Sign in to follow this  
dabearspack

Hidlay's chances against Nolf

Nolf is amazing, but he only beat Pantaleo 6-4 earlier this year, and that was before he injured his knee.  Hidlay seems like a slightly better version of Pantaleo.  

Yet at the same time, Hidlay has won close matches against guys that aren't title contenders (3-2 over Berger, 4-2 over Rahmani).

Who should be favored in this match?  I watched both semi-finals and I have no idea who to pick.

Nolf is amazing, but he only beat Pantaleo 6-4 earlier this year, and that was before he injured his knee.  Hidlay seems like a slightly better version of Pantaleo.  

Yet at the same time, Hidlay has won close matches against guys that aren't title contenders (3-2 over Berger, 4-2 over Rahmani).

Who should be favored in this match?  I watched both semi-finals and I have no idea who to pick.

Nolf wrestled poorly against Pantaleo during the first 2 periods, but dominated him in the third leaving no doubt in the match. Nolf is the solid favorite here, but it's not out of the question for Hidlay to pull off the upset. 

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Hidlay can absolutely win this match.  Not sure why people keep doubting him.  

Yea, OK. 

Reminds me how Florida people always said Eric Grajales would kick David Taylors butt.

Who knows....maybe I'll be wrong.  I'll be cheering for Hidlay!  Go Bucks.

Yea, OK. 

Reminds me how Florida people always said Eric Grajales would kick David Taylors butt.

Who knows....maybe I'll be wrong.  I'll be cheering for Hidlay!  Go Bucks.

Are you really comparing Hidlay to Grajales? Hidlay has done more this year than Grajales did in his entire career.  Have you been watching him wrestle all tournament? He is a very solid wrestler.  Nolf is the favorite, but I've seen enough wrestling to know this can be a match given that Nolf is not 100%. 

This conversation is why I love the NCAAs so much.  When you're wrestling in-conference or the same tournaments every year the guys seem to know each other and there's very little guesswork.  This tournament has so many first-time match ups that make it crazy.  A few years ago when Nolf and Nickal were emerging they beat top-ranked guys when nobody thought they had a real chance.  I remember seeing Nickal beat Realbuto at the Scuffle and being shocked.  Every young guy has that match or two that shows what they can do.  Hidlay is a stud, he's never faced Nolf and nobody knows for sure what will happen.

I should mention that I was nervous about Retherford/Mayes and Nolf/Lavallee last year too.

Nolf is the real deal, always has been my pick as best at Penn State. Kid is a f'ing machine.

Mine too. I never thought he would lose last year or this year, pre injury. He is proving how funamentally sound a wrestlet he is when it is needed due to knee not being 100 percent.