Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Penn State's Bo Nickal Wins OW of NCAA Championship

Try and look at this objectively, even though most of you can't.  One wrestler has a tech, tech pin, pin, dec.  The other has a dec, dec, dec, major, pin.  Each of them pinned an NCAA champ.  I'm pretty sure the team race does not count in the OW category, but someone please tell me if I'm wrong.  I think this is pretty cut and dry.  

I'm not an Iowa fan, but Lee was much more impressive throughout the tournament. Joe called Suriano a nobody, he wouldn't have said that if Suriano stated at penn state, that was a butthurt comment.

You know what I would have said?  Tell me what I will say my next post.  Trick.

Well, apparently somebody does that to NATO...as well as him getting pinned on multiple occasions.

I can think of 2. Gilman did in OT. Your argument is that NATO isn't that good? Champ, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd. Semis every year and 4x big ten champ.

Ok man. Bottom line, it wasn't even close between Lee and Nato this time. Jordan will never even sniff beating Nolf or being a National champ. Nato on the otherhand is a 4x AA that went 1,3,3,3 and Lee a true freshman totally controlled him. Is that better? It wasn't even close. Look I'm a huge fan of Cael and the PSU guys. Nickal is one of my favorite guys to watch and root for, but you seriously need to come up with better arguments than the ones you've given.

What are you talking about?  You stated that Lee was robbed.  Obviously, many disagree.  I challenged your beat down comment, and now we are getting into semantics.  Okay man?  

What are you talking about? You stated that Lee was robbed. Obviously, many disagree. I challenged your beat down comment, and now we are getting into semantics. Okay man?

When the heck did I say that Lee was robbed???

I'm totally fine with Nickal getting the OW. He wouldn't have been my first choice but I see no major problem with that.

As for Nato? That was a pretty solid beat down. You can disagree, but he was getting dominated by Lee. And juust so you know, ive been pretty critical of Iowa over the past few years.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I can think of 2. Gilman did in OT. Your argument is that NATO isn't that good? Champ, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd. Semis every year and 4x big ten champ.

I never stated that NATO isn't that good.  If I did, please show me.  

What are you talking about?  You stated that Lee was robbed.  Obviously, many disagree.  I challenged your beat down comment, and now we are getting into semantics.  Okay man?

Your saying NATO didn't get beat down, and anyone who knows or watches college wrestling wouldn't try to make that argument. Lee controlled the match and it led to a pin, and NATO doesn't get controlled like that ever.

I never stated that NATO isn't that good.  If I did, please show me.

No but you said he gets pinned on multiple occasions although the only other time was in OT and used Micah Jordan as a comparison point. You may not have said he wasn't that good, but it seems like you refuse to acknowledge Natos talent, and what a big deal it was for Lee to defeat him in the way that he did.

Your saying NATO didn't get beat down, and anyone who knows or watches college wrestling wouldn't try to make that argument. Lee controlled the match and it led to a pin, and NATO doesn't get controlled like that ever.

I know and watch college wrestling, and I made that argument.  What next sparky? 

I know and watch college wrestling, and I made that argument.  What next sparky?

we just assume that your opinion and way of thinking is nonsensical. Actually this isn't the first time I have seen you on here speaking nonsense, so I guess this just goes further to cement my feelings on that.

No but you said he gets pinned on multiple occasions although the only other time was in OT and used Micah Jordan as a comparison point. You may not have said he wasn't that good, but it seems like you refuse to acknowledge Natos talent, and what a big deal it was for Lee to defeat him in the way that he did.

It isn't a big deal if it has happened before.  Sort of like Joseph beating IMAR again.  

we just assume that your opinion and way of thinking is nonsensical. Actually this isn't the first time I have seen you on here speaking nonsense, so I guess this just goes further to cement my feelings on that.

Who is we, now?  So I don't agree with an idiot, and I am nonsensical?  

Ok, I've read the post and it seems like there are a lot of competing interests here.  As a PA guy, let me give you my perspective.  We've been watching Spencer Lee here for the last 4 years and we know how good he is.  (Yes he lost in the PA state finals last year to Desanto, but that was due to injury and bad coaching).   It was disappointing to see him go to Iowa, because he would have filled a hole in the PSU line-up commensurate for that team.   But he's got to do what he's got to do so its ok.  Of course he came in and dominated the way we expected him too, maybe even better and I'm sure he's content with his performance and also not concerned about the OW.  He'll have opportunities to get one, or more, of those.  Bo Nickal, while not a PA kid, has been great at Penn State.  And being in a position to either win or lose your team the national title is a huge pressure spot.  He answered the call with flying colors.  He was truly Outstanding.  So to the victors go the spoils, congratulations on a well deserved award. 

The undefeated wrestler may have been undefeated since he didn't wrestle some top guys, like NATO. His 5-1 over a Sophomore who didn't compete at Nationals as a Frosh is less impressive than Bo pinning an NCAA champ. Suriano will probably never be a champ.

Suriano also hadn’t allowed a point prior to that match and had a tech, pin (over a previous finalist), major, and decision (over the returing champ prior to the finals. I think OW should have went to Lee but I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.

Edited by 1032004

Spencer would have been a good pick, but Bo won by FALL to clinch a team title. Loudest roar of the night. Spencer will get his eventually. He's too good not to. 

Bo may have been the Most Valuable Wrestler. The Outstanding Wrestler was Spencer Lee.