Sign in to follow this  
Eagle26

184 final was disappointing as a fan

I really wanted to see 3 periods of that match! I knew Martin was going to wrestle more aggressively than he did at B1G, and it could've been an awesome match. I admit I am a little biased because I was rooting for tOSU, but it would've been cool to see the team race come down to Snyder v. Coon. It was definitely an exciting few seconds, but it could've been better even if you are a Penn State fan...imagine if it had been a back and forth match and then Nickal hits that move at the end of the 3rd!

Wtf this title

184 finals delivered in every way. Look at the NCAA Finals thread - even the Ohio State and non-PSU fans were like "WOW, what a crazy match!". I was literally screaming when it happened. Glad it happened on national TV because that's the sort of excitement that draws news fans to the sport.

Wtf this title

184 finals delivered in every way. Look at the NCAA Finals thread - even the Ohio State and non-PSU fans were like "WOW, what a crazy match!". I was literally screaming when it happened. Glad it happened on national TV because that's the sort of excitement that draws news fans to the sport.

Agreed. Plenty of people complain that Folkstyle is slow and boring compared to Freestyle. This type of match is exactly what gets wrestling fans pumped. Not in a mismatch type match, but when theirs two super studs going at it.

To me, it was anti-climatic. The finals last night were all a little anti-climactic. The favorite won every weight except possibly 197, which was a toss up weight class all year. Watching Lee all tournament, you knew he’d beat Suriano. Meredith, though he was the #1, had lost to Yianni previously. Snyder scores on a chance throw by. Definitely not as nuts as last year or the previous year.

Probably the most exciting moments were Yianni’s cradle and Hall and Valencia’s second period scramble sequence.

Edited by superbowlhomeboy

To me, it was anti-climatic. The finals last night were all a little anti-climactic. The favorite won every weight except possibly 197, which was a toss up weight class all year. Watching Lee all tournament, you knew he’d beat Suriano. Meredith, though he was the #1, had lost to Yianni previously. Snyder scores on a chance throw by. Definitely not as nuts as last year or the previous year.

Probably the most exciting moments were Yianni’s cradle and Hall and Valencia’s second period scramble sequence.

Joseph wasn't the favorite over IMAR.  Yianni wasn't the favorite over Meredith.  Technically Nolf wasn't seeded to win (although we all know he was the true favorite)

Anyone else notice that PSU was charged a team point after the 184lbs match when Nickal threw his headgear at Casey Cunningham?

I was going to ask about that in the live thread! After Bo tossed his headgear, I noticed the referee lifting one finger towards the scoring table and Nickal seeming to say "sorry" to the official while his arm was being raised. Thought it was funny bc the team race seemed tight and omg what if that team penalty costs them?

There was a bunch of headgear throwing after matches though, like Snyder I think after he beat Coon, but I'm not sure if they were all assessed penalties.

Joseph wasn't the favorite over IMAR.  Yianni wasn't the favorite over Meredith.  Technically Nolf wasn't seeded to win (although we all know he was the true favorite)

You’re right, Joseph was a slight underdog. I guess what I mean was that his win wasn’t a shock or even unexpected, especially since he pinned Martinez last year.

Ignore the seeds. Yianni was the favorite at 141 and had a win over Meredith heading into the match. As soon as Nolf took the mat Thursday it was obvious he would win. Even with a bad leg, he was untouchable.

I was going to ask about that in the live thread! After Bo tossed his headgear, I noticed the referee lifting one finger towards the scoring table and Nickal seeming to say "sorry" to the official while his arm was being raised. Thought it was funny bc the team race seemed tight and omg what if that team penalty costs them?

There was a bunch of headgear throwing after matches though, like Snyder I think after he beat Coon, but I'm not sure if they were all assessed penalties.

It was the way Nickal threw the headgear compared to Snyder. Nickal's was a fastball while Snyder's was more of a, "I'm never wearing headgear again" lob.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So you all don't think it would've been more exciting to see more than 30 sec. of great wrestling?! I love seeing falls and action like that, but it was a match I was really looking forward to and it ended too quickly. My point is it could've been much more exciting had we seen three great periods like that! 

I thought it was one of the most exciting finals sessions in recent years! Edited by Old Corps

Snyder also was penalized. 

As a fan I found it to be the very peak moment of excitement and if you were in the arena, you know the place came unglued.        I was seated with some of the Lock Haven Bald Eagles contingent and every last one of them leaped into the air and exulted in jubilation.   There was no post match crowd celebration which lasted longer.          What an unreal moment.