Sign in to follow this  
DF

Isn't a true freshman supposed to be 17-18 years old?

I'm guessing however Mark Hall has won MANY an age group tourney since he was young up until juniors. So that type of success throws out the idea he NEEDED an edge.

Not up until juniors, but through juniors. A couple gold medals...

Geez, he has an october birthday,  In PA the cutoff is September.  There would have to have been a compelling reason to start him the year before.  Although I suspect the OP knows this and was stirring the pot and is laughing at 3 plus pages of comments

Not to rattle my own pots and pans...but i walked on at MSU as a 17 yr old freshman...turned 18 Dec 11, 1971 and won the NCAA's March 11, 1972.  I was exactly 18 yrs. 3 months old....according to Jay Hammond, it is the youngest age in NCAA wrestling history for an NCAA champion.  A little known fact for some reason. There were only 6 places back then, not including me, four seniors and one junior.  Thank you very much.

Not to rattle my own pots and pans...but i walked on at MSU as a 17 yr old freshman...turned 18 Dec 11, 1971 and won the NCAA's March 11, 1972.  I was exactly 18 yrs. 3 months old....according to Jay Hammond, it is the youngest age in NCAA wrestling history for an NCAA champion.  A little known fact for some reason. There were only 6 places back then, not including me, four seniors and one junior.  Thank you very much.

A spectaculiar achievement, you're resume is legendary.  But just about everyone starts at 6 years old today, the "experience" advantage isn't reserved for only a few in each weightless like in the 60's ...70's.  

What college kid is 17? When I was a freshman there were none that I can think of. I graduated HS at 18 and came in to college at 19 (summer bday). He seems like he is average age.

I started College in August at age 16 (for 2-3 weeks), My Birthday is September.

You are mixing things up.  The OP is talking about the 19 year old Spencer Lee; unless things have *really* changed lately, pretty sure Iowa isn't in the Ivy League.  Yianni at Cornell is only 18 (according to him; I don't know his birthdate).

My bad.

I started College in August at age 16 (for 2-3 weeks), My Birthday is September.

Did you skip a grade somewhere?  I'm surprised, too, at the poster that said what college kid is 17?  Um, all the September babies (me), and dependent on starting dates, a few from August (my younger sister).  Heck, my dad is an October birthday and they let him start first grade at 5 (delayed college entrance, though - started at 44 :-)  And if Pat Milkovich hasn't disappeared, how did he finish high school so young - early start or skip a grade?

No. True freshmen are supposed to be 18 to start the school year and turning 19 before the next school year. No true freshman is 17 unless they skipped a grade.

Incorrect - A student can start college at 17 as a true freshman. It depends on what state they are from when they started school. States have different dates when kids can start school. There a lot of kids in California that graduate and start college at 17 because of the cut off date of starting kindergarten or first grade. My nephew will be 17 in college because he has a late September birthday. 

Incorrect - A student can start college at 17 as a true freshman. It depends on what state they are from when they started school. States have different dates when kids can start school. There a lot of kids in California that graduate and start college at 17 because of the cut off date of starting kindergarten or first grade. My nephew will be 17 in college because he has a late September birthday. 

Following on this where the original post said true freshman are supposed to be 18 to start the school year - do any colleges have minimum ages for enrollment?  Being very cynical here, I would think they would only care if you've completed high school and your/your parents' tuition checks don't bounce.  I've never heard of a college having a minimum age, although they'd have to make allowances for a very young student.  I had a friend, her school had one of these genius types, started at her college when he was 12, expected to cure cancer and solve the Mideast problems before he became President...  She spoke with him a few times, said he was very - different.

Geez, he has an october birthday, In PA the cutoff is September. There would have to have been a compelling reason to start him the year before. Although I suspect the OP knows this and was stirring the pot and is laughing at 3 plus pages of comments

Keep in mind that the “cutoff” you are citing is a minimum requirement. i.e., must be at least 5 by 1-Sep to enroll in kindergarten. Here’s an excerpt from an article in a PA paper the covers the topic:

“In 78 percent of school districts in Pennsylvania, the cut-off date for a child entering kindergarten is Sept. 1 for the pupil to turn 5. Even more districts in Allegheny County -- 85 percent -- use the Sept. 1 cut-off, including the Bethel Park, Gateway, North Hills and Pine-Richland school districts. Pittsburgh Public Schools also uses the Sept. 1 cutoff date for kindergarten enrollment.”

http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/lifestyles/family/s_737333.html

Another thing to consider when evaluating the window for enrollment is compulsory age, the statutory age by when the child must be in school. If you know the minimum age and the compulsory age, you have a window as wide as 2-3 years depending on the state in question.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/statereform/tab5_3.asp.

As an example, I live in NV. My son is in pre-K and will turn 6 next month. Assuming he does not skip a grade in the process, that projects him to be 18 in April of his JR year, graduating HS as a 19 year old.

I personally don’t agree with the idea of doing a 7th grade RS. I believe it’s best for the kid to do it up-front at kindergarten. It saves a lot of headaches and accusations down the line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

Keep in mind that the “cutoff” you are citing is a minimum requirement. i.e., must be at least 5 by 1-Sep to enroll in kindergarten. Here’s an excerpt from an article in a PA paper the covers the topic:

“In 78 percent of school districts in Pennsylvania, the cut-off date for a child entering kindergarten is Sept. 1 for the pupil to turn 5. Even more districts in Allegheny County -- 85 percent -- use the Sept. 1 cut-off, including the Bethel Park, Gateway, North Hills and Pine-Richland school districts. Pittsburgh Public Schools also uses the Sept. 1 cutoff date for kindergarten enrollment.”

Another thing to consider when evaluating the window for enrollment is compulsory age, the statutory age by when the child must be in school. If you know the minimum age and the compulsory age, you have a window as wide as 2-3 years depending on the state in question.

As an example, I live in NV. My son is in pre-K and will turn 6 next month. Assuming he does not skip a grade in the process, that projects him to be 18 in April of his JR year, graduating HS as a 19 year old.

I personally don’t agree with the idea of doing a 7th grade RS. I believe it’s best for the kid to do it up-front at kindergarten. It saves a lot of headaches and accusations down the line.

A question on this.  Is pre-K mandatory in NV?  Here in Virginia, the education associated has pushed to make pre-K full day and eventually mandatory, but so far mandatory enrollment starts with kindergarten.  I have to agree with you on the RS.  Although it's hard to project 12 years into the future for a child that young, a student held back in elementary or middle school always got looked at as 'different', fair or not.  Better to do it upfront if you don't think the child is ready to start.

All I know is being a parent is and was theeeeeee most difficult thing I have ever done. And I did it poorly but tried to the best of my ability. Gettin a PhD was easy for me. Finishing long course Ironman 13x is/was easy for me. Being dad is/was extremely difficult. I did hold my son back in 6th grade as he was immature and struggling in school. It didn’t help but it was worth the try.

A question on this. Is pre-K mandatory in NV? Here in Virginia, the education associated has pushed to make pre-K full day and eventually mandatory, but so far mandatory enrollment starts with kindergarten. I have to agree with you on the RS. Although it's hard to project 12 years into the future for a child that young, a student held back in elementary or middle school always got looked at as 'different', fair or not. Better to do it upfront if you don't think the child is ready to start.

Pre-K not mandatory in NV. Kindergarten is required.

In response to Xander, holding back in elementary would not be an option for my kids. Both are extremely intelligent. My 3rd grade daughter reads at an 8th grade level & takes math with the 5th graders in her school. My pre-K boy as already mastering math at a 3rd grade level via online teaching tools. Fortunately, their school recognizes aptitude and teaches to their level. The pre-K RS was the only option that made sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

78% of Pa requiring age 6 before Sept 1 to enter 1st grade differs from what I had read. I saw somewhere about 50% went with October 1. (back in the day when we had to walk 9 miles in 30 inches of snow, uphill both ways, it was ok to enter first  grade  if you turned 6 before Feb 1, 4-5 months younger than now.

But more significantly, had Lee redshirted 6th grade, he would be PIAA eligible this year, now you are eligible if not yet 19 on the July 1 before senior year.

78% of Pa requiring age 6 before Sept 1 to enter 1st grade differs from what I had read. I saw somewhere about 50% went with October 1.

now you are eligible if not yet 19 on the July 1 before senior year.

The source article was dated in 2011, so perhaps stats have changed since then?

The 19-year old criterion has been in place for quite some time, as it does not penalize kids who legitimately had to repeat a grade sometime during their educational history. 

Basically means you can be 19 throughout your senior year and be eligible.

Edited by lu_alum

Did you skip a grade somewhere?  I'm surprised, too, at the poster that said what college kid is 17?  Um, all the September babies (me), and dependent on starting dates, a few from August (my younger sister).  Heck, my dad is an October birthday and they let him start first grade at 5 (delayed college entrance, though - started at 44 :-)  And if Pat Milkovich hasn't disappeared, how did he finish high school so young - early start or skip a grade?

No I did not skip a grade, parents just put me in kindergarten when they did, 1st grade I was 4 for a couple of weeks then 5,  I was nothing special in academics or sports, I did Redshirt in college though, so I had 5 years with the team 4 and the redshirt,   It never crossed my mind to redshirt k-12 just to have an advantage in sports,  I think it is silly for a kid to be 19, 20,21 (With exception of older kids who were in WW 2) in high school just to get awards against younger kids, 1 year or 2 matters at the high school ages, staying back for 2 years for sports is an unfair advantage kind of like cheating in my opinion,   Sounds like I am being 2 faced, but if a kid is left back a year or 2 for Academic reasons and sports gives him the incentive to complete school and go to college it is a good thing, rather than the kid dropping out and getting into something negative (not a lot of options for most without at minimum a high school diploma) I am very old age 54 I heard nowadays they pass kids along if they are not doing well academically, just what I heard.

My birthday is in September. I started college at 17 years old and tuned 18 during my Freshman year.

My age is similar, with the exception of being born in early October. However, I went to school a year later than you.

In your experience, did you find that you were too young to sign up for organized activities (little league, soccer, youth football, Cub/Boy Scouts) with your classmates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

I have an October birthday and started Kindergarten when I was 4 because in OK at that time, the cutoff was November 1.  My daughter has an October Birthday and now in KS, the cutoff is Sept or August, so she started Kindergarten when she was a 5.

I started college when I was 17.  My freshman year, I wrestled a 5th year senior who was probably close to 5 years older than me.  It makes a difference.  I didn't redshirt, but had I done so, and started Kindergarten a year later, I think those two years could have made a difference and there is a better chance I would have been all-American.  But who knows?   I made big strides from Freshman to Sophomore year which age alone would not have done, but rather the experience of wrestling my freshman year helped in my development. 

But that's just the way it is.  I have read things that a lot of the great athletes were on the older end of the spectrum for their given sports.  Ex:  Gretzky's birthday falls in such a way that he was one of the older ones.  Gretzky was obvious a great athlete and probably would have been great at any sport, but being a little older probably allowed him to excel at hockey first given him confidence at that particular sport.

That being said, I believe we are nitpicking here.  Whether Lee or Yianni won nationals as a young freshman or as an old freshman is still impressive.