Sign in to follow this  
stp

St. Louis or Cleveland?

Cleveland was absolutely fantastic.       The Q handled it well and despite St Patrick's day parade on Saturday, it was easy to get to and there was plenty to do  close by.   The Harry Buffalo was one of our more desired spots (Crazy Horse in the mix as well) and we spent considerable time there eating good food (The chorizo tacos were top notch and that chocolate chip cookie with the ice cream, to die for).  Parking was reasonable and we didn't feel gouged on prices.     

I met several friends from the North East and from the Midwest and we were able to get to and from with ease (I had a room at the 4 points near the airport) .    I wouldn't mind it in Cleveland again and in fact I hope it's there again soon.    Christa from Minnesota and Kaylee from Pitt were just dolls.   

How about Arizona? Arizona State deserves it.

Tempe/Phoenix would be fun.   Heck of a road trip for the B10 fans.

Not sure of wrestling fans, but tons of B10 football fans in the valley.  

Edited by stp

I think tickets are going to be scarce.

I would agree, but what about Pittsburgh as a host city? It's about 25% smaller than Clevo, so how is their public transit? Is the entertainment district close to the arena? What's the weather like these days in Pittsburgh at this time of year?

Having never been to Pittsburgh, I have to admit that after seeing "Slap Shot" as a kid, western PA really spoke to me and how I grew up. That and wrestling...

Selfishly, I wish Chicago (Illinois/NU/Northern Illinois) would bid, but I suspect that the unions in town would make the tickets astronomical, not unlike this year's Midlands. Storni, Heff and the guy currently at my alma mater need to start some conversation about making this happen.

Staples Center might be a scheduling challenge with 2 NBA and 1 NHL team (plus other pro events. Anaheim Honda Center (Ducks) and the Forum (older Pro Sports arena- now reopened for general use after a mega-church)  are both like 17,500 for hockey, thus on the small side by modern standards.  The old Sports Center(next to the Coliseum, USC, and Museum row,  which would have been inadequate anyway, has been torn down and replaced by an MLS stadium. UCLA also has a large arena but it is old and likely inadequate in many ways.

Only complaint about Cleveland was admissions gate. They should have opened two hours early, which apparently is what they normally do.

Good rapid transit in Cleveland. Key in the biggest cities.

UCLA also has a large arena but it is old and likely inadequate in many ways.

Pauley Pavilion was renovated 6 years ago. I think it's very nice. But with a capacity of ~13,000 it's too small. Plus, I don't expect the NCAA's to go back to a college campus. 

Good point about the floor space at the Pauley Pavilion. WBB, gymnastics and the men's NIT would probably take priority anyway. Plus, people say the new Pauley is cursed - MBB is about as blue blooded as they come and they have a very tough time and rarely sell out the venue, even with like Lonzo Ball, Russell Westbrook, Shaq (and his future Bruin son) and Jessica Alba in the bleachers.

How about Arizona? Arizona State deserves it.

Provo or Salt Lake City,Utah? To support Utah Valley?

I like Arizona for the tournament but would prefer to be in Tempe outside of the arena instead of downtown

Utah? I don't think there is enough beer in Utah for 3-5 days of wrestling fans

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/09/18/provos-2-bars-had-their-best-weekend-ever-thanks-to-beer-loving-wisconsin-fans-in-town-for-byu-game/

At least SLC has more than two bars

Ive been sitting in a suite the last several years. The front row of the suites in Cleveland there wasn’t enough leg room. (And I’m not a long legged guy).

The amount of bars/restaurants close to the arena in Cleveland was a plus.

My vote would have to go to St Louis between the two

I like Arizona for the tournament but would prefer to be in Tempe outside of the arena instead of downtown

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/09/18/provos-2-bars-had-their-best-weekend-ever-thanks-to-beer-loving-wisconsin-fans-in-town-for-byu-game/

love the beer quote.

Well, is the Arena near a ski resort? Even in Utah they will have beer! --- Actually, camping in the area this summer, I was surprised to get beer at 6:00 PM Sunday in a 7-11 near Dinosaur National Monument

One thing about Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania's most famous religious group does drink beer.  

I think the Honda Center is a better option to be honest.

I used to work in DTLA by Staples and it’s definitely not the best place to walk around if you don’t know the area.

There’s also a new arena opening up in San Fran for the warriors so hopefully that’s another option.

San Francisco is a slime pit...... that may be one place that MIGHT see a decline in attendance imo

San Francisco is a slime pit...... that may be one place that MIGHT see a decline in attendance imo

How so?  Just curious as I have only flown in and and out of San Fran.  Did not spend much time there, but I have heard good things, from the food, to the wine (Napa) and the history.  Spent some time across the bay in San Jose, but that is mostly big tech firms and more corporate. 

Cleveland did a great job, lots of huge bars within walking distance.  Our hotel was close too.  When you don't have to get in a car all weekend things are MUCH better off. 

St. Louis brings it every year.  Both are fine options moving forward. 

Pittsburgh worries me a bit as this is the first time the tourney is sold out before we had a chance to get tickets in 19 years.  We always order when at the current NCAAs for next year and there was already nothing when we tried.   Is their attendance smaller? 

Is their attendance smaller?

Yes, but not by much. Pretty close in size.

I think the problem is that Pittsburgh is nearly the exact center of D1 college wrestling (Newark, OH was the center the last time I calculated it). And on top of that there are more D1 schools in PA than anywhere else and Ohio and PA always have the most representation at the event.

As a result, I think there is just a lot of demand for tickets at the Pittsburgh location. Many people who can drive in for the event and don't need hotels.

The only complaint about Cleveland was the long walk to Fan Fest.

Agree, went to FF on Thursday and almost froze my you know what off.  Needless to say, didn't go back.  Arena was fine.  The huge screen and how they set it up was fantastic! Seating was a bit cramped, but it is that way everywhere.

Transportation by rail or car was fine.  Getting out of the parking structure next to the Q on Fri. evening was a nightmare.  Overall I liked STL better.

Yes, but not by much. Pretty close in size.

I think the problem is that Pittsburgh is nearly the exact center of D1 college wrestling (Newark, OH was the center the last time I calculated it). And on top of that there are more D1 schools in PA than anywhere else and Ohio and PA always have the most representation at the event.

As a result, I think there is just a lot of demand for tickets at the Pittsburgh location. Many people who can drive in for the event and don't need hotels.

Roger, thanks...  Could also be that people are getting smarter about procuring tickets/hotels while at the current tourney.  And maybe we slipped a little and tried later from the start time than usual.  Doesn't matter, we'll find tickets.  Not missing my 20th NCAA for anything!