CoachWrestling

What happened to Oklahoma State?

I'm going with Smith's old school cutting tons of weight isn't playing as well in college wrestling as it once did.

They basically tanked at 2 weights (125 and 141) and were hurt in a third weight (197).  Weight cutting had nothing to do with any of those.  Nor was weight cutting a factor for the guys who did well (149, 165, 174, 285).  This team didn't have any big weight cutters.  The culprit is elsewhere.  

I think a big factor is not having a lightweight assistant since they entered the season with returning 4th/5th/1st and ended with DNP/5th/DNP in the lightweights.  And those 3 had huge problems on bottom and none could deal with funk at all.  Maybe one of the many middle weight assistants (Perry, Jordan, Esposito, Caldwell, and Dieringer in the club) could be swapped for a lightweight.

Edited by boconnell

Is John Smith looking like Bucky Maughan these days? Staying a few years too long rather then retiring so younger blood can take over the program?

Watching Oklahoma State suffer this way is sad. John Smith is the greatest wrestler the US has ever produced and has been an excellent coach. The program appears as if it is in a steady decline.

Can they get better next year? And will "next year" become another exercise in frustration as the last few "next years" have been at OSU?

Maybe it is time to get serious about a coaching change?

Ultimate respect for John Smith but he cannot do it all.

Missing:

Eric Guerrero- Head Coach Oklahoma RTC; 2004 Olympian, World Cup Champion, 4X US Open Champion, 5X World/Olympic Team member, Personal coach of 2012 Olympic Bronze medalist Coleman Scott and World Bronze Medalist Daniel Cormier

Is John Smith looking like Bucky Maughan these days? Staying a few years too long rather then retiring so younger blood can take over the program?

Watching Oklahoma State suffer this way is sad. John Smith is the greatest wrestler the US has ever produced and has been an excellent coach. The program appears as if it is in a steady decline.

Can they get better next year? And will "next year" become another exercise in frustration as the last few "next years" have been at OSU?

Maybe it is time to get serious about a coaching change?

Before this season they were 2nd and 3rd.  Prior to this one, the only frustration of the last few years is they aren't PSU.  Don't try to imagine a trend out of a bad year.

But if next year goes poorly you will have your trend and things will get serious about a coaching change.

Ultimate respect for John Smith but he cannot do it all.

Missing:

Eric Guerrero- Head Coach Oklahoma RTC; 2004 Olympian, World Cup Champion, 4X US Open Champion, 5X World/Olympic Team member, Personal coach of 2012 Olympic Bronze medalist Coleman Scott and World Bronze Medalist Daniel Cormier

Agree..Esposito was just in right place at right time to be head assistant ..He dosent seem to be helping them!

One thing I never really saw an answer to was why one of their 149 lbers didn't move up to 157. Was Geo Martinez really not a better option than Blaylock?

Regardless, I don't think their performance this year is a trend either. One poor season is not a downward slide.

One thing I never really saw an answer to was why one of their 149 lbers didn't move up to 157. Was Geo Martinez really not a better option than Blaylock?

Regardless, I don't think their performance this year is a trend either. One poor season is not a downward slide.

Geo was hurt.  I think Blaylock was too.  In the end they used Moran who was very good as a 141 backup last year, ok at 149 this year, and then not good at 157 at Big 12s.

I've heard that Guerrero hasn't been missed since he left. I've also heard that OSU is quite the party school and it includes the wrestlers and that doesn't cut it in this age.

If anyone can figure it out, it's Smith. The question is if he has the energy/drive to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

In fairness, this was known to be a rebuilding year for them. The only guy they graduate (on the entire roster) is Heil, and they have Fix, Gfeller, and Joe Smith coming off redshirt. Is it possible that Wittlake wrestles as a true freshman?

I don't think they're going to challenge for a national title next year (I don't think anybody will other than the team with the tall bald guy, and I suspect it may be out of reach for anybody else for the next half-decade), but the Cowboys should be much improved.

I've heard that Guerrero hasn't been missed since he left. I've also heard that OSU is quite the party school and it includes the wrestlers and that doesn't cut it in this age.

If anyone can figure it out, it's Smith. The question is if he has the energy/drive to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Who'd you hear that from?

The only guys with partying issues were promptly seen out of the program.  One is AAing for other schools.  Smith publicly went hard after Moore earlier in the year before it cleaned up.  There is no party culture with the OSU wrestlers.  Unless you can point to an actual example or tell who is saying it from the inside, you're just slandering a program.