Sign in to follow this  
Serial_Thriller

You guys remember how the Hodge Trophy became a joke?

The joke is people calling these awards a joke because they don't agree with the recipient.

It was voted on, which means multiple people voted for the winner, more so than anyone else in contention, but I don't like it so it's a joke.

That George Carlin pic posted in the "freshman" thread seems real appropriate here.

Just curious, do you think Metcalf should have gotten the Hodge?

To be honest I don't remember what my opinion of him winning was at the time. But that's not my point. My point isn't whether or not I agreed with it, my point is, if I didn't, even if I strongly didn't, I don't think it's a joke just because I didn't agree with it. It's rare there's a voted on award where everyone agrees with the recipient. In fact there's probably occasions where agreement is split 50/50. That doesn't make the award a joke. And frankly arguing such is kind of a slap in the face to those who win it. Just sayin.

The Hodge Trophy was created 24 years ago to bring more media recognition to wrestling, to promote pinning/dominance and to honor the legacy of Dan Hodge. To date over 1 million people have seen the trophy presented in person at wrestling banquets and at halftimes of football games.  Sports information offices of the winning colleges promote the winners heavily and all wrestlers who have won it have expressed great pride in having a Hodge Trophy. Many young wrestlers say that winning the Hodge is one of their main goals.

The voting is done by a number of retired coaches, leaders in various wrestling organizations, past winners, select media and also includes fan voting. Last year over 20,000 fans voted online. Just like anything else in life, you may disagree with the final outcome but it seems unfair to call it a joke. One final point - the entire Hodge family is very proud of this award.

- Mike Chapman, creater of WIN Magazine, the WIN Memorabilia Show, the International Wrestling Institute and Museum

and the Dan Hodge Trophy    

So long as  those awards aren't taken very serious , I don't see the harm in handing them to who ever they see fit.   Someone mentioned Ackerman above and he's a great example.   They wanted him to have a piece so they gave him one.   Good for them.     

To be honest I don't remember what my opinion of him winning was at the time. But that's not my point. My point isn't whether or not I agreed with it, my point is, if I didn't, even if I strongly didn't, I don't think it's a joke just because I didn't agree with it. It's rare there's a voted on award where everyone agrees with the recipient. In fact there's probably occasions where agreement is split 50/50. That doesn't make the award a joke. And frankly arguing such is kind of a slap in the face to those who win it. Just sayin.

Well, millions on here said it was a joke giving it to Metcalf, so I'm "jus saying".

Well, millions on here said it was a joke giving it to Metcalf, so I'm "jus saying".

Millions? You sure about that? Seems like your exaggerated just a tad to try and strengthen your stance.

Not to mention, whatever the true number of those on here who didn't agree with it (which was far less millions), it was also right at the peak of the Iowa hatefest, with brands ditching VT and all the transfers. I'm sure that had absolutely nothing to do with It. Because I mean, there's never any comments on here bore out of hate. Never. Come on man.

Have a nice day.

Edited by Lurker

Millions? You sure about that? Seems like your exaggerated just a tad to try and strengthen your stance.

Not to mention, whatever the true number of those on here who didn't agree with it (which was far less millions), it was also right at the peak of the Iowa hatefeat, with brands ditching VT and all the transfers. I'm sure that had absolutely nothing to do with It. Come on man.

Have a nice day.

Wow.. who knew that themat.com had so many viewers 10 years years ago! Wrestling viewership has really  been on a huge decline I guess!

To further my point, and pardon me for a minute here while I use factual information and logic, let's look at the winners since your Metcalf reasoning: Herbert, Ness, Burroughs, Taylor, Dake, Taylor, Steiber, Derringer, Retherford.

All jokes I guess

Edited by Lurker