Sign in to follow this  
stp

St. Louis or Cleveland?

A lot of similarities in many respects. But one bad thing for Cleveland, they did a poor job getting people in quickly. I remember one time in St Louis the first round was slow but they improved. Every session here was difficult and they didn't open earlier or find other ways to speed up.

St. Louis and it's not close.  Cleveland has good wrestling fans but the tournament is at a point to where you could move it to most any major city and it would do well.  When is the NCAA going to try LA, San Diego, Dallas, Orlando, etc...?  

St. Louis and it's not close. Cleveland has good wrestling fans but the tournament is at a point to where you could move it to most any major city and it would do well. When is the NCAA going to try LA, San Diego, Dallas, Orlando, etc...?

Maybe when those areas start to push their colleges to develop wrestling programs. The Championships could really help give that a boost.

St. Louis and it's not close.  Cleveland has good wrestling fans but the tournament is at a point to where you could move it to most any major city and it would do well.  When is the NCAA going to try LA, San Diego, Dallas, Orlando, etc...?  

Don't forget about this: http://www.cbulancers.com/news/2017/1/13/general-cbu-announces-d1-wac-move. Unless something has changed, southern California (CBU is about 60 miles east of downtown Los Angeles)/LA could become a reality.

Edited by Tofurky

Staples is probably the only place that could hold it and the Lakers and Clips both use the facility.

I think the Honda Center is a better option to be honest.

I used to work in DTLA by Staples and it’s definitely not the best place to walk around if you don’t know the area.

There’s also a new arena opening up in San Fran for the warriors so hopefully that’s another option.

Edited by CatchWrestler74kg

I thought Cleveland did a great job!  The Q is a nice facility but i wish the floor was about 30 feet wider, I had great seats, but had trouble seeing mat 2 and mat 8 from my seats.  Other than that, the Q staff were awesome, from the parking garage folks to the security guards to the ushers, all were super nice.  Cleveland is a wrestling town and I think that was fairly evident. 

Cleveland downtown was way better. More restaurants and better things to do. St. Louis is hard to find food after the sessions are over without crowding into one of three close restaurants.

For it being Cleveland and all, it was really good.

How about Arizona? Arizona State deserves it.

Maybe the Bay Area of California? Stanford deserves it.

Provo or Salt Lake City,Utah? To support Utah Valley?

North Carolina? Support the program that just had it's first NCAA champion?

Virginia? Support Virginia Tech?

Put it in a good location with a school nearby that can use the boost for their program.

How about Arizona? Arizona State deserves it.

Maybe the Bay Area of California? Stanford deserves it.

Provo or Salt Lake City,Utah? To support Utah Valley?

North Carolina? Support the program that just had it's first NCAA champion?

Virginia? Support Virginia Tech?

Put it in a good location with a school nearby that can use the boost for their program.

I think it was discussed that Talking Stick Arena(where the Suns play) would not have the floor space. 

Last year at the NCAA, I asked different people in between session if they travel to the west coast if they hosted and everyone of them said they would. 

Edited by CatchWrestler74kg

I think the Honda Center is a better option to be honest.

I used to work in DTLA by Staples and it’s definitely not the best place to walk around if you don’t know the area.

There’s also a new arena opening up in San Fran for the warriors so hopefully that’s another option.

DTLA around Staples is light years better than it was just 5-10 years ago, with lots of adjacent entertainment, shopping, public spaces and amazing food & dining options. Very easy to get around also with the rail lines, ride sharing, bike sharing or on foot. No need to drive.

I mean, it's still a bit gritty and homelessness is a huge problem in LA and the big California metros in general, but Staples would be a fine venue. The area will probably continue change in leaps and bounds, hopefully for the better, between now and the 2028 Olympics. Not holding my breath for nationals in LA anytime soon, though.