Sign in to follow this  
DF

Isn't a true freshman supposed to be 17-18 years old?

It depends on your school district/state when you can start kindergarten. Where my kids started school you had to be 5 before September 1. Both of my kids turned 6 within the first month of starting kindergarten.

It depends on your school district/state when you can start kindergarten. Where my kids started school you had to be 5 before September 1. Both of my kids turned 6 within the first month of starting kindergarten.

Correct.  The link showing requirements by state was listed in my post above.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/statereform/tab5_3.asp.

No I did not skip a grade, parents just put me in kindergarten when they did, 1st grade I was 4 for a couple of weeks then 5,  I was nothing special in academics or sports, I did Redshirt in college though, so I had 5 years with the team 4 and the redshirt,   It never crossed my mind to redshirt k-12 just to have an advantage in sports,  I think it is silly for a kid to be 19, 20,21 (With exception of older kids who were in WW 2) in high school just to get awards against younger kids, 1 year or 2 matters at the high school ages, staying back for 2 years for sports is an unfair advantage kind of like cheating in my opinion,   Sounds like I am being 2 faced, but if a kid is left back a year or 2 for Academic reasons and sports gives him the incentive to complete school and go to college it is a good thing, rather than the kid dropping out and getting into something negative (not a lot of options for most without at minimum a high school diploma) I am very old age 54 I heard nowadays they pass kids along if they are not doing well academically, just what I heard.

54 is pretty ancient - who works your computer thingy for you?

It's interesting to see the different cutoffs here, some states as early as Sept 1, others as late as December.  In this part of the world, my sister/self/father are Aug/Sep/Oct, each turned 6 in first grade.  Older sister/brother are Nov/Dec, each turned 7 in first grade.  Even there, that makes them 18 at graduation.  I'm surprised at people who say they're never met a 17-year old college freshman, or that 19 and still in h.s. isn't unusual.

And to get off track here, a story I tell now and then about a straight-out-of-Dickens factory my brother and I worked in one summer.  Very few of the adults completed high school, several ex-cons on the payroll.  One (not an ex-con) says, "I'll never forget getting my draft notice.  Sophomore year of high school, came home and there it was in the mailbox."  Uh, Gary, sophomore year?  "Yep, I was 19 years old."  We figured his principal gave the draft board a heads-up; I don't think he was on the Ivy League track.  The thing is, his Army time gave him the training and skills as a mechanic that served him well once he got out.