Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Penn State's Bo Nickal Wins OW of NCAA Championship

When you factor in the team title being on the line (and yes, that should be part of the equation), Bo gets it. Myles Martin was my favorite Buckeye to watch this year. It was going to take an outstanding effort to beat him. Unforgettably awesome show for wrestling fans. 

When you factor in the team title being on the line (and yes, that should be part of the equation), Bo gets it. Myles Martin was my favorite Buckeye to watch this year. It was going to take an outstanding effort to beat him. Unforgettably awesome show for wrestling fans. 

Without Bo, Myles is an undefeated NCAA Champ in the convo for best P4P this year. It is amazing how a guy can be as good as that and still have that one guy that is so tough for him to beat. 

Last year Zain Retherford got the award and to me that one was a head scratcher as I felt it should have gone to Vincenzo Joseph. There's no firm set criteria when coaches vote for these awards. Sometimes it's given for being dominant in the entire tournament. Sometimes it's given because of one specific shining moment.

So, where does Nick Suriano go next year?  I think this year was his best shot at a title.

Does he stay at 125 with Lee and Daton Fix coming off RS?  Does he go to 133 and compete with Gross, Micic, Wilson, & Pletcher? 

He's screwed.  He may never win a title. I think that may have been the case whether or not he stayed at PSU.  But I think he'd have had a better chance at PSU.  PSU/NLWC has the best room in the country...Rutgers certainly doesn't even compare. That's just a fact.

Edited by PANewbie

I know in the PA high school State tournamnet the media/press votes for MOW, where as all other tournaments the coaches vote.

And that's probably a better way to do it. As coaches, you're not following how everyone else is doing so much, you're focused on your guys, spending time away from the mats, etc. Media has their eyes all over throughout the whole thing, up to date across the board.

All of the champions had legitimate claims to getting the OW.

125 Spencer Lee - dominant performance which included pinning a National champ

133 Seth Gross - First National champ ever for a smaller program

141 Yanni - impressive come from behind win in a loaded weight and beat the 2x defending champ

149 Zane - 3rd National Title and a 94 match win streak

157 Nolf - dominant performance hampered by an injury

165 Joseph - same as 141

174 Valencia - dominated an undefeated returning National champ

184 Nickal - pinned a National champ.. The only finalist to get a pin..

197 Machiavelli - honestly this one is the only one I can't really think of having much of a claim

285 Snyder - 3rd NCAA title at heavyweight.. giving up a lot of size... defeating someone who beat him earlier in the season...

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Without Bo, Myles is an undefeated NCAA Champ in the convo for best P4P this year. It is amazing how a guy can be as good as that and still have that one guy that is so tough for him to beat.

The same is true for a lot of weights. Nato would be undefeated if not for Lee. Meredith if not for Yianni. Hidlay if not for Nolf. IMart if not Cenzo. Hall if not Valencia. Coon if not Snyder.

All of the champions had legitimate claims to getting the OW.

125 Spencer Lee - dominant performance which included pinning a National champ

133 Seth Gross - First National champ ever for a smaller program

141 Yanni - impressive come from behind win in a loaded weight and beat the 2x defending champ

149 Zane - 3rd National Title and a 94 match win streak

157 Nolf - dominant performance hampered by an injury

165 Joseph - same as 141

174 Valencia - dominated an undefeated returning National champ

184 Nickal - pinned a National champ.. The only finalist to get a pin..

197 Machiavelli - honestly this one is the only one I can't really think of having much of a claim

285 Snyder - 3rd NCAA title at heavyweight.. giving up a lot of size... defeating someone who beat him earlier in the season...

All Good Points.

Let's find a way to dq each champion from the OW...

125 - finals opponent didn't show up with any sense of urgency,semi-final opponent left his legs open and rolled to his own back

133- didn't keep the hammer down in the final and let his opponent get a few tds at the end

141- freshman (instant discrimination), only had two majors, no triceps. marquis win over a fading former champ

149- competition not as rough as most of the others, had two decisions to end the tournament over newbies

157- finals opponent had no offense

165- had pinned finals opponent a year ago, who kept trying the same move, won three squeakers to get to final

174- historically has owned his finals opponent, only won by two in the semis

184- three regular decisions before the final, historically has owned his finals opponent, almost self-pinned in the finals and had to bridge/kick out

197- Two newcomers in the final- this weight had no "man-drama" associated with it, finals match was a snorer

285-  champ has 3 decisions to end the tournament, ekes out the win at the end of the match against an astronaut

Realistically, the OW could have went to any number of wrestlers.

But if you measured it just by team points, then yes, it should have went to Spencer Lee.

If you judge it on "clutch-ness", it would be Bo.

My choice would have been Zahid. He really showed up in the final.