Sign in to follow this  
Heisenberg

College Wrestlers in Freestyle

Well, maybe Zahid. With the new 79 kg weight class, does he make a run at Kyle Dake?

That will be his weight class until he bulks up to 184 lbs. Then, he can transition better to 189 lbs. for the Olympics in 2020. Probably more of a lock for 2024 but these young kids can handle world class athletes and that stage right now.

Besides Snyder you had four other champs who have won cadet/junior world gold. Two other finalists who have won medals. And that's just the finalists. There were other medalists in the field, including a reigning U23 gold.

The future is bright. And I think we owe a lot of that to coach Slay.

Besides Snyder you had four other champs who have won cadet/junior world gold. Two other finalists who have won medals. And that's just the finalists. There were other medalists in the field, including a reigning U23 gold.

For those of us not in the know, what has Slay done? Most of these guys weren’t training out of the OTC under him. Was he the guy encouraging them to compete internationally and win cadet/junior medals?

Could you name those you're referring too for those that don't follow cadet/juniors?

Could you name those you're referring too for those that don't follow cadet/juniors?

125: Lee is a 2x junior world champ

133: Micic junior world bronze

141: Yianni was a cadet world champ and probably would have won another if not for coming off injury

149: Retherford was the senior world team rep

149: Deakin was a junior world silver medalist last year

165: Martinez was 5th at 74kg at U-23 worlds

165: Richie Lewis was the 70kg champ at u-23 worlds

174: Hall is a 2x junior world champ

174: Valencia junior world silver

197: Moore junior world bronze

285: Coon was a cadet world champ and a double junior world bronze in free and Greco

285: Dhesi was also a junior world medalist for Canada

There may be others that I’m blanking on but I think this is it.

Edit:

Junior world champ Daton Fix redshirted this year so he will be 125/133

Edited by tec87

141: Yianni was a cadet world champ and probably would have won another if not for coming off injury

285: Coon was a cadet world champ and a double junior world bronze in free and Greco

Edit:

I kind of look for consistency: Lee. Hall. Valencia. Retherford.  They have consistently shown over and over. Fix is also probably in this category but his U23 performance is head scratching. Yanni is in the conversation but his style doesn't really translate. Funk style wrestlers from the US don't have a good history outside of Abas. I left out Coon because I don't think his future is wrestling. He has bigger goals and aspirations.

Dhesi was a junior world champion.

Yeah if I remember correctly Dhesi actually beat Coon i think in the Semis at junior worlds and then Dhesi got throttled in the finals but the Champ got popped for PEDS. Didn’t remember that they actually bumped Dhesi to gold. Nice.

Up until him taking the job at the Penn RTC, Slay was in charge of our age group developmental program with USA wrestling. Many of those guys did train at the OTC, not full time like Snyder before he went to Ohio state, but they spent plenty of time in camps both for their own cadet/junior competitions, but also invitations for senior level camps. Slay has implemented a number of systems, in philosophy, in structure, and in technique development that have paid wonders. I think the proof is in the pudding with the rising level of our success on the world stage in the age group competitions, and also is shown with the number of freshmen/younger athletes that have won NCAA titles recently.

Edit:

Retherford has a cadet world gold as well, and I believe McKenna and McKee both have junior world bronze if I remember right. Edited by Lurker

Best prospects

57- Lee, Fix

61- Micic (Gross/Brock too big)

65- Yianni, Zain

70- Nolf

74- ton of good, not great prospects

79- Zahid, Hall

86- Bo, Martin

92- Moore

97- Warner

125- Coon (Steveson next year)

Edited by LemonPie

I kind of look for consistency: Lee. Hall. Valencia. Retherford. They have consistently shown over and over. Fix is also probably in this category but his U23 performance is head scratching. Yanni is in the conversation but his style doesn't really translate. Funk style wrestlers from the US don't have a good history outside of Abas. I left out Coon because I don't think his future is wrestling. He has bigger goals and aspirations.

Yianni can wrestle the funk series, but it's certainly not his bread and butter technique.

He's very technical in nuetral with varied attacks.

I would say Eierman relies on his funk series too much. Although he could beat just about anyone if he's hot.

65 kg should be very interesting in 2020.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by cjc007

What does this mean?  NFL or walk on Mars?

Coon says he wants to become an Astronaut.

Reality is that space flight is severely weight limited. He is probably too heavy and too big both for space flight. Would have to come up with much larger flight gear for him. Possibly re-size or redesign some of the seats, bedding or equipment for a man his size.

A nice goal to become an Astronaut but I would be very surprised if it happens.

Coon says he wants to become an Astronaut.

Reality is that space flight is severely weight limited. He is probably too heavy and too big both for space flight. Would have to come up with much larger flight gear for him. Possibly re-size or redesign some of the seats, bedding or equipment for a man his size.

A nice goal to become an Astronaut but I would be very surprised if it happens.

The tallest astronaut was 6'4" and the heaviest at launch was 89.3kg

Zahid vs Bo. Who wins that? Rumor is Bo is going 174 at WTT. So there you now have Bo, Zahid, Dake and Ringer!!! Dake easily? Hall is at 163.

Zahid has beaten Bo before 11/0 and 1/0 fwiw.

Hall has said he's not cutting to 163. He's not beating Zahid or Dieringer, let alone Dake.

I'd give Cenzo a better chance at beating Dake because Cenzo goes all out while Hall wrestles too conservatively.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk