Sign in to follow this  
Pennsy Kraken

Nickal came off as a world class tool

Here is an excerpt from Nickal's more formal interview after the match and after he cooled down a bit.  It provides some context, especially for those who didn't appreciate his excited words:

Q.You're pretty composed all the time. But right there up to the match and that interview you kind of were pretty demonstrative for lack of a better term. Can you kind of describe the emotions? Do you remember what you were saying right there or did the excitement get the best of you?BO NICKAL: I was definitely super excited. It's a crazy moment. So the interview is straight after. You don't have time to cool down or anything. Still everything I said is true: You go to Penn State to win titles as an individual and as a team. That's what we do. And that's what we trained for. And we have the best coaches in the country, best facilities, best fans. And best wrestling, easily.

Q.All week you guys have been the quiet, stoic, business-like team. How does it feel to kind of let your hair down, so to speak, now that you guys have kind of accomplished a mission?BO NICKAL: I think, you know, we're business-like to a point, maybe more so in front of the cameras and stuff like that. But we have a lot of personalities on the team, a lot of guys. We're all having fun, joking around, enjoying the moment, really.I think the people on the outside see just a little bit of it. So they see the business and getting out there on the mat and doing our job type of thing, but they don't really see the ins and outs. So as far as like us being business-like, that's how we treat our matches. And we're going to go out there and be efficient and score points and make the most of the opportunities.But at the same time we're having fun. I enjoy just hanging out with my team in tournaments and just kicking back, relaxing. That's almost better than the actual wrestling, just being able to to be in a relationship with my teammates.And I just really feel like it's a huge blessing from God to be around the guys I am, and I'm lucky to be on the team I am.

I can see why folks would say that Nickal's remarks were a little over the top, but I think he was just so fully of adrenaline and crazy emotion, having won by sudden pin and clinched the championship for his team.   He seemed possessed and is usually much more low key.  Got to give him the pass.  He said nothing bad about anyone.

I don't see why everyone is upset.  All week, all the Penn State guys hear is how great Ohio State is...how they're coming for them.  Heck Ohio State's wrestlers did a brief soundbite segment on that.  This was Nickal's answer.

I don't see why everyone is upset.  All week, all the Penn State guys hear is how great Ohio State is...how they're coming for them.  Heck Ohio State's wrestlers did a brief soundbite segment on that.  This was Nickal's answer.

So true.

Kyle Snyder said he hates Penn State. He actually said that before the dual meet. Said also that he was bringing hell with him. People forget that he actually said these things on his twitter or Instagram or something. Guesing Bo Nickal got tired of the ESPIN love affair this week and decided to fire one back. That's what makes sports fun. 

Not a fan of PSU but I don’t see a problem with what he said. I also don’t think it was directed at all at Suriano. It’s not like Suriano expected Rutgers to win the team title.

"When you come to Penn state you win big matches.  that's what we do"

The PSU guys HATED Suriano

"When you come to Penn state you win big matches. that's what we do"

The PSU guys HATED Suriano

This is a ridiculous statement. Exactly how much time have you spent in the PSU locker room? Again, I have no problem with what Nickal said I just don’t think it was directed at Suriano, moreso tOSU, since, you know, his was a big match against the team they were fighting for the title against.

This is a ridiculous statement. Exactly how much time have you spent in the PSU locker room? Again, I have no problem with what Nickal said I just don’t think it was directed at Suriano, moreso tOSU, since, you know, his was a big match against the team they were fighting for the title against.

false