Sign in to follow this  
SetonHallPirate

Joe McFarland/Michigan

Barry Davis?

I kind of like the idea of Davis and McFarland ending their coaching days at same time. Lots of battles on the mats back in the early 80s, then coaching against each other all these years.

edit-they were also 'mates on '86 world freestyle team with Davis getting bronze at 125 and McFarland silver at 136.

Edited by KTG119

I'm not 100% convinced that Popolizio leaves NC State for Michigan, or Wisconsin for that matter. He's got a great thing going where he's at. While it is true that if either one of those programs showed up at his doorstep with lots of promises and a open check book who knows.

Anyway we have two Big Ten programs on the hunt for a head coach so it'll be interesting to see what happens. But I will say if I'm the AD at one of these schools, what do you do, do you go after another successful head DI coach like a Popolizio, do you go and go after a successful guy from a DII or DIII school? Do you try and lure a successful assistant coach like Lou Rosselli and give him the reins?

I know that during Gable's heyday, many of his wrestlers subsequently went on to become coaches, I wonder if we see the same thing with Cael? Does Casey Cunningham, Jake Varner or Cael's brother make the leap?

Does Bormet take over or do they do a full search?

I really can't see how it could be anyone other than Sean.  A proven coach who's helped bring the program up to its present level, bleeds maize and blue, and is practically at the helm already.

Kudos to McFarland for stepping down at the right time.  His team just had a fantastic season and he has a great recruiting class arriving in fall.  I think he recognizes his staff has carried the program for the last several years although he was smart enough to bring aboard great people like Bormet, Russell and Churella. 

Bormet sure seems like the guy who has made the biggest difference.  I'd be shocked if a succession plan wasn't already in place and that the AD is on board.  

Maybe the Michigan folk can help with this.

Status quo? You got with Bormet. You can continue to compete for individual national champs and getting the team on the podium. 

Next level? I was under assumption they have beautiful new facilities and some big money behind this program. I would expect the rich successful backers see Ohio State (bitter rival) and PSU competing for national titles and would start expecting the same.

Bormet is legit. He has been a huge part in getting UofM to where they are now. As good as Pop is, I am not sure he transitions smoothly into such a big Time Athletic department. That isn't to say he wouldn't do well, but if the name isn't Sanderson, Smith, Ryan or Brands you stick with Bormet.

Edited by MSU158

A little insight into Sean's influence:

Way back at the 2008 NCAAs, on the last day during the final consolation rounds, Northwestern's Dustin Fox, who was to wrestle JD Bergman for the heavyweight title that evening, walks over to the Michigan section, and in front of everybody, asks Sean for help on focusing for his task ahead that evening.  Sean was not yet back on the coaching staff and it wasn't an overly technical request, but he (Fox) didn't even try to make it a private conversation, and it struck me how he had no doubt that one of his former coaches would be there to help him.

It was therefore not too surprising to me that when they did the staff shakeup in 2010, they went after him.  At the time, Sean was doing very well financially with Overtime, and having fun training high school, collegiate and world level competitors from all over, so my guess is that in addition to a very generous package, Joe probably told him that he would get the reins after a certain period.  Similar to what Dale Bahr did to get Joe back to A2 from Indiana back in the 90s.  I'm hoping he'll be around for a while to take the program yet further.

I kind of like the idea of Davis and McFarland ending their coaching days at same time. Lots of battles on the mats back in the early 80s, then coaching against each other all these years.

edit-they were also 'mates on '86 world freestyle team with Davis getting bronze at 125 and McFarland silver at 136.

Both also wrestled similar styles, Davis more in your face, and McFarland angles, but still tactical wrestlers who did the best with what they had athletically. Always there. Always busy. Always in position. And never got tired.

Kudos to McFarland for stepping down at the right time. His team just had a fantastic season and he has a great recruiting class arriving in fall. I think he recognizes his staff has carried the program for the last several years although he was smart enough to bring aboard great people like Bormet, Russell and Churella.

Bormet sure seems like the guy who has made the biggest difference. I'd be shocked if a succession plan wasn't already in place and that the AD is on board.

Kudos indeed. Building a program, developing a staff, then leaving on your own terms is a wonderful accomplishment.

I've often wondered where MN would be today if Robinson had stepped aside instead of grabbing that last 5-year extension.

Just to throw this out there - how about Casey Cunningham? Do people think he'd be a good hc? Does he want to step into a bigger role elsewhere?

When people talk about Penn State's program, the lion's share of credit seems to go to Cael but I have to believe Casey is putting in some good work behind the scenes. So if you can't get Cael, why not go for his lieutenant? Plus Cunningham seems to have relationships and recruiting pull in the area, and could probably go a long way with Michigan's facilities, current roster, club, etc.

I guess this isn't just about UM, Cunningham might be a good fit for the Wisconsin or Pitt jobs also, but Michigan seems like it could be a dream destination if the Big Blue fans and administration can look past the "Michigan Man" requirement.

Just to throw this out there - how about Casey Cunningham? Do people think he'd be a good hc? Does he want to step into a bigger role elsewhere?

When people talk about Penn State's program, the lion's share of credit seems to go to Cael but I have to believe Casey is putting in some good work behind the scenes. So if you can't get Cael, why not go for his lieutenant? Plus Cunningham seems to have relationships and recruiting pull in the area, and could probably go a long way with Michigan's facilities, current roster, club, etc.

I guess this isn't just about UM, Cunningham might be a good fit for the Wisconsin or Pitt jobs also, but Michigan seems like it could be a dream destination if the Big Blue fans and administration can look past the "Michigan Man" requirement.

Is Pitt looking for a coach? Gavin just got the job last Spring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk