Sign in to follow this  
Pennsy Kraken

Nickal came off as a world class tool

Nickal reminded me of one of the tools from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and was overly amped up. He will look back and laugh at his interview (someday).

He probably already is.

The funniest part for me was when his voice squeeked/cracked.

Made me think of this scene from I Love you Man.

https://youtu.be/ig7jx4XmdfY

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Really?!

I didn't write it in order of what was said, I wrote the recruiting part first because that's what you guys were emphasizing, and in doing so you decided to leave out the part where he talked about their development and having them ready for those big matches. So I wanted to be sure it was noted.

Like I said different perspectives I guess. Not going to nitpick about which order the two comments were made. To me it's no big deal. As I said, I see nothing there at all that is remotely taking shots at PSU. Nada.

To me Ryan was repeating a narrative started by Hawkeye Report posters, so even if he wasn't overtly trying to push that false narrative, he came off to me as feeding into it. Look at that silly thread that jammen bumped today asking whether he, jammen, could coach PSU to a title. That is the same narrative. When you consider that recruiting is in and of itself a little bit of salesmanship, Ryan's comments sounded like salesmanship. Add that to all of what Kyle Snyder said before the PSU dual, and I like Snyder, but he put that stuff out there like he was throwing down the proverbial us against them, Thee Ohio State vs. Penn State gauntlet. Nickal's comments make a lot more sense when you think of everything that preceded them.

Yes different perspectives. I'm just trying to explain my pov.

1. Desanto is a super nice kid, but he acted like a jerk at the end of the Miccic match.

2. Desanto acted like a jerk at the end of the Miccic match, but he is a super nice kid.

Is your takeaway from these two statements the same?

For me in statement 1 the main takeaway is that Desanto was being a jerk.

The main takeaway from statement 2 is that Desanto is a nice kid.

See the difference?

Yes my takeaway is the same in both statements: he's a super nice kid who did something stupid. The order doesn't matter to me I guess.

And in my opinion, Ryan didn't take any shots against anyone. I didn't see or get the feeling of anything passive aggressive, backhanded, or anything like that. Just my take on it. No matter what order it was in, both comments were truth, and he praised for the recruiting, development, and preparation. Sounds good to me.

Yes my takeaway is the same in both statements: he's a super nice kid who did something stupid. The order doesn't matter to me I guess.

And in my opinion, Ryan didn't take any shots against anyone. I didn't see or get the feeling of anything passive aggressive, backhanded, or anything like that. Just my take on it. No matter what order it was in, both comments were truth, and he praised for the recruiting, development, and preparation. Sounds good to me.

Fair enough. Agree to disagree.

Sansa Stark: They respect you, they really do, but you have to... Why are you laughing?

Jon Snow: What did father use to say? Everything before the word "but" is horse ****.

From Game of Thrones – Season 7 Episode 1: ‘Dragonstone’ (7×01)

Edited by BigTenFanboy

To me Ryan was repeating a narrative started by Hawkeye Report posters, so even if he wasn't overtly trying to push that false narrative, he came off to me as feeding into it. Look at that silly thread that jammen bumped today asking whether he, jammen, could coach PSU to a title. That is the same narrative. When you consider that recruiting is in and of itself a little bit of salesmanship, Ryan's comments sounded like salesmanship. Add that to all of what Kyle Snyder said before the PSU dual, and I like Snyder, but he put that stuff out there like he was throwing down the proverbial us against them, Thee Ohio State vs. Penn State gauntlet. Nickal's comments make a lot more sense when you think of everything that preceded them.

Agreed with the us against them hammer, and that's okay with me....that's what it is. Also agree with Snyder putting it out there before the dual. He certainly did. But I don't see any problem with it. Nothing wrong with a rallying cry.

I guess, I just don't see where there were any slight or backhanded anything toward anyone. The narrative was OSU vs PSU and everyone else is a couple steps behind. That's been the case all season, especially when Suriano left PSU and McKenna went to tOSU. I think both teams were completely classy and respectful toward each other all the way through. Had no issue whatsoever with Snyder's, Ryan's, or Bo's comments, before during or after. I may be in the minority on this and I'm okay with that.

Just for clarity, do you disagree that he praised the recruiting, development, and preparation of the PSU staff...or do you just disagree with my overall perspective of it. Like I said just asking for clarity sake, not trying to keep scratching the same itch.

Edited by Lurker

Just for clarity, do you disagree that he praised the recruiting, development, and preparation of the PSU staff...or do you just disagree with my overall perspective of it. Like I said just asking for clarity sake, not trying to keep scratching the same itch.

I think anything said before a but is trying to sugarcoat and hide the real intent of what you're trying to say. So to answer more directly, no I don't think it was genuine praise.

Ryan's interview after session 5 he basically implied Ohio State was up against things because Cael brought in all these studs who were great before they got to PSU. I thought he sounded like any random poster from Hawkeye Report who actually believes that silly nonsense. 

Penn State has won 16 consecutive semi finals matches. That doesn't happen without good coaching and an awesome environment from the top guy on down. I took Ryan's comments as him being defensive like everything was just being handed to Cael. 

Agree. It sounds even more foolish when you look at Ryan "knowing" he had to transfer in a Mckenna type talent to have a shot in Cleveland. Hypocritical also in the aspect....Steiber x2...Jordan's x2 ....MMartin...Snyder...Tomasello....what is Ryan  seriously implying he "developed" these average recruits? Jordan's UNDER achieved under Ryan with the hype they had coming in actually. It's amazing PSU won this thing with 2 HUGE holes in the lineup compared to TOSU. Also Martin HAS beaten Nickel before .....Joseph was clearly no lock to repeat ..and Nolf was coming off an injury losing the last month or so of the season. Throw in its decided in TOSU'S backyard. Give me Cael and his system all day long over Ryan's. 

.... i'll bet he was just so fired up winning the team title, not so much the individual title, that he was off the charts with adrenaline/excitement... he even downplayed the modified cement job "been doing that since i was 6 ......" that led to the fall ..... the intensity level of this sport is like no other in athletics ........ 

I reckon a lot of Bo's intensity came from the fact that he still had two periods of National finals wrestling bottled up inside.

Agree. It sounds even more foolish when you look at Ryan "knowing" he had to transfer in a Mckenna type talent to have a shot in Cleveland. Hypocritical also in the aspect....Steiber x2...Jordan's x2 ....MMartin...Snyder...Tomasello....what is Ryan  seriously implying he "developed" these average recruits? Jordan's UNDER achieved under Ryan with the hype they had coming in actually. It's amazing PSU won this thing with 2 HUGE holes in the lineup compared to TOSU. Also Martin HAS beaten Nickel before .....Joseph was clearly no lock to repeat ..and Nolf was coming off an injury losing the last month or so of the season. Throw in its decided in TOSU'S backyard. Give me Cael and his system all day long over Ryan's. 

Bo Jordan's priorities changed when he had the kids and he has had some really major health issues. I don't see how Cael would have done any different.  He didn't do a real great job with Gulibon, who was as highly rated, had no kids, no chemo therapy and never was a finalist nor a 4 time all american. The Alton brothers didn't exactly set the world on fire. 

And no recruit that Cael has coached has reached the heights of Snyder.  

Bo Jordan's priorities changed when he had the kids and he has had some really major health issues. I don't see how Cael would have done any different.  He didn't do a real great job with Gulibon, who was as highly rated, had no kids, no chemo therapy and never was a finalist nor a 4 time all american. The Alton brothers didn't exactly set the world on fire. 

The Alton's both suffered shoulder injuries and were never the same afterwards.

The Alton's both suffered shoulder injuries and were never the same afterwards.

My point was Bo Jordan not winning a title was down to an injury that took multiple surgeries and now requires a form of chemo. Cael has had similar unfortunate things happen to highly rated recruits. 

Agree. It sounds even more foolish when you look at Ryan "knowing" he had to transfer in a Mckenna type talent to have a shot in Cleveland. Hypocritical also in the aspect....Steiber x2...Jordan's x2 ....MMartin...Snyder...Tomasello....what is Ryan seriously implying he "developed" these average recruits? Jordan's UNDER achieved under Ryan with the hype they had coming in actually. It's amazing PSU won this thing with 2 HUGE holes in the lineup compared to TOSU. Also Martin HAS beaten Nickel before .....Joseph was clearly no lock to repeat ..and Nolf was coming off an injury losing the last month or so of the season. Throw in its decided in TOSU'S backyard. Give me Cael and his system all day long over Ryan's.

Add in two more things.

1. Tom Ryan was one of only a few coaches on seeding committee. Cael had zero say in seeding.

2. Ohio state was the recipient of 4 pts from injury defaults to 0 for Penn State.

They had every edge in the book going for them and Cael's team overcame all of it.

Bo Jordan's priorities changed when he had the kids and he has had some really major health issues. I don't see how Cael would have done any different. He didn't do a real great job with Gulibon, who was as highly rated, had no kids, no chemo therapy and never was a finalist nor a 4 time all american. The Alton brothers didn't exactly set the world on fire.

Varner

If Nickal's tournament winning fall and subsequent emotion didn't get you excited, then you aren't much of a sports fan. That or you are just blinded by haterade.

I agree. I saw nothing wrong with his speech... the kid was pumped up and just won it for his team! I recall all the emotions and thoughts running through my head after a big match and would hate to have a mic shoved in front of me a minute after the match. He showed some genuine emotion and it was a cool moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I saw Hall come out of the tunnel to find Bo and hug him so I'm guessing he was happy for his teammate.  Because for some guys it isn't all about them.

Careful Billy boy.  You keep pushing this false narrative this hard and you're gonna pull a measure in your right forearm - and then you'll really be all alone.   

Give it a break, people looking for stuff.

This is just it right here. World is filled with people these days just looking for something they can deem offensive, or they feel will give them a reason to gripe. Many on this board. It's sad...

Loved his interview. Loved the passion. I even loved the veiled shot at other programs which he just earned the right to make. Not a fan of tossing headgear though. if we teach kids they shouldn't do it when they lose, they definitely shouldn't see the superstars of college wrestling doing it when they celebrate. Just my two cents as someone who works with the kids.