Sign in to follow this  
nom

Conel - Kent State

Another amazing freaking story.  Beats the 1 seed 2x!!! Once by pin!!  Amazing run.  

Pigtail

beats 9 seed 5-0

Beats the 8 seed 8-2

Beats the 1 seed by pin!

Wins by pin in the consi semi

Takes third with a victory over 1 seed.

Quits the sport last year.  Comes back and does this.  

New fan here.  Has a lot of new fans I'm sure.  Congrats to this young man!!

I love this, too. The kid is nowhere to be found in the rankings and goes out and has a weekend like this? Who does he have to workout with in the room? Congratulations to Kyle for this achievement.

Congrats to Jim Andrassy and company. 197 has proven to be a nice weight for Golden Flash.

https://kentstatesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=10124

like how Gibbons worked it in that Conel is only 2nd unseeded guy to beat the #1 seed twice at same NCAAs. "...1st was Gary McCall, coached by me"

(not a knock, I'd brag a little every once in a while too if I was him)

like how Gibbons worked it in that Conel is only 2nd unseeded guy to beat the #1 seed twice at same NCAAs. "...1st was Gary McCall, coached by me"

Haha! I once met Gibbons and his brother at B10s. His statement here fits right in line with my experience in meeting him.

I don't think this is true. Just off the top of my head (and I am sure people can come up with more), Van Doren from Lehigh beat Mark Smith twice in the same NCAAs in 1997 or so.

I don't think this is true. Just off the top of my head (and I am sure people can come up with more), Van Doren from Lehigh beat Mark Smith twice in the same NCAAs in 1997 or so.

right you are. Gibbons missed that one (if not others as well)

A few years ago my son ask me if I could drive a couple of his teammates to the St. Louis Championship. One was Conel. I think he was a freshman. Spent 4 nights with us in our room, drove him back and never I saw him again.  I did get some updates on him. Then in Cleveland at the Kent social Friday I saw him sitting at a table with other wrestlers. When he finds out who I was he jumps out of the seat and bear hugs me like the Chris Taylor photo. 

I love this, too. The kid is nowhere to be found in the rankings and goes out and has a weekend like this? Who does he have to workout with in the room? Congratulations to Kyle for this achievement.

Congrats to Jim Andrassy and company. 197 has proven to be a nice weight for Golden Flash.

https://kentstatesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=10124

It says in his bio he was a 4x Howland Invitational Champ. Is that a tough tournament in Ohio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howland Invitational is a small tournament near Warren Ohio. Conel was coached in high school by Kevin Welch, an All-American from Edinboro. I did see him at his high school's sectional tournament last year supporting Ashtabula Lakeside wrestlers. Kyle has always been good at upper body locks.