Sign in to follow this  
Greatdane67

Ok State lightweight logjam?

Brock, Picc and Fix? None of them look big enough for 141.

It appeared Smith left Picc's corner in disgust with time still on the clock as Lizak was teching Picc in their blood round match.

Would he have done this if he did not have Fix waiting in the wings?

What will they do here next season?

Nobody is willing to let go of the leg in a scramble like a OkState lightweight.  I can't count how many times Brock and Picc gave away TDs off their own deep shots because they let go of the leg to turn in and grab the body in a scramble.  Combined with their lightweight weaknesses on bottom I'd say a coaching change is in order for their lightweights.  Tons of talent and awful performance in those weights this year.  

Coach Smith seems like a big "plan-ahead and stick with it" type of person so he probably has it figured out. Hopefully it involves some of his wrestlers getting on a different nutrition and workout plan in the offseason so they can move up a weight and alleviate the logjam. People say John Smith tends to favor hard weight cutting from his guys so maybe a little bit of relief from such strict weight management will pay off for OSU in the postseason.

Nobody is willing to let go of the leg in a scramble like a OkState lightweight.  I can't count how many times Brock and Picc gave away TDs off their own deep shots because they let go of the leg to turn in and grab the body in a scramble.  Combined with their lightweight weaknesses on bottom I'd say a coaching change is in order for their lightweights.  Tons of talent and awful performance in those weights this year.

Who is the lightweight coach? I think what they need is a coach for those guys now that Guerrero is gone. Espo is the lightest assistant now. There are 3 guys on staff who wrestled 165. It doesn't seem like good coverage.

Coach Smith seems like a big "plan-ahead and stick with it" type of person so he probably has it figured out. Hopefully it involves some of his wrestlers getting on a different nutrition and workout plan in the offseason so they can move up a weight and alleviate the logjam. People say John Smith tends to favor hard weight cutting from his guys so maybe a little bit of relief from such strict weight management will pay off for OSU in the postseason.

It does seem like guys have to hang on at a lower weight for a year. Still, nearly all of his recent champs have gone up a weight while at OSU. Some have had success at the lower weight too, but most look better when allowed to move up.

Who is the lightweight coach? I think what they need is a coach for those guys now that Guerrero is gone. Espo is the lightest assistant now. There are 3 guys on staff who wrestled 165. It doesn't seem like good coverage.

I think that's part of it.  When I felt like criticizing the lightweight coaching I didn't even know who to criticize.  But they came into the year with the returning 4th/5th/1st place guys at 125/133/141, and they exit the season with DNP/5th or 6th/DNP.  That is a colossal fail that accounts for almost all of their collapse.  From 149 up they were pretty good this year.  Lewallen, Smith, and White had great years, Rogers was fine, Moore was bad but ended ok, and Weigel was hurt.  the top 7 weight classes were strong compared to expectations and talent, but 125-141 they laid an egg.