Sign in to follow this  
BigRedMachine

Yianni Diakomihalis, Amazing

Given how the finals went down, Yianni is getting lost in all the discussion. But what he accomplished with 0 triceps was simply amazing.

Congrats to a supreme competitor. Like Anthony Robles said, Yianni is an inspiration for tricepless children everywhere. So happy to get to watch him go around three more times.

Given how the finals went down, Yianni is getting lost in all the discussion. But what he accomplished with 0 triceps was simply amazing.

Congrats to a supreme competitor. Like Anthony Robles said, Yianni is an inspiration for tricepless children everywhere. So happy to get to watch him go around three more times.

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Btw, loved Yanni D. effort tonite. Congrats to the young man. 

Imitation could be dangerous- young wrestlers trying to emulate Yianni may refuse to do push-ups, bench presses and other tricep building exercises unless a triceped champion emerges and stops Yianni from winning 3 more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imitation could be dangerous- young wrestlers trying to emulate Yianni may refuse to do push-ups, bench presses and other tricep building exercises unless a triceped champion emerges and stops Yianni from winning 3 more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he went to Thee Ohio State I guarantee you he'd have huge triceps. Remember, genetic potential. 

Cornell brought JO to Ithaca a couple months ago.  Based on comments on their respective Twitter feeds (as well as Gabe Dea, et al), it sounds like Yianni and JO go at it pretty hard every day.  I have to believe this is helping Yianni develop even faster that he otherwise would have....Wise move by Cornell, IMO.   I assume JO is also getting in a lot of time with Dake --- very much a nice win/win situation for Cornell and JO.

Props.

I do think a match with McKenna, style wise, might be tough. I’d pick Yianni, but McKenna is never out of position. Guys like Bryce and Eierman are constantly out of position because they win most scrambles. They are essentially baiting their opponents.

I’d love to see that matchup

There’s very little to pick on with regard to Yianni’s style, but if I had to pick one thing, it’s match strategy. He is going to win the vast majority of scrambles and contact situations against the field, and even if “just” the majority against the top guys, still the majority. He’s a lot like Bo Nickal in that regard (but totally different style). His ability to come back and score when he needed to against elite competition in the third when his opponents were just looking to block him off is testament to this.

Guys like that should look to initiate action more often than not. Maybe it was a confidence thing and after getting his first title and one more year of physical maturity (which, given he is still only 18, should be very significant next year), he emerges as a killer next year.

If he does that, he will beat McKenna by three or more TDs. McKenna is not nearly as good in uncomfortable scramble situations and in my opinion not as good on the attack. I don’t see how he beats Yianni.

Edited by wrestlingnerd