Sign in to follow this  
Pennsy Kraken

Nickal came off as a world class tool

.... i'll bet he was just so fired up winning the team title, not so much the individual title, that he was off the charts with adrenaline/excitement... he even downplayed the modified cement job "been doing that since i was 6 ......" that led to the fall ..... the intensity level of this sport is like no other in athletics ........ 

This is a ridiculous statement. Exactly how much time have you spent in the PSU locker room? Again, I have no problem with what Nickal said I just don’t think it was directed at Suriano, moreso tOSU, since, you know, his was a big match against the team they were fighting for the title against.

Yep.  I heard it as a direct shot at tOSU, not as subtext towards Suriano.  During the finals we heard David Taylor say that tOSU made themselves the favorites by how they talked, so PSU got to have no pressure.  I never saw it that way, but that was obviously the narrative PSU was using for motivation in the room.  So I don't think you need to read tea leaves to figure out who Nickal was talking about.  He was declaring PSU the best.

And right after his team mate got his ass kicked too. How do you think Hall felt hearing that?

I'm sure the NCAA and two time world champ would probably agree with the statement about PSU guys winning big matches. Just a guess.

Yep.  I heard it as a direct shot at tOSU, not as subtext towards Suriano.  During the finals we heard David Taylor say that tOSU made themselves the favorites by how they talked, so PSU got to have no pressure.  I never saw it that way, but that was obviously the narrative PSU was using for motivation in the room.  So I don't think you need to read tea leaves to figure out who Nickal was talking about.  He was declaring PSU the best.

I'm sure Logan Stieber and Kyle , the two OSU world champions, were amused. PSU is the best, no doubting that.  But OSU trains for world titles too. 

Tom Ryan passive aggressively took shots at PSU's program when he gave the interview discussing what makes a great program. Not really much of a narrative there.

He said something along the lines of "even if you have a team with 5 national champions, that doesnt make you a great program"

I don't think that was a shot though. Didn't he also talk about what did make PSU a great program. The character of their guys, the way they go about their business, etc? (Or maybe I'm blending different interviews together). But my take is what he's saying is that it's not the five champs that makes them a great program, it's all the other things. And not taking a shot at them at all.

I have no problem with what Bo said and I do think it was directed at tOSU.

But that is the difference between the two programs. State College might as well be in Siberia with the lack of access Carl allows meanwhile Ryan seems like he gives complete access and hashtags and dumb sayings and dark places.

I just have a hard time believing no D1 program has what it takes to derail PSU because tOSU is out of serious contention for a year or two now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don't think that was a shot though. Didn't he also talk about what did make PSU a great program. The character of their guys, the way they go about their business, etc? (Or maybe I'm blending different interviews together). But my take is what he's saying is that it's not the five champs that makes them a great program, it's all the other things. And not taking a shot at them at all.

Not sure what exact interview you saw. But like I said, it felt passive aggressive.

I don't see how his interview was taking shots at penn state?

Ryan's interview after session 5 he basically implied Ohio State was up against things because Cael brought in all these studs who were great before they got to PSU. I thought he sounded like any random poster from Hawkeye Report who actually believes that silly nonsense. 

Penn State has won 16 consecutive semi finals matches. That doesn't happen without good coaching and an awesome environment from the top guy on down. I took Ryan's comments as him being defensive like everything was just being handed to Cael. 

Ryan's interview after session 5 he basically implied Ohio State was up against things because Cael brought in all these studs who were great before they got to PSU. I thought he sounded like any random poster from Hawkeye Report who actually believes that silly nonsense. 

Penn State has won 16 consecutive semi finals matches. That doesn't happen without good coaching and an awesome environment from the top guy on down. I took Ryan's comments as him being defensive like everything was just being handed to Cael.

Yes, this.

It's not like Nato, Synder, the Jordan's, MyMar, McKenna, etc werent also superstar studs prior to coming to tOSU.

Yeah sorry I gotta disagree. He mentioned the recruitment and these guys were studs coming in but he also mentioned their development and having them ready for those big matches. Sorry guys I just dont see any shots being taken at them anywhere by Ryan. Different perspectives I guess.

Edited by Lurker

Yeah sorry I gotta disagree. He mentioned the recruitment and these guys were studs coming in but he also mentioned they're development and having them ready for those big matches. Sorry guys I just dont see any shots being taken at them anywhere by Ryan. Different perspectives I guess.

Switch the order in what you just said. He said it was a testament to coaching and development first and then wrapped it up with the recruiting aspect. The final statement always holds the strongest point being made.

The order in whhich you put it would sound more complimentary. The other way comes off as a backhanded compliment.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Really?!

I didn't write it in order of what was said, I wrote the recruiting part first because that's what you guys were emphasizing, and in doing so you decided to leave out the part where he talked about their development and having them ready for those big matches. So I wanted to be sure it was noted.

Like I said different perspectives I guess. Not going to nitpick about which order the two comments were made. To me it's no big deal. As I said, I see nothing there at all that is remotely taking shots at PSU. Nada.

Really?!

I didn't write it in order of what was said, I wrote the recruiting part first because that's what you guys were emphasizing, and in doing so you decided to leave out the part where he talked about their development and having them ready for those big matches. So I wanted to be sure it was noted.

Like I said different perspectives I guess. Not going to nitpick about which order the two comments were made. To me it's no big deal. As I said, I see nothing there at all that is remotely taking shots at PSU. Nada.

Yes different perspectives. I'm just trying to explain my pov.

1. Desanto is a super nice kid, but he acted like a jerk at the end of the Miccic match.

2. Desanto acted like a jerk at the end of the Miccic match, but he is a super nice kid.

Is your takeaway from these two statements the same?

For me in statement 1 the main takeaway is that Desanto was being a jerk.

The main takeaway from statement 2 is that Desanto is a nice kid.

See the difference?