee gets accolades all the time, as he should being a 2 time Junior World Champ. Macchiavello is the guy that was so tough that every dang time Matt McCutcheon wrestled him he, meaning Cutch, ended up injured. 

Edited by TBar1977

I think Pletcher deserves an onorable mention if he places third. Almost nobody expected him to do well. He has constant doubters.

I don’t think he had that many doubters as people just don’t like his style bc it’s boring. I think most people thought he would do well dropping to 133

Tariq Wilson (NCST) seems to be having a breakthrough weekend. 21-7 last season as a redshirt. Unseeded at 25-10 coming into the tournament, knocks of the 5th & 4th seeds and comes within an inch of upsetting Gross in the semis.

Edited by gromit